PDA

View Full Version : Potion question

talltwin36
2007-01-08, 02:00 PM
Ok I have a player and we are disagreeing on something.

How long does a potion last?

For example, a Bull's Strenght potion?

Do we assume it is cast with the lowert caster level and the duration is based on that? So if it is assumed with a 3rd level caster it would last for 3 minutes?

msquared

pestilenceawaits
2007-01-08, 02:03 PM
Ok I have a player and we are disagreeing on something.

How long does a potion last?

For example, a Bull's Strenght potion?

Do we assume it is cast with the lowert caster level and the duration is based on that? So if it is assumed with a 3rd level caster it would last for 3 minutes?

msquared

All magic items as far as I know are assumed to have been made at the lowest level that they can be made so for bulls strength it would be 3 minutes unless it was specially made at a higher level with an appropriately higher cost.

Thomas
2007-01-08, 02:05 PM
Potions have caster levels. The prices are calculated with the caster level. The default item prices (potions, wands, scrolls) in the DMG assume the minimum caster level (CL 1 for 1st, CL 3 for 2nd, CL 5 for 3rd, etc., except with, say, bard spells...).

You can get longer-lasting (and more effective) potions with higher CL and thus higher duration.

Pegasos989
2007-01-08, 02:12 PM
BTW, the exception to this is potion of bull's strenght which has been priced in DMG as if it was made with casterlevel 5 instead of 1. (I hear this has been inherited from earlier edition in which it made diffrence to effect or something.)

EDIT: Meant enlarge

talltwin36
2007-01-08, 02:25 PM
I know Bulls Strength needs caster level 3 to cast.

msquared

Fax Celestis
2007-01-08, 02:38 PM
...could you potentially make a potion of extended bear's endurance, for instance, using metamagic?

Kaerou
2007-01-08, 02:41 PM
I dont think so, though could be wrong.

You could make a potion at a higher caster level though, for example.. a caster level 10 potions of Bears Endurance for 10 minutes, or whatnot.

squishycube
2007-01-08, 02:43 PM
You can create a potion of any 3rd-level or lower spell that you know and that targets one or more creatures.
So a little metamagic is possible, and the combination you proposed is within the 3rd level limit. I'd allow it, and as I read it, so does the RAW.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-08, 02:50 PM
Sweet. I'll have to do that more often, then.

Pegasos989
2007-01-08, 03:54 PM
I know Bulls Strength needs caster level 3 to cast.

msquared

Ah, meant enlarge. Some brainfart I guess