PDA

View Full Version : Seeking a new grind.

TaRix
2013-11-07, 05:16 PM
I'm just looking for an extra-casual type game, really. Minesweeper can get pretty old. So, I was wondering if the Playgrounders knew of any game that fits the following:

1) Continual progression, sorta. Something that's more like a reward-Skinner box instead of a zappa-you-silly Skinner box. Bonus stars for progression in different areas/attributes for doing different things.
2) NO human interaction. Not even Facebook-type stuff. A Facebook game without the Facebook? Color me piqued. MMORPG? No no no.
3) NO installment plans. Free is nice, but I'd be willing to buy something. But only once. Microtransactions bother me.
4) Preferably for a desktop computer. Don't have a smartphone or tablet.
5) More interactivity than Progress Quest, probably less than, say, Skyrim.

Any recommendations?

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-11-07, 05:32 PM
Let me welcome you to Fallen London (http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/). It's a browser-based game that takes you through a quirky gothic narrative brimming with content. Human interaction is possible but it's a side activity (there's certain actions you can take that are non-essential to playing).

The only caveat is that yes, it has a sort of "microtransaction" economy, but the microtransactions are all about unlocking specific storylines that are nothing more than additional content and side quests. You're basically paying to read more story, but there's massive amounts of fiction and game outside of the "Fate-locked" storylets.

Otherwise, it's a casual game that only requires reading (and enjoying) the advance of the story in snippets, and then involves you making some choices on important storylines. There's also a tremendous sense of progression by the time you get further in.

Shovah
2013-11-07, 10:29 PM
I'm just looking for an extra-casual type game, really. Minesweeper can get pretty old. So, I was wondering if the Playgrounders knew of any game that fits the following:

1) Continual progression, sorta. Something that's more like a reward-Skinner box instead of a zappa-you-silly Skinner box. Bonus stars for progression in different areas/attributes for doing different things.
2) NO human interaction. Not even Facebook-type stuff. A Facebook game without the Facebook? Color me piqued. MMORPG? No no no.
3) NO installment plans. Free is nice, but I'd be willing to buy something. But only once. Microtransactions bother me.

Any recommendations?

I hate to do this, but.. Cookie Clicker (http://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/)?

Starwulf
2013-11-08, 12:17 AM
Let me welcome you to Fallen London (http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/). It's a browser-based game that takes you through a quirky gothic narrative brimming with content. Human interaction is possible but it's a side activity (there's certain actions you can take that are non-essential to playing).

The only caveat is that yes, it has a sort of "microtransaction" economy, but the microtransactions are all about unlocking specific storylines that are nothing more than additional content and side quests. You're basically paying to read more story, but there's massive amounts of fiction and game outside of the "Fate-locked" storylets.

Otherwise, it's a casual game that only requires reading (and enjoying) the advance of the story in snippets, and then involves you making some choices on important storylines. There's also a tremendous sense of progression by the time you get further in.

They changed the name? It wasn't always Fallen London was it? It used to be The Echo Bazaar. I haven't played the game in forever, got to the cap about a year and a half ago, and got irritated with grinding for the super hard to get stuff, and quit.

Seerow
2013-11-08, 12:20 AM
I hate to do this, but.. Cookie Clicker (http://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/)?

Came here to recommend this.

Corlindale
2013-11-08, 01:34 AM
The first Plants vs. Zombies is pretty fun and has a lot of content. Pretty easy and casual for the most part, only gets truly hard in some of the special minigames and survival challenges. Often you can just sit back and let your plants mow down some zombies.

Story mode also has the whole "reward" thing nailed - after almost every level you unlock a new plant (or other toy) to play with.

Starwulf
2013-11-08, 02:25 AM
Plants vs Zombies 2 has been released for android-based tablets(google play) and is free also ^^

Airk
2013-11-08, 10:07 AM
Plants vs Zombies 2 has been released for android-based tablets(google play) and is free also ^^

PvZ2 breaks the poster's rule #3.

PvZ1, however, is an excellent choice.

TaRix
2013-11-08, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by Shovah
I hate to do this, but.. Cookie Clicker?

Oh dear. It's both tacky and hilarious at the same time.
Still, it brought a grin to my mug (and a hankering for some sugar.)

Anything else? I admit it is kind of hard to topple Minesweeper and Bejeweled, but that's my aim.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-11-08, 11:11 AM
They changed the name? It wasn't always Fallen London was it? It used to be The Echo Bazaar. I haven't played the game in forever, got to the cap about a year and a half ago, and got irritated with grinding for the super hard to get stuff, and quit.
Yeah, the name was changed to something easier-to-pitch, basically. As to the cap, yeah...once you get to the cap, the best course of action is to wait some time for them to put new content in. (Because I think they might have new content up? They seem to always be adding new content. And apparently the "endgame" is being developed. As in, there will be an end. They released some previews of the end, and it sounds like, once you get there, major things will be shaken up in the 'Neath.)

Grif
2013-11-08, 12:20 PM

Any recommendations?

Plant Vs Zombie, if you haven't already played it. Great casual game, can be a massive timesink.

Otherwise, perhaps, Angry Birds. Yes, this is on the PC, and no, it doesn't have DLCs. At least the base game doesn't. (I have not played the expansions to comment on those.)

Tylorious
2013-11-08, 01:19 PM

Any recommendations?

Have you played the new Windows 8 version of Minesweeper? It is way better, and has an adventure mode where you sweep your way through levels of a dungeon. Very very fun.

Thiyr
2013-11-08, 03:33 PM
Candy Box (http://candies.aniwey.net/) could serve as something good as well.

Starwulf
2013-11-08, 06:08 PM
PvZ2 breaks the poster's rule #3.

PvZ1, however, is an excellent choice.

Wait, what? I have PvZ2 and I haven't had to shell out any cash for it yet. I mean, you can, but you can totally go through the entire game without buying anything, or at least, thus far that's been the case(I haven't beaten it yet)

Yeah, the name was changed to something easier-to-pitch, basically. As to the cap, yeah...once you get to the cap, the best course of action is to wait some time for them to put new content in. (Because I think they might have new content up? They seem to always be adding new content. And apparently the "endgame" is being developed. As in, there will be an end. They released some previews of the end, and it sounds like, once you get there, major things will be shaken up in the 'Neath.)

That sounds pretty cool that they are finally approaching the end ^^. Whatever happened to the thread that was up on these boards? We even had one of the devs from the game that fairly regularly posted on it.

Airk
2013-11-12, 09:51 AM
Wait, what? I have PvZ2 and I haven't had to shell out any cash for it yet. I mean, you can, but you can totally go through the entire game without buying anything, or at least, thus far that's been the case(I haven't beaten it yet)

Reading is hard? He specifically said that microtransactions bother him. He didn't say "Only microtransactions that are required to get through the game bother me."

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-11-12, 09:59 AM
That sounds pretty cool that they are finally approaching the end ^^. Whatever happened to the thread that was up on these boards? We even had one of the devs from the game that fairly regularly posted on it.
I'm guessing it probably faded. A lot of the discussion takes place on their own forums now.

Wookieetank
2013-11-12, 10:59 AM
I quite enjoy Triple Town myself as a time waster. I recommend buying it through steam or the like though, as it originated as a social media game, and if you play it for free you run into all the things you don't like. Its a match 3 game where as you make matches they upgrade into higher tier things: 3 bushes make a Tree, 3 trees make a house, 3 houses make a manor, and so on.

I'll also throw in for Cookie Cliker as well. Looking forward to the release of the dungeons, will give me something to do as I wait for my cookie total to get to the obscene number I need to buy my next upgrade.

Socratov
2013-11-12, 02:52 PM
damn you guys for leading me to cookieclicker :smallfurious:

Logic
2013-11-12, 03:36 PM
damn you guys for leading me to cookieclicker :smallfurious:

Maybe I was playing the game wrong, but I was bored after 154 cookies.

Socratov
2013-11-12, 04:02 PM
been busy for 4 hours and still not done...

Seerow
2013-11-12, 04:24 PM
been busy for 4 hours and still not done...

I know people who have gotten lost for weeks.

Tavar
2013-11-12, 04:39 PM
I might suggest Defenders quest. You can try a free demo on kongregate(which takes through the first chapter of the game). Pretty fun tower defense, and if you finish the main game it has a new game plus mod.

At the moment, you can get the original game and preorder the sequel for 15 dollars.

Wookieetank
2013-11-12, 04:58 PM
I know people who have gotten lost for weeks.

*raises hand* I've been playing off and on since I found it in september. It gets updated rather frequently (every 2 weeks or so) with new content and such. Restarting your game gives you heavenly chips, which provide CRAZY production bonuses (I have 2.8 quadrillion or quitillion (forget which) percent increase in cookie production currently). My current cookie bank hovers around 1.7*e^22 and I have to wait awhile to buy any more upgrades.

Cogwheel
2013-11-12, 05:01 PM
I'll leave A Dark Room (http://adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com/) here, I guess.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-11-12, 05:08 PM
I might suggest Defenders quest. You can try a free demo on kongregate(which takes through the first chapter of the game). Pretty fun tower defense, and if you finish the main game it has a new game plus mod.

At the moment, you can get the original game and preorder the sequel for 15 dollars.

If we're promoting Tower Defense, I'll recommend Kingdom Rush (http://www.kingdomrush.com/index.php), which is available for free as a flash game and can be purchased on mobile. While it does have a premium version (at least for the free one, they probably give it to you if you buy it on mobile), it's just "pay once, get these extra levels and some free upgrade points", not microtransactions. Like a DLC that is somewhat pay-to-win (fifteen upgrade points is a free hero or a bunch of buffs).

Tavar
2013-11-12, 05:19 PM
Eh, I've found kingdom rush and similar games to be more like puzzle games, not td. And I've never really wanted to replay them.

Wookieetank
2013-11-12, 06:03 PM

Curses! As if Cookie Clicker and Candy Box 2 weren't enough ><

Triaxx
2013-11-12, 06:36 PM
Dwarf Fortress? Human interaction completely optional, and only exists on the forums when you go for help.

Battle for Wesnoth can be pretty grindy.

Fallout 2 is pretty grindy, and fun. Especially if you make the trek to level 99.

Cogwheel
2013-11-12, 07:17 PM
Curses! As if Cookie Clicker and Candy Box 2 weren't enough ><

This is actually good, though.

Domochevsky
2013-11-12, 07:33 PM
This is actually good, though.

What exactly is supposed to happen there? The site is just blank, with nothing on it. (Even with js allowed.)

Starwulf
2013-11-12, 07:51 PM
Reading is hard? He specifically said that microtransactions bother him. He didn't say "Only microtransactions that are required to get through the game bother me."

Rude much? He said he doesn't like micro-transactions, which generally implies he doesn't like them in games where they are required to make meaningful progress, or likely(as is usually the attitude) where they give a very significant advantage over those who do not use micro-transactions. Plants vs Zombies two is entirely completable without using money on the game, doing so does NOT give you a significant advantage, nor does it make the game that much easier that it's hard to resist spending the money. Therefore PvZ2 is a perfectly acceptable game for the OP. Having said that, maybe it would be advisable to remember what your mother likely told you, and that is: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all ><

Edit: Heck, after re-reading the OP, I don't even think either of us interpreted it right. To me, it sounds like the OP is clearly saying he doesn't like to be nickel and dimed over lots of small content upgrades(ie: DLCs) for free games. He'd much rather pay one solid price for a game. Either way, PvZ2, like the first, is an entirely free game, that does allow you to get better plants earlier on if you want to spend money, but is not necessary at all in order to progress and beat the game.

Tavar
2013-11-12, 08:27 PM
What exactly is supposed to happen there? The site is just blank, with nothing on it. (Even with js allowed.)

Something must be broken on your end. Are you on a tablet of some kind? Or possibly the browser has a conflict? I'm using Chrome and it works.

TaRix
2013-11-13, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Just got a quadrillion cookies today and staved off a grandmacolypse. Could I take it in a different direction, though? I was just finishing up Rune Factory 4 and enjoyed how my little munchkin grew--more endurance (and magic for some reason) by farming, stronger by fighting, smarter by casting, more capable by crafting, more resistant by succumbing to (and inflicting) ailments. Kinda like FFII or even Skyrim, but still fun.

I guess it's odd, asking for an MMO-type character growth without the MMO. Farmville without the Facebook; Ultima Online or Runescape (haven't played either, but from hearsay) without the Online (or caps).

Triaxx
2013-11-13, 07:49 AM
Dwarf Fortress: Adventure Mode?

Wookieetank
2013-11-13, 09:26 AM
If you're looking for non-MMO type mmo games I reccommend the following:
Final Fantasy 12 (PS2)
Dragon Quest IX (DS)

Both of these play very much like an MMO, crazy ammounts of sidequests, crazy ammounts of customization, huge open worlds (more so in FF12 than DQIX early on at least), and obnoxious gimmicks and/or grinds to get the best equipment (looking at you Zodiac Spear ><).

Airk
2013-11-13, 09:29 AM
Rude much?

Maybe, and if so, sorry, but I _HATE_ it when someone posts something like:

"Looking for a game. Must not be:

#1: Fantasy
#2: Free with microtransactions
#3: Mobile
#4: Turn based"

And the someone comes in and says "X is great! you should totally play it!" when it is a turn based fantasy game. This rouses my ire.

He'd much rather pay one solid price for a game. Either way, PvZ2, like the first, is an entirely free game, that does allow you to get better plants earlier on if you want to spend money, but is not necessary at all in order to progress and beat the game.

I dunno, he specifically said he didn't want games with microtransactions.

Socratov
2013-11-13, 11:49 AM
Well, you could always try minecraft in solo mode. You just pick a famous buidling or structure and build it. when done pick the next until you run out of materials, structures to build or building space. It's about 10 bucks these days? No microtransactions. If you want (but you obvioulsy don't) you can go to servers to interact with people.

Animastryfe
2013-11-13, 01:04 PM

I was going to post this too. Unfortunately, I lost progression twice because I use incognito mode, and restarted my computer.

Starwulf
2013-11-17, 03:04 AM
Whoever mentioned Cookie Clicker....I hate you now(not really). I'm just about to cross the 10billion cookies a second threshold, and have baked 3quadrillion cookies total. About to do a soft reset though so I can get Heavenly chips.

Cogwheel
2013-11-17, 03:09 AM
While I do not understand people who play Cookie Clicker, I nevertheless suggest this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOVHGOVcI6s) for such games.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-11-17, 03:31 AM
Anything else? I admit it is kind of hard to topple Minesweeper and Bejeweled, but that's my aim.

If you have an iPhone, Drop 7 is a fun little game that has occupied much of my time, as is Dots.

Just saw you didn't want mobile games. Nevermind. :smallbiggrin:

TaRix
2013-11-17, 02:27 PM
I have a 3DS. Just nothing IOS or Android-compatible.

Eonas
2013-11-17, 02:39 PM
freerice.org is as 'pointlessly' grind-y as cookieclicker, but it's not pointless: you actually learn and exercise skill, and for every problem you solve, 10 grains of rice are donated to the needy. So it's addictive AND helpful, both to you and others.

Wookieetank
2013-11-18, 09:04 AM
freerice.org is as 'pointlessly' grind-y as cookieclicker, but it's not pointless: you actually learn and exercise skill, and for every problem you solve, 10 grains of rice are donated to the needy. So it's addictive AND helpful, both to you and others.

I'll +1 this and throw in that you'll learn some nice strong words for the scrabble board as well :smallwink:

Shadow of the Sun
2013-11-19, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Just got a quadrillion cookies today and staved off a grandmacolypse. Could I take it in a different direction, though? I was just finishing up Rune Factory 4 and enjoyed how my little munchkin grew--more endurance (and magic for some reason) by farming, stronger by fighting, smarter by casting, more capable by crafting, more resistant by succumbing to (and inflicting) ailments. Kinda like FFII or even Skyrim, but still fun.

I guess it's odd, asking for an MMO-type character growth without the MMO. Farmville without the Facebook; Ultima Online or Runescape (haven't played either, but from hearsay) without the Online (or caps).

To me, this points to roguelikes, although they're not really 'casual games'. They are, however, the kind of game you can save and walk away from and come back too, so if you just want to play for a while, they're pretty fun.

I suggest you try three.

1. Nethack. The big daddy of roguelike games, the one by which others are measured- it's based on 2nd edition DnD, I think, and you level up and fight monsters. Very in depth, though. I've been playing it for years and I haven't won it yet.

2. Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. Crawl, as I'll call it, is a pretty fun game. The skill system is more akin to Skyrim than that of NetHack, and the mechanics and play is a lot less punishing. I haven't played this as much, but I really like it.

Both of the above games are ASCII games; the one below, however, is not.

3. Dungeons of Dredmor. I know a lot of people who love this game. It has an offbeat sense of humour (LUTEFISK FOR THE LUTEFISK GOD!), actual sprite graphics, and good mechanics. This one, unlike the other two, costs money and does have DLC, however, DLC is entirely optional, and there aren't microtransactions.

These are just three of the many, many, many roguelikes out there, but they'll be enough to get you going. I personally like some of the more out-there roguelikes, such as DOOM:RL, which is, yes, DOOM as a turn based dungeon crawler.

Cogwheel
2013-11-19, 11:04 AM
Snip

Not a fan of Nethack for a few reasons, but I can get behind pretty much all of this post. Tales of Maj'Eyal (we've got a thread going) might fit the criteria well too, in that it has unlocks to keep you going. Though I believe DoomRL has those too? At least in terms of challenges.

Risk of Rain is pretty good too, and is, again, unlock-heavy, but I believe you wanted something turn-based, and RoR is an action-platformer, so that's right out.

TaRix
2013-11-19, 12:29 PM
While I do like roguelikes to an extent, I don't think these are what I meant. Getting tougher and cooler is nice, until you screw up once. Then it's all erased.

Mistakes like that happen much more when I'm in 'zone-out' mode and opt to play to kill time (like waiting for stores to open, folks to arrive, something to finish cooking, that sort of thing).

My only true success was a completed game of NetHack as a rogue of some sort, but it was heavily helped by wiki tips and spoilers. Had some close calls on the others you mentioned, but ultimately couldn't make it. Losing 48-hr gametime characters burns me out quickly.
Elona isn't too bad in this regard, but I still wouldn't mind to see something new.

Cogwheel
2013-11-19, 01:03 PM
While I do like roguelikes to an extent, I don't think these are what I meant. Getting tougher and cooler is nice, until you screw up once. Then it's all erased.

Mistakes like that happen much more when I'm in 'zone-out' mode and opt to play to kill time (like waiting for stores to open, folks to arrive, something to finish cooking, that sort of thing).

My only true success was a completed game of NetHack as a rogue of some sort, but it was heavily helped by wiki tips and spoilers. Had some close calls on the others you mentioned, but ultimately couldn't make it. Losing 48-hr gametime characters burns me out quickly.
Elona isn't too bad in this regard, but I still wouldn't mind to see something new.

It's largely why I recommended unlock-y ones so you keep something from your runs. ToME also has multiple lives and difficulty settings if you like something more forgiving. That said, I can definitely see why it wouldn't be what you were looking for.

Wookieetank
2013-11-19, 01:07 PM
Also for Dredmor it has an easy mode that allows saving and reloading when you die. If you play on the harder difficulties it does keep permadeath though.

Thiyr
2013-11-20, 12:14 AM
For a more forgiving roguelike-like game, Rogue Legacy is a good one that is in some ways fairly forgiving. Yes, you will die a lot. But the game is literally designed around it, what with that being the only way to acquire upgrades, which allow you to do better, which allow more expensive upgrades, rinse repeat.

Shadow of the Sun
2013-11-20, 02:46 AM

Doom The Roguelike is specifically designed so that you can go through a game on your coffee break. It doesn't take anywhere near as long to build up your character, things are quick, and I enjoy the game, especially since it has all the original music from Doom.

hamtopia
2013-11-20, 01:23 PM

I recommend Desktop Dungeons (http://www.desktopdungeons.net/).
Desktop Dungeons is a "roguelike" that can be won (or lost) in about 10 minutes.
You can try the free version and if you like it you can then buy the full game that was just released.