PDA

View Full Version : |Class| Healer Class Improvents Ideas

silverwolf
2007-01-08, 02:26 PM
just for pure raw flavor purposes i am going to try to gather up ideas for a alternitve healer class that deos not suck so badly.

the standerds of the Healers class such as removing fear disesse posions and such ontop of. Removing the no metal armor rule. including medium armor that can be worn. Spontanous casting. add the paladiens lay of hands. and bring in a few of the dragon shamens healing auras and resistance to energys and the marshals increase of ac and immunity to mybe fear or whatever. cleric bab

1. spontanous spells
2. lay of hands
3.cleric bab and medium armor also allowing metal
4. Major and Minor arua system simlar to the marshals (ill look into a few from the dragons shamens area)

others please make suggestions. am not trying to make another cleric. am trying to use some of the new classes to make a new healer then gather it all up and try to make a new class with all the info.

Glooble Glistencrist
2007-01-08, 05:18 PM
Clerics can wear metal armor. They're also proficient with medium and heavy armor. I'm not really sure what you're getting at.

silverwolf
2007-01-08, 05:28 PM
I mean you have warmage dread necromancer and a few other magic specifics. I want to make this focus class more useable.

Roderick_BR
2007-01-08, 07:08 PM
Make it more like a Final Fantasy's white mage, maybe. Little armor, and give him move spells, like a sorcerer, and expontaneous casting. For flavor, a healer is more skilled in casting than in fighting.

sigurd
2007-01-08, 07:56 PM
Problem with healers is not in the class but in the role. Players tend to treat the class, and the other players using them, as spare heal potions.

The effect is that a healer is rather like a pile of otherwise forgotten luggage. Healing just isn't very exciting.

If you want to mix up healing offer a chance for necromancers (or arcane casters) to cast heal spells with a level penalty (say 3).

Perhaps a white Necromancer with extra spells to ensnare the senses...

S

The_Pope
2007-01-08, 10:55 PM
The Healer class works fine enough if you simply allow them to cast the spells on their spellsheet spontaneously. The problem is, as Sigurd said, is how they are treated and played. I have to say, that I loved healers back in 1st (I believe it was first introduced in Dragon Magazine way back when), and the way they were treated in one of my DM's games made them very well recieved by everyone.

What people fail to realize is the healer can be the differance between life and death in a group. Think of it this way, if one of the party members pisses you off, you dont have to heal them. You can leave them to fester in their own wounds for being a jerk. Thats one other thing that should be fixed, the stupid alingment requirement. Your job is real easy and cut out for you as a healer. Someone gets hurt, you heal them. Though, this means you have to duck and dodge your way through combat, so there is no lack of thrill for the player. And come on, you can get a friggin couatl companion. Sheesh.

Roderick_BR
2007-01-09, 05:39 AM
The Pope has spoken.
That's exacly that. The healer is a lighter version of the cleric. Give him a sorcerer's ability to cast any spell they know without memorization, give them a lot of healing/support kind of spells, and you'll have a cool kind of character. Believe me, any group will treat well the guy that is always keeping them out of trouble. In our group, the guy with the druid was always the healer, and while people picked on him, he was always respected.
The only thing we need to remember is that this will not be a battling class. He will not go into battle with armor and weapon, nor will be shoting attack spells from far. He should also get a large skill selections to make him more useful.