PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Mundane [3.5]

zlefin
2013-11-07, 11:21 PM
This is meant to be a very powerful but mundane class, that can party with well-played tier 1/2s without being completely outclassed and useless.
It's also glaringly overpowered compared to other mundanes, rather unsurprisingly.
It was made in response to the recent tier 1 fighter/mundane discussions.

It is currently estimated at low tier 2/very high tier 3.

Awesome Mundane

Alignment: any
Hit die: d20
Class Skills: all skills are class skills for the awesome mundane.
Skill points: (60+int mod) * 4 at first level; 60+int mod at all other levels.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+2|Ace of all trades, Awesome stats, Awesome Resistance

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3|

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+3|Evasion

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+4|Uncanny Dodge

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+4|

6th|
+6|
+5|
+5|
+5|Mettle

7th|
+7|
+5|
+5|
+5|Sudden Counter

8th|
+8|
+6|
+6|
+6|Improved Evasion

9th|
+9|
+6|
+6|
+6|Improved Uncanny Dodge

10th|
+10|
+7|
+7|
+7|

11th|
+11|
+7|
+7|
+7|

12th|
+12|
+8|
+8|
+8|Everready

13th|
+13|
+8|
+8|
+8|

14th|
+14|
+9|
+9|
+9|

15th|
+15|
+9|
+9|
+9|

16th|
+16|
+10|
+10|
+10|

17th|
+17|
+10|
+10|
+10|

18th|
+18|
+11|
+11|
+11|

19th|
+19|
+11|
+11|
+11|

20th|
+20|
+12|
+12|
+12|[/table]

Proficiencies: The awesome mundane is proficient with all weapons and armor, including exotics.

Ace of All Trades(ex): The awesome mundane gains a bonus to all skills equal to five times his class level.

Awesome Stats(ex): The awesome mundane gains a bonus equal to his class level to the following: all of his base stats (strength, dexterity, constitution, intelligence, wisdom, and charisma); attack rolls; initiative rolls; armor class, as a dodge bonus; damage rolls. He also gains a bonus to his base move speed equal to his class level times ten.

Awesome Resistance(ex): The awesome mundane gains a bonus to all saves equal to half his class level rounded up.

Evasion(ex), Uncanny Dodge(ex), Improved Evasion(ex), Improved Uncanny Dodge(ex): as per PHB

Mettle(ex): If the awesome mundane succeeds on a will or fortitude save against an attack with a partial effect on a successful saving throw, he instead completely negates the effect.

Sudden Counter(ex): As an immediate action, you may move your speed and then make one attack. In addition to the normal cost of an immediate action (which is your next turn's swift action) this also costs your move action for the next turn. You may use this ability to interrupt another's action, as if you had a readied action. You cannot use this ability on your turn if you have already moved on your turn.

Everready(ex): The awesome mundane can never be flatfooted.

----- end of class

Note: while you gain few specific abilities at higher levels, make sure to look up epic skill uses.

The following ability was rejected for making the class too magical, and power level concerns:
Awesome Crafting (ex): you can craft magic items without the prerequisites or feats; but you do so at the speed of normal item crafting rather than the magic item crafting speed; the DC for such crafting is 20+ (the caster level of the item) * 4. Which crafting skill applies to which magic items will be determined by the DM.

An ability which would make the character not fail any saves on a 1 was omitted for power level limits; as was a similar ability which would allow him saves at a penalty on spells, spell-likes, and su things which didn't allow one normally.

SyfteStormcrow
2013-11-08, 12:05 AM
60+INT*4+60+INT+Extra from rise in Int per level...

Can you even fit that many skill points in the 3.5 skill set? o.o

This class has left me speechless.

Always wanted to be able to move 230 feet in a round, though!

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-11-08, 03:07 AM
A poorly balanced and mechanically boring class that, while being horribly overpowered (numerically speaking), probably ends up Tier 3 only because of skill shenanigans. Still can't compete with Tier 1 or 2 classes except in the areas where it's staggeringly broken (with over +100 to Bluff and Diplomacy, for example).

I know I could never run this in my games...firstly for it's attempt to make raw numbers fill the tier gap, and secondly because I don't think I have a player who wouldn't find this class both silly and boring. There's nothing you DO as this class...you just basically get big numbers.

TripleD
2013-11-09, 12:14 PM
Give it back Awesome Crafting, but change it to say that all crafting checks are done in gold and by the day.

Combine this with the ability boost and universal proficiency and my plans for the Masterwork Rowboat wielder with come to fruition.