PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Rebuilding monster entries: ECL-appropriate items grant higher CR?

Maginomicon
2013-11-08, 02:28 AM
Let's set aside for a moment any opinions on whether the CR system is horribly broken. That's not what this thread is for.

I'm looking at rebuilding some monsters that use equipment. That is, instead of the equipment they're given in their stat block (which would make sense if they were living in a cave somewhere), they have other equipment that's appropriate. The question is, what equipment would be appropriate?

For example, an azer has 2 HD. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as an ECL 2 creature that makes him qualify for the loot of an ECL 2 NPC. The Magic Item Compendium section on equipping NPCs by Item Level says that an ECL 2 NPC has an Item Level loadout of "3,3,2" since (as the SRD page on treasure states) NPCs are likely to keep their most liquid assets safe at home. Thing is, an Item Level loadout of "3,3,2" means two items worth up to 800gp and an item worth up to 400gp. The Item Levels system then says you can trade out these items for fewer higher-level items or for multiple lower-level items (such as trading out their 2nd-level item for four CL 1 potions of lesser vigor). They also say that they should carry approximately 100gp / ECL as ready cash (which comes out to 200gp for an azer).

How would that affect CR though? The default azer has just a warhammer and a shortspear, so giving them appropriate items for their ECL should have a major impact on their CR, right? How much would that be and what's the methodology for how would it be calculated?

I feel like I'm missing something big that's detailed elsewhere in the Magic Item Compendium.