PDA

View Full Version : Savage Worlds Necessary Evil Adaptation Query

Hopeless
2013-11-08, 04:51 AM
Well I've picked up a pdf of the above and have a hard copy on order, but I have some ideas regarding running this and would like some advice and opinions even if its just about Necessary Evil itself.

Well the game premise is that the world was conquered a few years ago after an alien race duped humanity and its super powered protectors so it could annihilate its defences such that it could easily overwhelm what was left.

With all or most of the heroes dead it was left to the villains to turn the tide with a Doctor Doom-like villain commanding cells of recruited villains to accomplish missions until they could ultimately defeat their oppressors.

I've read some actual plays and am still trying to listen to a few actual play podcasts but I've got the feeling I would need to change a few bits to make it workable.

I'm currently looking at replacing the villain who heads the cells with a super villain team the idea that its isn't one person but a multi-national group of formerly retired mercenary villains who are organising the resistance allowing for megalomaniac villains but understand they can't stand alone against the real foe of the series.

The enemy is fronted by robots, I picture the invader being one of several alien species who are engaged in a war with a human-like race and misidentified humanity as another of their enemies colonies.

They realised their mistake but continued the invasion since they have their own warlike villains, who seek to gain power of their own and a race with superpowered beings as well as equipment would come in handy once they could be controlled properly.

However in my version not all of the heroes were killed in the ambush and part of the resulting four years has seen the survivors having to go into exile, retire if they can or stand and die as the invaders use their human lackeys to secure and eliminate any opposition in return for the power they either crave or seek to maintain even the villains are involved so I figure a superhero is pretty much like a Jedi stuck in the Dark Times.

I plan on revealing that one of the moons in the outer solar system is a disused generational spaceship whose inhabitants settled on Mars in ancient times before their survivors fled to Earth to escape Mars destruction eventually becoming humanity who have lost all memories of that part of their history nor that the other generational ships eventually colonised other worlds eventually losing the ability to procreate and became the very enemy the aliens have been fighting for centuries.

Jlerpy
2013-11-08, 05:15 AM
Some interesting changes. What role will the heroes in hiding have in the campaign? Will our errant ancestors be our salvation, or another enemy?
Are you planning to run with Savage Worlds, or converting to another system?

Hopeless
2013-11-08, 07:03 AM
Some interesting changes. What role will the heroes in hiding have in the campaign? Will our errant ancestors be our salvation, or another enemy?
Are you planning to run with Savage Worlds, or converting to another system?

I'm hoping to go with Savage Worlds, as for the supers most will have gone into hiding, those that remained active having been hunted down and either slain or disappeared assumed either a captive or worse (leaving that to the imagination of the players!:smallamused:).

Somewhat and yes to the ancestor bit, my reasoning is that they are that bad and eventually they will encounter each other and it will become obvious why the invader is using robots as their army.

I have ideas on how humanity arrived in the solar system and that their past isn't as gone so much as forgotten and remains to be rediscovered, but that involves the PCs adventuring offworld to discover the truth behind their species true legacy.

Received my hard copy today will be reading intently (when not watching Agents of SHIELD this evening!), my usual group has one player who hates superheroes and one time I ran Marvel (FASA version) he turned a vigilante into an assassin so I can see him going the Joker or Lex Luthor route the others not so sure!