PDA

View Full Version : Help with "Jack of all trades" Wizard!

Tacoz
2013-11-08, 07:58 AM
Soooo....
I was playing around with the idea about a wizard that always was useful at all levels and wanted, even though he is/was a *beep*, and full with himself.
Most of his attitude can be traced back to the foster mother, The Nymph, that raised him. What a mom! xD

But what I'm after are proposals and trimming of the edges, to make him more usefull and more a all arounder.
I also need a confirm or disconfirm of my understanding of Nymph's kiss and Master spellthief feats.

Nymph's Kiss(BE p44) (http://dndtools.eu/feats/book-of-exalted-deeds--52/nymphs-kiss--2073/)
Do I get a times 4 of the Skill spoint from Nymph's Kiss at first level, when I that that at first level?

Master spellthief(CS 79) (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-scoundrel--60/master-spellthief--1891/)
Do all arcane classes stack for determining the caster level?
Example: 1st-level Beguiler/1st-level Spellthief/4rd-level wizard, gives a caster level 6 for Beguiler and for Wizard, and Steal spell (3rd)(Caster level 6).
And do the 2nd-level of Ultimate Magus(Where it level both casters) give me a +2 caster level for all caster levels too?

This is was I have come up with:
Race:Human
Human feat -> Able learner
Flaw - Pathetic(CON) -> Nymph's kiss(BE p44).

Beguiler(PHII p6), level feat -> Sculpt Spell
Spellthief (CAd p13)
Focused Combat Conjurer, level-feat -> Master Spellthief(CS 79)
Focused Combat Conjurer
Focused Combat Conjurer
Ultimate Magus, Level-feat -> Arcane Disciple(CD79)(Heal Domain)
Ultimate Magus
Ultimate Magus

Beguiler gives:
- Skills (6+ int x4 +2), HP:d6
- Armored Mage
- Trapfinding
Spellthief gives:
- Skills (6+ int +2), HP:d6
- Sneak attack +1d6
- Steal spell
- Trapfinding (Again -_-')
Conjurer gives:
-Prohibited schools: Illision, Enchantment/Charm & Necromancy.
- Focused(CM p34), extra spell-slots for Conjuration spell.
- Aburupt Jaunt(PHII p68), teleport 10ft, as immediate action (int bonus)/day.
- Fighter feat (Cass option (UA p59)) -> Improved Initiative
Ultimate Magus gives:
- Skills(2+int+2), HP:d4
- Arcan spell power +1
- Expended spell knowledge(Cure Light Wounds), (At 2nd level UM)
- Augmented casting
- +3 level Conjurer spell casting
- +2 level Beguiler spell casting

I don't get a useful BAB (+2) and a +2 to fortitude and Reflex save, and a low HP.
(I know that Pathetic(CON) don't help much for the HP, but it was the only thing that fitted to the start story, by been raised by a nymph.)

But what ways should I look, to make him better in close combat, without have to cast a spell(True strike) for every strike, and will Armor Proficiency (medium) and a Mithral Breastplate be the best way to survivability? Or are there a better way?
Ooooh, and any feat that give more skill points per level are more the welcome! :biggrin:
(Urban Savant (Ci p100) have crossed my mind, but we don't really use must time in the same city, when we play! =S)

EDIT:
Reason for Editing: Fixed what was pointed to be wrong, and add future build changes.
Replace Sculpt Spell with Any metamagic feat.
Master Spellthief exchange place with Arcane Disciple.
Like this:
Race:Human
Human feat -> Able learner
Flaw - Pathetic(CON) -> Nymph's kiss(BE p44).

Beguiler(PHII p6), level feat -> Any metamagic feat
Spellthief (CAd p13)
Focused Combat Conjurer, level-feat -> Arcane Disciple(CD79)(Heal Domain)
Focused Combat Conjurer
Focused Combat Conjurer
Ultimate Magus, Level-feat -> Master Spellthief(CS 79)
Ultimate Magus
Ultimate Magus

Beguiler gives:
- Skills (6+ int x4 +2), HP:d6
- Armored Mage
- Trapfinding
Spellthief gives:
- Skills (6+ int +2), HP:d6
- Sneak attack +1d6
- Steal spell (4th-level) (Thanks to Master spelltheif)
- Trapfinding (Again -_-')
Conjurer gives:
-Prohibited schools: Illision, Enchantment/Charm & Necromancy.
- Focused(CM p34), extra spell-slots for Conjuration spell.
- Aburupt Jaunt(PHII p68), teleport 10ft, as immediate action (int bonus)/day.
- Fighter feat (Cass option (UA p59)) -> Improved Initiative
Ultimate Magus gives:
- Skills(2+int+2), HP:d4
- Arcan spell power +1
- Expended spell knowledge(Cure Light Wounds), (At 2nd level UM)
- Augmented casting
- +2 level Conjurer spell casting
- +3 level Beguiler spell casting
Now also Looking for a first take metamagic feat that are useful from the start! =)

OldTrees1
2013-11-08, 08:03 AM
Nymph's Kiss is not multiplied at first level. Sorry, but as a consolation prize it does give some situational bonuses.

Personally I favor Arcane Disciple (Renewal Domain) + Touch of Healing [Reserve Feat in Complete Champion]. You get healing and restoration (although Arcane Disciple is still limited to once per day per spell).

Tacoz
2013-11-08, 08:42 AM
@Nymph's Kiss ='(
Oooh well, the rest of the feat just have to work that much more then! =P

As I understand it Touch of Healing (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-champion--57/touch-of-healing--2940/), only let you heal half of the total HP. But I did want Restoration, but didn't want to use a feat for just that one, so I think I will put that one on a stick.

And the 1/day thingy for the Domain spell, are the reason I was adding them to the Beguiler spell list, with the Expended spell knowledge (one by one, when the time comes). But you did just remind me that the cure-spells are from the Conjuration school, so I can prepare them in the Conjuration-only spell-slots! =D
I had total missed that! xD

Story
2013-11-08, 09:41 AM
There are a few Wiz/Sorc healing spells, but I wouldn't bother. Just get some healing belts or wands of lesser restoration.

You can only cast disciple spells once a day without pearls anyway.

Edit: Swordsage'd

Trilby
2013-11-08, 09:57 AM
To my knowledge, Sculpt Spell has a prereq (https://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdndtools.eu%2Ffeats%2Fcomplete-arcane--55%2Fsculpt-spell--2536%2F&ei=oPt8UoauGaOR0AWwnIH4Ag&usg=AFQjCNHGOpDjsIF7wi2tkzF09FZIrUhP3Q&bvm=bv.56146854,d.d2k) of any other metamagic feat. I was sad when I couldn't take it for my build either, it looks super useful.
Maybe you could get it houseruled?

Blackjackg
2013-11-08, 10:14 AM
Regarding your questions about the Master Spellthief feat:

By RAW, it's ambiguously worded, but by RAI I think that each spellcaster class (besides spellthief) would only count itself and spellthief to calculate caster level, while your caster level for spellthief spells would include all arcane classes. So in your example (Beguiler 1/Spellthief 1/Wizard 4), the character's caster level would be 2 for beguiler spells, and 5 for wizard spells. The character wouldn't have any spellthief spells to cast, but if he did he would cast them at caster level 6. In addition, he would be able to steal third-level spells as if he were a 6th-level spellthief.

Adding Ultimate Magus to the mix doesn't change things much. Prestige classes that advance spellcasting don't count as spellcaster classes for the purposes of feats (I don't have a reference for this; I asked it on the forums about a similar build years ago and that was the answer I got). So what you would get from the Ultimate Magus class is just what's on the tin: two levels of casting increase to divide among spellthief and beguiler, and one level for your wizard. So assuming you assign your improved spellcasting to the beguiler instead of spellthief, what you would get for your 8-level build is:

Casting as a 3rd-level beguiler (caster level 4)
Casting as a 1st-level spellthief (i.e. no casting at all; caster level 6)
Casting as a 5th-level wizard (caster level 6)
Steal spell as a 6th-level spellthief

It should be noted that unless there's some trick I'm missing with Sculpt Spell, Nymph's Kiss and/or the focused combat conjurer, you won't be able to qualify for Master Spellthief at level 3, since that feat requires the ability to cast 2nd level spells.

Tacoz
2013-11-08, 10:19 AM
You can only cast disciple spells once a day without pearls anyway.
Edit: Swordsage'd
Well, that aren't the case when I add them to Beguilers spell list with the Expended spell knowledge is it? =S

To my knowledge, Sculpt Spell has a prereq (https://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdndtools.eu%2Ffeats%2Fcomplete-arcane--55%2Fsculpt-spell--2536%2F&ei=oPt8UoauGaOR0AWwnIH4Ag&usg=AFQjCNHGOpDjsIF7wi2tkzF09FZIrUhP3Q&bvm=bv.56146854,d.d2k) of any other metamagic feat. I was sad when I couldn't take it for my build either, it looks super useful.
Maybe you could get it houseruled?
I....
Yes, yes you are right. Dawn it, I missed that too. Well, Maybe I should add "Looking for a first take metamagic feat that are useful!" xD
If I wanted a metamagic house-ruled it should be Energy Substitution(Electricity), for the protection of my moms loved forest! ;)

Tacoz
2013-11-08, 10:56 AM
Regarding your questions about the Master Spellthief feat:

By RAW, it's ambiguously worded, but by RAI I think that each spellcaster class (besides spellthief) would only count itself and spellthief to calculate caster level, while your caster level for spellthief spells would include all arcane classes. So in your example (Beguiler 1/Spellthief 1/Wizard 4), the character's caster level would be 2 for beguiler spells, and 5 for wizard spells. The character wouldn't have any spellthief spells to cast, but if he did he would cast them at caster level 6. In addition, he would be able to steal third-level spells as if he were a 6th-level spellthief.
Well, then it's power level are more acceptable. =)
Did taken it for armored caster and steal spell. Was just hoping that it also could replace the Practiced Spellcaster (CA p82) (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-arcane--55/practiced-spellcaster--2231/)(Beguiler)-trick to be able to reach 9th-level spells something in the future.
Better get that one into the build then...

It should be noted that unless there's some trick I'm missing with Sculpt Spell, Nymph's Kiss and/or the focused combat conjurer, you won't be able to qualify for Master Spellthief at level 3, since that feat requires the ability to cast 2nd level spells.
Ups. You are right.
I had on one of my papers taken it at 6th-level, and the other one (Where I had taken it at 3rd-level) I had a extra flaw, with Precocious Apprentice(CA p181) (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-arcane--55/precocious-apprentice--2236/) as a bonus feat(For reasons unknown), I did mix those op good! xD