PDA

View Full Version : favorite npc/villain based on a well known one?

blelliot
2013-11-08, 08:33 AM
I'm making npcs and villains for a game that will be starting on Thursday, and I noticed that I was looking through my backlogs and I found an old npc, Zachary Aaronston Zagoroth III aka Captian Zig. He was my first attempt at a pirate, and he became the poor man's Jack Sparrow. So I was wondering, have any of you made a npc/villain based on a well known charachter from movies/tv/books/etc? Would love to hear the stories.

Morithias
2013-11-08, 08:37 AM
Let's see...

In "Rise of the Demon King" Patricia was a mix of Patricia from Princess Maker 4, and Miki the demon king from Rance. And the Apostles Kentaro, Gigai, Xaiver, and Shikibu were from Sengoku Rance.

In "Helman Revolution", I literally stated the X-com aliens and used them as the enemies. With the Hulks of Zoretha taking the place of the Ethereals.

In "Grimoire of the Rift 1" the invading demons from the gate were based on the Demon army from Sengoku Rance.

Raezeman
2013-11-08, 09:24 AM
not really villains, but i'm using the monsters from the 'monster hunter' games as creatures to fight, giving them stats and abilities appropriate for the challenge rating i want them to be. Both the great jaggi and the diablos are ready for battle against my players, but personally i'm looking forward to when they will have to face the Lagiacrus.

geeky_monkey
2013-11-08, 09:30 AM
My last DM had a crime boss based on Badger from firefly. Except he was a giant crow (a kenku? can't remember the species name off the top of my head).

His minions were the ninja crow from Samurai Pizza Cats.

He was supposed to be a minor one-off NPC, but he proved so popular (mainly due to the hilariously terrible impression of Badger the DM did while palying him) that the campaign quickly changed to working for him, rather than stopping the mysterious undead bandits who were pillaging the kindom...

Spore
2013-11-08, 11:01 AM
We haven't seen a great one yet but the Dwarven city in my campaign seems to be founded by Gimli clones. But in the adventure I plan to make the heroes will find remains of deceased adventurers. There will be nods to the A-Team (remaining insane Murdoc goblin), Krillin (dead monk that apparently fell over and broke his neck) or Conan. I hope I get it right to not outright tell the players the reference but for them to "get it".

ArcturusV
2013-11-08, 11:20 AM
Ran one campaign where I shamelessly ripped off the Slivers from Magic: The Gathering. Not the most well known thing, but considering the players I was dealing with they should have noticed it. They didn't.

Things of note: 3/4 players were morons and wanted to try to "weaponize" the Slivers somehow despite the fact that they were uncontrollable hive creatures who rapidly mutated and adapted to a point where the sheer idea of controlling them was stupid.

There was an equivalent of the Riptide Project, who developed Slivers to try to create a life form to adapt and survive to this apocalypse that was coming as the Age of Prophecy was ending in the world. It went terrible for them, as their creations overran the Project. The Project's stronghold was meant to have a lot of clues about how to take down the central figures of the Sliver Hordes, but the players avoided the place like the plague so they never got the clues.

In the end they "Solved" it by effectively giving up, not knowing how to take down the Slivers, they did a quest for a Wish MacGuffin, and wished for some force to come and fight the slivers, thinking I was going to pop an army of solars into their command or something. Instead I got the evil DM "I shall corrupt your wish" jones going and the wish caused a new Sliver Lord to arise, take half the slivers into his hive, and the horde just biting at each other in civil war.

... in the end they never did solve the issue with them. They just kinda walked away content to let the Slivers just destroy this continent as they figured there was no way they could escape from that continent, and would be too busy tearing each other apart to figure out a way to get off the landmass.

RFLS
2013-11-08, 11:42 AM
Well, one of my favorite characters to play with was a little goblin. Blartin was his name. Blartin was the son of a king, a prince, in fact. He hated the word, and always insisted on "Junior King." I dunno, he was weird.

Anyway, Blartin (of the bloodline Muther) had a dream - he wanted to share the greatness his people were capable of with the rest of the world. He traveled with us, for a time, speaking to people wherever he could. He told them of his people, of their wants, needs, and desires. He showed the people of Faerun that goblins were not evil monsters - you could trust them, call them friend. He spent a large portion of his life doing exactly this, and, at the end of it - well, the prejudice against his people was almost entirely lifted.

This is the story of Blartin Muther, Junior King. He had a dream.

Note: He's not based on a fictional character, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to share.

AlanBruce
2013-11-08, 02:16 PM
I used Resident Evil 0,1, and Code: Veronica as dungeons for my party, including a steampunk section aboard a haunted train designed by gnomes.

The main villain was inspired off Alexia Ashford, making her a very powerful transmuter and, later on, a hideous homebrewed aberration.

The players took awhile to catch up with the references, but they sure enjoyed fighting the many monsters true to the series, as well as dealing with her, whom I played with the whole "I'm a superior being, you are all ants" demeanor.

Spore
2013-11-08, 02:17 PM
Well, one of my favorite characters to play with was a little goblin. Blartin was his name. Blartin was the son of a king, a prince, in fact. He hated the word, and always insisted on "Junior King." I dunno, he was weird.

Anyway, Blartin (of the bloodline Muther) had a dream - he wanted to share the greatness his people were capable of with the rest of the world. He traveled with us, for a time, speaking to people wherever he could. He told them of his people, of their wants, needs, and desires. He showed the people of Faerun that goblins were not evil monsters - you could trust them, call them friend. He spent a large portion of his life doing exactly this, and, at the end of it - well, the prejudice against his people was almost entirely lifted.

This is the story of Blartin Muther, Junior King. He had a dream.

Note: He's not based on a fictional character, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to share.

That's hilariously racist.

RFLS
2013-11-08, 02:25 PM
That's hilariously racist.

Well, the way it was played, it wasn't actually racist - he acknowledged at the start that it could be taken that way, and went out of his way, numerous times, to actually emulate the person in question. Looking at his performance as a whole, it was more a tribute to MLK as a person and a recognition of how America treated minorities in general at that time. He didn't mock MLK or black Americans with his rendition of Blartin Muther - he portrayed his character and his people in a genuine manner, and followed MLK's path as best he could.

I don't feel that I explained that very well, and we're treading very near forum rules as it is, so here's a TL;DR: It wasn't a racist portrayal. He did his best to honor the subject matter.

Elvenoutrider
2013-11-08, 04:10 PM
I used a gestalt fighter/monk who radiated an anti magic field. Villain was based on bane and could hold his own the party by himself. Took them four adventures to eat him only to find out he and his army were unwitting pawns in an illithid wod harvesting scheme