PDA

View Full Version : Inflict spells (PF ONLY)

Exirtadorri
2013-11-08, 10:32 AM
I have an evil cleric in the works. I want to use a lot of inflict spells...can I use weapon focus for melee touch attacks?

I am playing a tiefling (using the variant tiefling) with the following stats:

str 16
dex 13
con 15
int 16
wis 18
cha 10

domains torture and loss

I took combat expertise and imp trip cause my gods favored weapon is the spiked chain. Keep in mind i'm only level one. So any ideas on what I should do instead to help pump this guy into the ridiculous category of melee touch spells.

Also please recommend some good touch spells.
No 3.5 dnd stuff and i'm not going to run around with anything at an 8 to minimax

stack
2013-11-08, 10:36 AM
Might be able to reverse engineer the wizard's hook. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/specific-magic-weapons/wizard-hook)

Hook costs 10 GP, +1 costs 2,000 GP, MW costs 300 GP, so conducting spells costs 2,000 GP. Which is REALLY cheap for turning you into a discount magus, so I doubt ti would fly with most dms.

Ninjaxenomorph
2013-11-08, 10:41 AM
I would put some points in Charisma, you like some channeling. Also, you can take Weapon Focus (melee touch attack), I've seen in in Pathfinder Society on a villain.

grarrrg
2013-11-08, 10:42 AM
i'm not going to run around with anything at an 8 to minimax

Yes, because every person ever has nothing that they are bad at.
Heavens forbid a massive "-1" penalty on a stat...

Now if you dropped something to a 7, then added a racial penalty of -2, that _might_ be considered overdoing it (especially if you found a -4 penalty race).
But an 8? After racials?

Spore
2013-11-08, 10:50 AM
I would put some points in Charisma, you like some channeling. Also, you can take Weapon Focus (melee touch attack), I've seen in in Pathfinder Society on a villain.

Please don't. Weapon Finesse is more flexible and nets you an wide array of light weapons to choose from.

I took combat expertise and imp trip cause my gods favored weapon is the spiked chain. Keep in mind i'm only level one. So any ideas on what I should do instead to help pump this guy into the ridiculous category of melee touch spells.

Combat Casting, since you cast spells defensively (hopefully) in the reach of the enemy. Weapon Focus (Touch) is a great idea for the low levels, but it quickly looses ground because you can relyably hit touches around level 3-5 anyway.

Anything that boosts your DC, defenses or concentration checks is welcome. Also you have one feat on leve one because you are a tiefling and no human.

Switch to Dex as offensive stat (it gives you AC, reflex saves and ranged attacks as well as finessable melee touches)
(1) Weapon Finesse (you have almost no spells per day anyway, so wack away with a light mace)
(3) Combat Casting (you need the +4 on concentration checks when doing touch attacks)
(5) Spell Focus (Necromancy) (open for debate, but curse and inflict spells are necromancy)
(7) Greater Spell Focus (Necromancy) (more DC)
(9) Spell Penetration (the enemies starts to have Spell Resistance)

My suggested stats are like this. Asura Spawn (+2 Dex/+2 Wis/-2 Int) or Devil Spawn (+2 Con/+2Wis/-2 Cha). Take Devil Spawn because 1 AC/+1 on attack rolls more or less isn't going to kill you. Having no HP however is.

Wis > Dex = Con > Int > Str > Cha would be the array.

Exirtadorri
2013-11-08, 10:55 AM
The spell focus feats do not really matter because if you have an attack roll there is no save to halve the damage. I never thought about the weap finesse cause unarmed are light for that. that's a nice idea.

My GM if he see's a single stat in the neg he punishes it. It's his way of keeping people from getting to high of stats if you dont want to have that 7 Cha and be forced into talking your way out of stuff.

Ninjaxenomorph
2013-11-08, 11:03 AM
The higher-level bad touch spells do require a save, so do the inflict spells. I would agree that Weapon Finesse is better at start-off, though Spell focus AND Weapon focus are good for later on. Since you can't really deliver normal damage unless you are punching a touch spell. But in Pathfinder Charisma is sort of important for clerics, so might want it at least at a 13 for access to Selective Channeling, extra channels, and a better DC.

Exirtadorri
2013-11-08, 11:27 AM
Ok
So what you guys are saying is that I should drop my INT down and bring up my cha for my channeling and if I did I could take advantage of my domain power for torture.

Drop combat expertise and imp trip and take weap finesse and what else though? I can't take weap focus till I have a bab of +1. I dont want selective channel, i'm a cruel bastard and want to cause pain to people.

Ninjaxenomorph
2013-11-08, 11:41 AM
How much cruelty are you willing to cause your teammates, however? Scratch that, how much pain until they shank you? Unless they are all dead. And controlled by you.

But yes, tripping on a feat-starved cleric is not recommended. You don't need that much INT, either.

Spore
2013-11-08, 01:34 PM
Ok
So what you guys are saying is that I should drop my INT down and bring up my cha for my channeling and if I did I could take advantage of my domain power for torture.

Drop combat expertise and imp trip and take weap finesse and what else though? I can't take weap focus till I have a bab of +1. I dont want selective channel, i'm a cruel bastard and want to cause pain to people.

You do realize you don't have 2 feats on the 1st level?