PDA

View Full Version : AD&D (1E or 2E) Spells to remove stunning?

Lord Torath
2013-11-08, 11:54 AM
Are there any spells that can end a stun effect early?

Would a Cure Something Wounds help? Being stunned is sort of like taking non-lethal damage directly to your brain. Sort of. So healing the damage could help.

How about a Heal? Although that seems overpowered for removing a temporary effect.

Drumbum42
2013-11-08, 04:57 PM
Are you talking about having a spell cast on you BEFORE the stun, or something that someone can cast on you AFTER the stun? Or either?

Because there's always a wish spell to be immune, but that may be a waste of a wish.

(I'll have to crack open Unearthed Arcana and my Grey Hawk books, it's been way too long since I've read them anyway.)

Edit: Also are there any class limitations?

Lord Torath
2013-11-08, 05:43 PM
I'm thinking specifically of removing the stun effect after your teammate's been hit. (you know, like tha old "Cleric's Feather Fall" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0806.html)). You'd like their assistance, but unless you come up with something, they'll be stuck reeling uselessly for the next 3d4 rounds.

Yes, I'm the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff, rather than the fence at the top. Although if anyone has suggestions for the fence (spells that will prevent a stun), those'd be great too!

Thrudd
2013-11-09, 01:54 AM
I'm thinking specifically of removing the stun effect after your teammate's been hit. (you know, like tha old "Cleric's Feather Fall" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0806.html)). You'd like their assistance, but unless you come up with something, they'll be stuck reeling uselessly for the next 3d4 rounds.

Yes, I'm the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff, rather than the fence at the top. Although if anyone has suggestions for the fence (spells that will prevent a stun), those'd be great too!

What rule or spell are you using which creates the stun effect? Is it a psionics thing (those I never used much)? Or are we talking monster's paralysis as from ghouls? IIRC, AD&D had no official rule for status effects like "stunned". Various spells and powers might cause a character to not be able to take actions for different reasons, but there was no single thing called "stunned" that was universally defined. If you're houseruling the stun effect, just houserule a spell or ability to remove the effect, too. AD&D is great that way: just make some stuff up, it probably won't break the game. If it does, then stop doing it. Let somebody use their turn to try to shake the stunned person out of it, and give them another saving throw, maybe. It seems reasonable for a heal or cure spell to remove minor magical stun effects, too. If it's a psionics thing, create another psionic power to let you free someone from a psionically induced stun effect.

D+1
2013-11-10, 11:21 AM
Would a Cure Something Wounds help?Not as written. They ONLY cure points, not other effects.

How about a Heal? Although that seems overpowered for removing a temporary effect.Heal should work as it cures all disease and "injury". It specifies that it cures blindness as well which probably ought to imply that it's broad enough and high level enough to remove physical problems like stuns.

If the DM is being picky though he could object that because it doesn't specify curing other miscellaneous effects that it doesnt. At that point I think you're down to Limited Wish/Wish - or the most practical choice which is simply researching a spell that WILL do what you want. That is an option that everyone tends to just blind themselves to. Clerics even moreso than M/U's. Just because someone didn't already think of what you need and get a spell printed officially in some supplement doesn't stop a player for a moment from filling in the gaps in his spell selections himself.

First thing I'd be looking to do as a cleric in a 1E/2E campaign is researching my own "Cure x" spells for 2nd and 3rd level rather than struggle with just Cure Light Wounds until I could cast 4th level spells and do Cure Serious.

Lvl45DM!
2013-11-11, 10:06 PM
Am I being dense or is there a reason you aren't using Dispel Magic?

First thing I'd be looking to do as a cleric in a 1E/2E campaign is researching my own "Cure x" spells for 2nd and 3rd level rather than struggle with just Cure Light Wounds until I could cast 4th level spells and do Cure Serious.

We always just made CSW 3rd level and Animate Dead 4th. And we STILL never have enough healing

Lord Torath
2013-11-11, 11:47 PM
Well, say you're in a boxing match, and you get punched hard in the head, and suddenly, you're reeling around, stunned. Dispel magic isn't going to do much for you. Or a mind flayer unleashes his mental blast. It could even be Power Word Stun. The point is that the cause might be magical, but the effect is mundane. Dispel magic won't help you any more than it would if you'd taken damage from Magic Missile.

I think I'm leaning in favor of allowing it to be fixed by any Cure Something Wounds spell. (I'm the DM. I can cheat like that :belkar:)

Thrudd
2013-11-12, 09:17 AM
Well, say you're in a boxing match, and you get punched hard in the head, and suddenly, you're reeling around, stunned. Dispel magic isn't going to do much for you. Or a mind flayer unleashes his mental blast. It could even be Power Word Stun. The point is that the cause might be magical, but the effect is mundane. Dispel magic won't help you any more than it would if you'd taken damage from Magic Missile.

I think I'm leaning in favor of allowing it to be fixed by any Cure Something Wounds spell. (I'm the DM. I can cheat like that :belkar:)

I found my 1e DMG, just to refresh me what effects cause stunning. On a result of 00 on the percentile, non-lethal combat will cause a 1 round stun. Monks can stun for 1-6 rounds with their unarmed attacks if they hit at least 5 over the required to hit number. Power Word: Stun stuns for either 1d4, 2d4 or 4d4 rounds depending on the HP of the target. A Psionic blast against non-psionic person can potentially stun for 2d4 rounds.
I'd use Heal for removing the effect of Power Word: Stun. Power Word is a 7th level spell, so I would think it should be a higher level spell that can negate the effect. Otherwise it would be a pretty crappy spell, if it's effect be countered by any 1st level cleric or druid. You might differentiate from the 1 round mundane stun that comes from non-lethal combat. Physically caused stun from monks or normal unarmed combat maybe can be removed by the cure spells. It probably is not unbalancing to allow psionic stuns to be removed by cure spells as well.

Storm_Of_Snow
2013-11-12, 09:26 AM
Bigsby's Clenched Fist can stun as well on certain results.

Nothing springs to mind, so you best bet is probably to home brew something.