PDA

View Full Version : Breath weapon magic items

lytokk
2013-11-08, 12:07 PM
What spells (arcane, divine, or psionic) can be crafted into a wondrous item that would allow a character to mimic a dragons breath weapon attack? Would be looking at something, maybe 3 times per day or some such. I really can't get over the urge to have a firebreathing dinosaur that can look humanoid and since I can't find a feat to use breath weapons in an alternate form I figured I'd try magic items.

I figured burning hands looks right, but it doesn't ahve the distance or the power I was hoping to get, and my off the cuff knowledge of high level spells is limited. I also assume some sort of wild clasp would be necessary for the item to function while wild shaped.

Current line of thought is a druid who wildshapes into dinosaurs, but I can't find a way to preserve the breath weapon of the dragonborn template, other than rule 0.

I know I've been bugging the crap out of the playgrounders with this concept recently, so thank you.

Big Fau
2013-11-08, 12:08 PM
You can make anything spit acid at will via a feat (Shape Soulmeld: Dissolving Spittle).

lytokk
2013-11-08, 12:17 PM
ok, this may seem a little ridiculous, but whats a soulmeld? I've heard these mentioned before, but I know absolutely nothing about them.

Rebel7284
2013-11-08, 12:23 PM
magic-like subsystem in magic of incarnum. You get some abilities in which you can invest soul power "essentia" in for a scaling effect. You also usually have the option of binding these soulmelds to a magic item slot for another effect.

Big Fau
2013-11-08, 12:23 PM
ok, this may seem a little ridiculous, but whats a soulmeld? I've heard these mentioned before, but I know absolutely nothing about them.

They are a class feature from Magic of Incarnum. I'm not surprised honestly, the book wasn't very popular (it does have a pretty cult following on the forums, but wasn't very successful). The feat would give you the ability to shape the Dissolving Spittle soulmeld, which lets you use a Standard action to spit a glob of acid that deals a base (heh, chemistry puns) 1d6 damage and can be improved to about 5d6.

You may be better served by the Acid Splatter reserve feat from Complete Mage though.

lytokk
2013-11-08, 12:33 PM
What's the difference between a reserve feat and a normal feat? Also, there's a firey equivalent, so that's a bonus, just need to find druidic fire spells... who knows why there aren't more of them.

Sarison
2013-11-08, 12:33 PM
Burning Hands plus enlarge spell for the range, empower spell for the damage.

kardar233
2013-11-08, 12:43 PM
There's a spell in Spell Compendium called Dragon Breath, which you could make into a custom item.

A reserve feat is a special kind of feat for spellcasters. Basically, as long as you have a spell of the same subtype as your reserve feat available (one instance prepared for your druid) then you get a moderately powerful at-will ability with effectiveness based on the spell level of the highest-level spell of that subtype available.

For example: you take the feat Acidic Splatter (Complete Mage, p. 37). Now, as long as you have a spell with the [Acid] descriptor prepared, you can make an at-will ranged touch attack as a standard action, that deals 1d6 damage per level of the highest-level [Acid] spell you have prepared.

You may want to look into Fiery Burst, from the same book.

The imarvintpa spell index (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/FindSpell.php) only registers two Druid Acid spells, both 3rd-level: Greenfire (from Unapproachable East, an AoE acid damage spell) and Venomfire (from Serpent Kingdoms, adds acid damage to poison attacks).

Druidic Fire spells are far more common; there are several in Core, such as Flame Blade and Fire Seeds.

Big Fau
2013-11-08, 12:43 PM
What's the difference between a reserve feat and a normal feat? Also, there's a firey equivalent, so that's a bonus, just need to find druidic fire spells... who knows why there aren't more of them.

Reserve feats grant at-will Supernatural Abilities, while most feats don't. The feats have effects tied to spells, such as the Fiery Burst feat (which creates mini-fireballs out of your prepared/known fire spells).

As they don't have components, and aren't abilities specifically tied to your race, you can use them with impunity while Wild Shaped.

Segev
2013-11-08, 12:53 PM
You might also look in Dragon Magic (a 3.5 splatbook) for the Dragonfire Adept. They get a breath weapon as their primary class feature, and otherwise are the only base class to share the Warlock's invocation mechanics.

lytokk
2013-11-08, 12:58 PM
ok, dragon breath, 3rd level spell, cl5. Use activated item, with that a base price of 30k, charges per day is 2, so 5/2 is 2.5 take 30k and divide that by 2.5 is 12,000. I think I'm looking at the creation rules on the SRD correctly. of course, thats fire breathing for 50 minutes with each use, based on the duration of the spell, or 6 uses of the fire breathing. Not bad.

now how to adjust that for higher damage. empowering the spell to raise the caster level?

5th level spell, cl 11, 110k base price, charges, 2, 44,000. for 6d6, and 10 uses...

I think my math's off...

Jgosse
2013-11-08, 01:41 PM
I have never used it but I have often played with an idea for a breath weapon Item. Upon a dragons death it's body dissolves and all that is left is a dragon crystal. Said Crystal would allow the holder to use that dragons breath weapon. I believe that last idea I had was it would have charges equal to the dragons hit die.

lytokk
2013-11-08, 02:29 PM
as far as it looks, in order to pull off the plan I have, Fiery Burst really seems to have it. Druids get a fire spell at every level except level 8 it seems. It could either be a firebomb dropped from a strafing pterodon, or breathed out of the mouth of a t-rex. Is there any feat out there in order to shape this? so instead of a 5 foot radius, I could get a 20 foot line?

I knew you guys could help me figure this out. all 100% by RAW too.

Segev
2013-11-08, 03:04 PM
As a thought, if you're not planning on using your Animal Companion, you could ask your DM if you could trade the Druid's Animal Companion for the Dragonfire Adept's Breath Weapon and Breath Effect progression.

lytokk
2013-11-08, 03:19 PM
Is there a basis in any of the rulebooks for this? Something where the druid trades off his animal companion for a different class specific ability? So far, am at 100% raw, with Warforged Druid, ironwood body, fiery burst and natural spell. I never really decided on an animal companion, so it wouldn't be any loss to me.