PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic Rod/Weapon?

CyberThread
2013-11-08, 12:57 PM
If I wanted to slap a metamagic rod, and shape it into a club or mace, could I use it to channel a duskblades attack, and have it empower or maximize it, or does it count as using a magic item still, so you can't combine the two affects?

RFLS
2013-11-08, 01:18 PM
If I wanted to slap a metamagic rod, and shape it into a club or mace, could I use it to channel a duskblades attack, and have it empower or maximize it, or does it count as using a magic item still, so you can't combine the two effects?

I'd like someone to doublecheck me on this, but, assuming you get your hands on a metamagic rod that is also a weapon, yes, this would work - casting the spell is part of the attack action (or full attack action), and metamagic rods are use activated. They don't take an action beyond the casting to activate.

Again, I'd like someone to doublecheck me on that.

hymer
2013-11-08, 01:58 PM
In my DMG it says that rods can be used as light maces if their description says so. The metamagic rods' descriptions do not. So it would be an improvised weapon, which I see no reason you couldn't use to Duskblade-channel with.

AstralFire
2013-11-08, 02:00 PM
In my DMG it says that rods can be used as light maces if their description says so. The metamagic rods do not. So it would be an improvised weapon, which I see no reason you couldn't use to Duskblade-channel with.

I presume one can pay the price to make the MM Rod a "slotless" item, and thus incorporate it into a weapon.

Big Fau
2013-11-08, 02:00 PM
In my DMG it says that rods can be used as light maces if their description says so. The metamagic rods do not. So it would be an improvised weapon, which I see no reason you couldn't use to Duskblade-channel with.

Aside from, you know, the 50% chance to destroy the rod.

hymer
2013-11-08, 02:18 PM
@ Big Fau: I think that was settled as a d20 modern thing. :smallsmile:

Big Fau
2013-11-08, 02:30 PM
@ Big Fau: I think that was settled as a d20 modern thing. :smallsmile:

Oh, right. There is still that pesky -4 penalty and bad stats though.

RFLS
2013-11-08, 02:31 PM
Oh, right. There is still that pesky -4 penalty and bad stats though.

Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Metamagic Rod? =P

CyberThread
2013-11-08, 02:32 PM
so you would have to make it slotless and then combine it with another magical weapon? OR would it have to be a custom wonderous item?

Big Fau
2013-11-08, 02:36 PM
Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Metamagic Rod? =P

EWP doesn't apply to Improvised weapons AFAIK.

@CyberDrag: The best bet is to use a custom Legacy Item that acts like a metamagic rod (there's options for this in the various menus in WoL). You don't even have to hold the item, you just need to awaken its power.

Alternatively, take levels in Recaster or Escalation Mage. Or both if you can manage it.

Captnq
2013-11-08, 02:51 PM
Metamagic rods already are slotless. You hold them. Techically holding a tool isn't a body slot. Maybe you just need more arms?

I would made a rod that occupied a body slot. Say, a glove, or a bracer. Or make a bracer called, "bracers of metamagic rods" That let you hold metamagic rods while holding a weapon.

Make it into a crown. Crown of maximize.

Or, if you really want to do this, ask your DM is you can make the rod a +1 weapon. If he says yes (MIC rules on combining magic items should cover this.) You can now ruin his day.

OPPOSABLE
- MASTERS OF THE WILD (3.0)
Price: +1 bonus
Property: Any
Caster Level: 6th
Aura: Faint; (DC 17) transmutation
Activation: —
This enchantment creates one or more thumb-like projections on the weapon. These artificial “thumbs” fold around the appropriate limb of the wielder to allow proper use.

So, now you can have elbow blades, knee blades, boot blades, and a horned helmet. No reason you can't have a maximize rod on your left knee, an empower rod on your right, a extend rod on your left elbow, a quicken rod on your right, and a sculpt rod on top of your head,

Each one is a weapon. Each one "wielded". Each one ready to be used in unison, because activating a metamagic rod is a free action.

There. Now you can use your favorate weapon and play around with metamagic rods at the same time. You have rods with "fingers" clinging to your body in odd locations, swaying about and looking as phallic as ALL get out, but you will have POWER. Who cares about what you look like, RIGHT?

Big Fau
2013-11-08, 02:55 PM
A 2-level dip into Totemist gets you Girallon Arms and the Totem Chakra, which may enable your goal. Also the Third Arm, from the MiC (though I think that requires Infusions).