Race: Kobold Desert
Stats:
Str: 6
Dex: 18
Con: 17
Int: 13
Wis: 10
Cha: 16

Right now I've been playing him as fighting in the same square as our fighter and using my breath attacks so I don't hit the party. Since they are small and can be counted as one size category smaller when it benefits My dm said this is allowed.

This is our last chance to change anything we want so I figured I'd like some help. I had his skills in Diplomacy, Bluff, spot, Umd, and one more. I can rearrange everything about him though.

One rule I'm not going to put him at the oldest age for the bonus to stats My dm and me both said not as much fun. Any book for D&D is open. nothing is out right ruled if their is another reasoner to make him older than the stat boost I'll listen.

Also need help with Feats. Originally I picked the EE breath was kind of hmm, so I'm open to changing it. I'm sure it will help more later on but for what we fought so far not much.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-08, 02:17 PM
What do you want to be doing?

Big Fau
2013-11-08, 02:20 PM
Entangling Exhalation is one of the best feats for a DFA, so changing it is a bad idea (read the wording on the Entangled condition closely).

I recommend picking up some Metabreath feats if you can.

Deophaun
2013-11-08, 02:26 PM
Right now I've been playing him as fighting in the same square as our fighter and using my breath attacks so I don't hit the party.
And this is why your first least invocation is endure exposure.

GutterFace
2013-11-08, 02:27 PM
Use the 1st level invocation on your whole party so they are not effected by your Breath Weapon.

Endure Exposure

and since you can grab a second one, look into: Breath of Night for funsies

Sickening Breath is fun. if you are looking to debuff. but as far as damage goes you wont be able to product a lot until later on and IF you can take MetaBreath feats

kpumphre
2013-11-08, 02:32 PM
OK, then what would you suggest for my other feat? Right now all we fought swarms so it hasn't come up. I just wanted to say I was open to switching it if you could suggest something better.

I want to be support with out getting my self killed. Currently I have only a shield and no armor. so 20 ac. I want him to be dignified, but a bit adventures. At level 6 I'll be taking change shape invocation

Big Fau
2013-11-08, 02:37 PM
OK, then what would you suggest for my other feat? Right now all we fought swarms so it hasn't come up. I just wanted to say I was open to switching it if you could suggest something better.

I want to be support with out getting my self killed. Currently I have only a shield and no armor. so 20 ac. I want him to be dignified, but a bit adventures. At level 6 I'll be taking change shape invocation

Shape Soulmeld: Rage Claws. Gives you superior Diehard, making sure you can get away if threatened.

Phelix-Mu
2013-11-08, 02:42 PM
Consider asking the DM if you can have access to that feat that lets DFA pick from the Warlock invocation list. That significantly augments options. Can't remember the name right now.

Save a feat slot for Draconic Cohort (Draconomicon). As a DFA, what would be cooler than an actual dragon friend/ally? While at low-levels, it's not so great, it can be awesome later on with a more powerful cohort. Also, rolling for a DFA gets real boring eventually, so having a cohort to roll attacks for is a nice change of pace.

Also, if your Intelligence isn't terrible, try to get Knowledge Devotion (Complete Champion). With ranks in Knowledge (nature), Knowledge (arcane), and Knowledge (local), you will be getting extra damage to most creatures one encounters in the game. Add in the Collector of Stories skill trick (Complete Scoundrel...note: only usable once per encounter), and that invocation that improves Knowledge checks, this can be some useful optimization. With the invocation, you can probably use this even with a not-high Int score.

Provided that the DM rules that Knowledge Devotion adds to breath weapon damage rolls (and by RAW, I'm pretty sure it does).

Ability Focus is another mainstay of DFA design, though I'm not clear how the math on the optimization level of the feat pans out.

Good luck. DFA is a cool class, and I like the flavor you have set forth for your kobold character.

Karnith
2013-11-08, 02:47 PM
Consider asking the DM if you can have access to that feat that lets DFA pick from the Warlock invocation list. That significantly augments options. Can't remember the name right now.
The feat is Infernal Adept, and it's available for free on the mothership (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070613). Unfortunately, a character must be able to use Greater Invocations to take it, so it's of little use to a third-level DFA.

Also, you're supposed to go on a quest for it if you aren't an Outsider or Fey, but that's less of a big deal.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-08, 02:52 PM
Grab a mithril chain shirt-- 1100 gold for +4 AC with no ACP, so it doesn't matter that you're not proficient.

If I remember correctly, it lets you pick invocations two levels lower than your max-- not usable until high levels.

Ability Focus is another mainstay of DFA design, though I'm not clear how the math on the optimization level of the feat pans out.
Given that your breath weapon is your main attack form, it's probably worth it.

Oh, and obligatory handbook link. (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1101061)

kpumphre
2013-11-08, 02:55 PM
only have 900 gp righ now so mithral shirt is out

What meta breath feats and do I have access to them right now?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-08, 03:01 PM
only have 900 gp righ now so mithral shirt is out

What meta breath feats and do I have access to them right now?
Technically, none-- they require a recharge time measured in rounds, and your breath weapon is at-will. Your DM might be lenient, though.

If you first grab the Power Surge (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Power_Surge)feat, it should work by RAW and RAI.

kpumphre
2013-11-08, 03:05 PM
Power surge with EE seems pretty nice so it would last for 1d4 rounds plus 50%

kpumphre
2013-11-08, 03:10 PM
What about invocations? I mean beguiling influence is one but I do have a second one. spell failure should have no effect currently since I'll cast the invocation with out wearing any. Weight though does matter

kpumphre
2013-11-08, 03:23 PM
I was thinking of taking armor of scales and if I do a party member might be willing to give me amulet of natural armor. So my Ac would go up by +2 and his and two other would go up by +1 what do you think.

I do qualify for this right?

Toliudar
2013-11-08, 03:25 PM
Endure Exposure is a pretty great invocation all on its own, and really helps simplify breathing into melee.

Big Fau
2013-11-08, 03:28 PM
Endure Exposure is a pretty great invocation all on its own, and really helps simplify breathing into melee.

Absolutely this. You need it if you're playing a DFA.

jindra34
2013-11-08, 03:29 PM
Whats the detect magic/identify one called. Thats always a good choice. No wasting time or money on figuring out what to do with all that nice LOOT.

kpumphre
2013-11-08, 03:57 PM
I was thinking of getting the detect magic one/ or EE for my second invocation. But i think our rouges are staying back and I normally am in the front with the fighter so it has not come in to effect yet.

For My second feat I'm thinking either Draconic Aura, or armor of scales