PDA

View Full Version : More Fighter Feats

Deepblue706
2007-01-08, 05:35 PM
I've always felt there's been a gap in the aspect of Fighting in D&D. And I would say that gap lies in the psychological realm, and actually um...say, using things like "tactics". Here are a few feats I've been toying around with - I'd like some input on how they stand, conceptually and mechanically.

Feign Vulnerability [Fighter, General]

As battles rage on, those that fight eventually wear down and must struggle to keep going. But, what if you could fool your opponent into thinking you've reached that point, when you just quite haven't yet?

Pre-reqs: Int 13+, Combat Expertise

As a swift action, you may act a slight stagger, a small retreat, pitiful strikes, or a slight drop in your guard to lure an opponent into a state of overconfidence. You must make a Bluff check, which your target must beat with an opposed Sense Motive check. If they succeed, they are unconvinced you can easily be toppled over, and continue the fight as normal. If they fail, their attacks against you are done in false security (they receive a -4 penalty to AC). Regardless, the action compromises your own defense, giving you a -1 penalty to AC until your next turn.

If at any time you attack the affected foe without making use of the Combat Expertise feat, or fighting defensively (or both), the effect ends, because openly showing your full ability to fight renders the guise useless. Only through fighting in a less-straightforward manner can you continue to convince the target you are weak.

Using Feign Vulnerability against a foe who has successfully dealt damage to you in the previous round recieves an additional -1 AC penalty.

Using Feign Vulnerablity against a foe and failing does not prevent you from making further Feign Vulnerability checks against them, but they receive a +4 bonus to Sense Motive whenever you make additional attempts.

Swift Riposte [Fighter, General]

Pre-Reqs: Int 13+, Combat Expertise

If an opponent attacks you and does not successfully hit you (at all), this feat entitles you to quickly strike back (once), at half BAB, at the end of their turn, as an Attack of Opportunity. You must be aware of the foe's presence, and they must still be within your range at the end of their turn. If you have already struck the target with an Attack of Opportunity this turn, you may not use Swift Riposte unless you have additional Attacks of Opportunity at your disposal.

Feign Invulnerability [Fighter, General]

Pre-Reqs: Cha 13+, Con 13+, BAB 6+

Immediately after being struck by an opponent, you may try to make it seem as if the blow did little, or even nothing to you. Make an Intimidate check opposed by Sense Motive checks of your attacker, and all enemies who can see you, within 20ft. Those who succeed are unaffected. Those who fail are treated as "Shaken" for 1d3 rounds.

Scourge of Battle [Fighter, General]

Pre-Reqs: Feign Invulnerability, Cha 13+, Con 13+, BAB 12+

You are seen as a ferocious beast of a warrior, striking fear into the hearts of foes and onlookers. A battle against you seems hopeless.

In battle, so long as you are at full HP, all foes within 20ft of you are "Shaken", unless they succeed a Will save (DC = 1/2 ECL + 10 + CHA MOD). On the result falling short of the DC by 10 or more, they are not "Shaken" but "Frightened". Succeeding a Will save one turn only prevents any condition from acting that turn - those still within 20ft on later turns must continue to make such Will saves until "Shaken" or "Frightened".

If you fall below full HP, the effect ends at end of turn unless you successfully make a Concentration check (DC = 10 + damage dealt). If you fail, then any foes "Shaken" as a result of your actions remain so for 1 round, and then return to normal. If you succeed, treat yourself as if you had full HP for purposes of this feat.

Dropping a foe adds +1 DC to the Will saves of foes. This effect stacks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a few more under construction, but I guess this is enough for now.

Peregrine
2007-01-09, 10:18 AM
Ooh... I like these. :smallsmile: Conceptually, they're awesome. Mechanically, they mostly look good, except:

Clarify a few things on Feign Vulnerability. The bit about 'if you attack with full BAB' is unclear; I assume this means you're expected to be using your Combat Expertise against them? Say so. (Maybe look at the rules for feinting, to see if you want to add any modifiers to the Bluff or Sense Motive checks.) Also, you say 'surmizes' where I think you mean 'compromises'.

With Swift Riposte, I feel it would make more sense and be more balanced if a riposte was in fact an AoO.

Scourge of Battle is just awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Deepblue706
2007-01-09, 12:22 PM
Ooh... I like these. :smallsmile: Conceptually, they're awesome. Mechanically, they mostly look good, except:

Clarify a few things on Feign Vulnerability. The bit about 'if you attack with full BAB' is unclear; I assume this means you're expected to be using your Combat Expertise against them? Say so. (Maybe look at the rules for feinting, to see if you want to add any modifiers to the Bluff or Sense Motive checks.) Also, you say 'surmizes' where I think you mean 'compromises'.

With Swift Riposte, I feel it would make more sense and be more balanced if a riposte was in fact an AoO.

Scourge of Battle is just awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Whoops. Yeah, "compromise". Ha.

I'll adjust Swft Ripost and reword Feign Vulnerability. Thank you for commenting!

XtheYeti
2007-01-09, 12:37 PM
I think that feign vulnurability is already allowed via the feint action but i could be wrong. and i think that feign invul can be done without the feat too. but the others look sweet

Deepblue706
2007-01-09, 01:15 PM
I think that feign vulnurability is already allowed via the feint action but i could be wrong. and i think that feign invul can be done without the feat too. but the others look sweet

Feint action denies dex modifier to AC. I wanted another effect, is all.

Matthew
2007-01-10, 01:39 PM
Swift Riposte is nice. I did something similar that required Combat Expertise as an entry Feat, as well as a homebrewed Parry Feat (+1 AC against one declared target). The Counter Attack Feat allowed an immediate Attack of Opportunity versus the declared opponent on a missed attack.

Long story short, I think Swift Riposte could be made at Full AB without problem.

Deepblue706
2007-01-10, 03:06 PM
Long story short, I think Swift Riposte could be made at Full AB without problem.

Yeah, I didn't want to make the ability ridiculous, but at the same time it might not be useful enough without full BAB. Maybe I'll change that...

Ultimatum479
2007-01-10, 04:36 PM
Swift action? Feign Vulnerability sounds horribly overpowered for having only a single pre-requisite feat which is already used as a pre-req for multiple other feats. The others, while powerful, are fine because of their pre-reqs. Anywho, pretty cool other than that.