PDA

View Full Version : 1-level dip in a casting PrC

yougi
2013-11-08, 05:23 PM
So here's the Character I have in mind:

Race: Halfling
Swordsage 1/Swashbuckler 1/Bard 3/_______/JPM 4/Sublime Chord 1/JPM +6/Sublime Chord +3

If all is as I wanted, that would give me 9th and BAB +15 (or +16) by 20th level (although I doubt we'll reach that level).

Feats:
1- Shadow Blade
1 (Flaw)- Two-Weapon Fighting
Bonus - Weapon Finesse
3- Snowflake Wardance

Snowflake Wardance can be delayed to 6th, and Strongheart Halfling can be chosen for the extra feat if necessary (probably will actually).

The Swashbuckler level is only there for Weapon Finesse, and can be changed for Fighter if that matters.

Skills matter little to me, and are quite numerous...

Here is my question: at 5th level, can such a build qualify for ANY +1 caster level PrC before getting into JPM? +1 BAB and not terrible HD are an asset, not being too-feat expensive is better, and cool abilities are awesome.

Unseen Seer is doable, but the +1d6 Sneak Attack would be lost (if I get Assassin's Stance later, would I get to use that +1d6?), and all it would give me compared to Bard 4 is a +1 to Will, vs a +1 to Reflex and one more Wardance/day: not worth it.

Korahir
2013-11-08, 05:27 PM
i think this thread will help you:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2546.0

You will find a section called early entry: it lists all(?) of the ECL 5 and below PrC.

herrhauptmann
2013-11-08, 05:34 PM
I don't see why assassins stance would stop you from using the sneak attack you've already gotten.

There's also Spellsword, which is sort of the 0th level of AC.
Abjurant champion is a good prc. Yes, even with the feat prereq. Not quite doable yet, since I believe it requires 5 bab, and you've only got 4 from your first 5 levels.

yougi
2013-11-08, 06:26 PM
i think this thread will help you:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2546.0

You will find a section called early entry: it lists all(?) of the ECL 5 and below PrC.

Interesting, thank you!

I don't see why assassins stance would stop you from using the sneak attack you've already gotten.

There's also Spellsword, which is sort of the 0th level of AC.
Abjurant champion is a good prc. Yes, even with the feat prereq. Not quite doable yet, since I believe it requires 5 bab, and you've only got 4 from your first 5 levels.

AC indeed requires +5 BAB. And this character, at ECL5, has +3 (+0 Swordsage, +1 Swashbuckler, +2 Bard).

Spellsword was my first idea, but in addition to not giving me much (10% arcane failure means I can wear light, which I already can as a Bard), it requires +4 BAB.

herrhauptmann
2013-11-08, 07:53 PM
Interesting, thank you!

AC indeed requires +5 BAB. And this character, at ECL5, has +3 (+0 Swordsage, +1 Swashbuckler, +2 Bard).

Spellsword was my first idea, but in addition to not giving me much (10% arcane failure means I can wear light, which I already can as a Bard), it requires +4 BAB.

Not fractional bab then? That's a shame.
Again, why would assassins stance stop you from using the sneak attack granted by other classes/prc?

The advantage to the -10 ASF, is that you can then start to wear more and heavier armors. Especially if you stack them.
Also you know, it boosts your BAB and HP.
Mithral is -10.
Spellsword is -10.
Twilight is -10.
Thistledown? Another -10.
That right there is enough to put you in full plate.
Since your dex is probably decent, and if snowflake allows shields, you could wield one of those and wear lighter armor. Not for the AC, but for the defensive enchantments you can put on it.

yougi
2013-11-09, 01:35 AM
Again, why would assassins stance stop you from using the sneak attack granted by other classes/prc?

It's not that it would stop me, but Unseen Seer specifies it doesn't give the ability to sneak attack/sudden strike/skirmsh, but it adds 1d6 to the extra damage. Because when I'd take US, I wouldn't have the ability to SA, so couldn't gain the +1d6, ain't that correct? If so, then my question is would Assassin's Stance take that +1d6.

The advantage to the -10 ASF, is that you can then start to wear more and heavier armors. Especially if you stack them.
Also you know, it boosts your BAB and HP.
Mithral is -10.
Spellsword is -10.
Twilight is -10.
Thistledown? Another -10.
That right there is enough to put you in full plate.
Since your dex is probably decent, and if snowflake allows shields, you could wield one of those and wear lighter armor. Not for the AC, but for the defensive enchantments you can put on it.

True. However: The character will be TWF-focused, so shields are a big no-no. And Snowflake doesn't allow medium/heavy armor, so....

Rebel7284
2013-11-09, 01:41 AM
If you switch Swordsage to Warblade, you get Spellsword at that level. Of course this changes the character a lot. Warblades are nice though.

Ruethgar
2013-11-09, 11:20 AM
Take one bloodline level for 2nd level. You can then get the max skill ranks you need to to get into JPM at character level 5 instead of 6 and can tack on an extra Sublime Chord level at the end.

yougi
2013-11-09, 12:33 PM
If you switch Swordsage to Warblade, you get Spellsword at that level. Of course this changes the character a lot. Warblades are nice though.

Yes, but it (a) doesn't fit the concept, and (b) would keep me from taking Shadow Blades (which requires a Shadow Hand maneuver).

Take one bloodline level for 2nd level. You can then get the max skill ranks you need to to get into JPM at character level 5 instead of 6 and can tack on an extra Sublime Chord level at the end.

Hmmmm... that's not a bad idea, just have to see what the DM says about Bloodlines.