PDA

View Full Version : I Will Save Everyone!

Reddog51
2013-11-08, 06:45 PM
Hey again playgrounders. I have a question/story.

Story 1st. I'm taking part in my first game. It's pathfinder. I think my halfing been pulling her weight but I have came close to causing a TPK more than once. I won't get into both of the events.

The event I am talking about was cause of a dwarf we found underground. I wanted to bring him in a alive. He was not evil so I saw little reason to kill him. Then he knocked out most of the party. I still tried to bring him in alive.

Me, the only other PC not get knocked out by dwarf, and a NPC fought him. Until he ran away.

Now the questions. Was I in the wrong? Should I drop the dwarf next time I see him? Have anyone had to make this choice before?

Char sheet if anyone want to look at it

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=640303

tahu88810
2013-11-08, 06:47 PM
What would your character do, in the given situation? This may change based on information you get on him, and the exact specifications of your next encounter with him? Why were you trying to capture him?

Reddog51
2013-11-08, 07:21 PM
What would your character do, in the given situation? This may change based on information you get on him, and the exact specifications of your next encounter with him? Why were you trying to capture him?

The reason why I wanted to capture him. I want to avoid killing without good cause. I thought we could take him. Odds are I am going to try again next me we met.

tahu88810
2013-11-08, 10:07 PM
Yes, but why are you in opposition to him to begin with?

Slipperychicken
2013-11-08, 10:24 PM
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=640303

How did you get Oracle stuff?

And how did you try dealing nonlethal damage as a Gunslinger?

Reddog51
2013-11-08, 10:34 PM
I don't know how to muti-quote so I will answer both your questions.

Tahu, we just came across him and he attacked us. I think he is insane.

Chicken, my 2nd level was oracle and my rapier.

JHShadon
2013-11-08, 11:01 PM

I think you just press the "+ button on the posts you want to quote and then click post reply.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-11-09, 02:35 AM

Tahu, we just came across him and he attacked us. I think he is insane.

Chicken, my 2nd level was oracle and my rapier.Stumbling upon a madman once is a coincidence. Stumbling into that same madman 3 times is something deeper. Between now and your next encounter you should look into finding out who this guy really is. A nut-case tends to stand out so there should be some rumors floating around if you're somewhere civilized and not in the middle of nowhere.

I think you just press the "+ button on the posts you want to quote and then click post reply.
It's the brown quote mark next to the more obvious quote button and just above the little +.

Reddog51
2013-11-09, 02:51 AM
Stumbling upon a madman once is a coincidence. Stumbling into that same madman 3 times is something deeper. Between now and your next encounter you should look into finding out who this guy really is. A nut-case tends to stand out so there should be some rumors floating around if you're somewhere civilized and not in the middle of nowhere.

It's the brown quote mark next to the more obvious quote button and just above the little +.

I have only met him once. The other story I almost killed the party was trying to build something to help free a trapped man. Right now we just made it into an underground mutant city. I will try to dig up more info about our dwarf

Thanks for the help with the quoting

Anxe
2013-11-09, 01:54 PM
If your character never wants to kill people, I'd say that's a strong character trait that you should keep going forward. However, I think even modern police would consider it acceptable to use lethal force to apprehend this criminal after he's escaped three times. This assumes he is a criminal of course.

Slipperychicken
2013-11-09, 03:32 PM
If you want to play a character who does nonlethal damage, it's perfectly valid, just don't be a complete idiot about it. If letting someone live means more people die, acknowledge that and do something* about it. Even Gandhi knew, that (in Orwell's words (http://www.k-1.com/Orwell/site/work/essays/ghandi.html)) "If you are not prepared to take life, you must often be prepared for lives to be lost in some other way".

*My suggestion is to disable opponents when you cannot otherwise prevent them from doing evil. For example, a bandit without feet will have a hard time harassing ordinary people, and most spellcasters cannot cast without hands. Also, there may be some situations where your character considers taking a life to be necessary.

If your character never wants to kill people, I'd say that's a strong character trait that you should keep going forward. However, I think even modern police would consider it acceptable to use lethal force to apprehend this criminal after he's escaped three times. This assumes he is a criminal of course.

In my country, cops shoot (and are legally allowed to shoot) when they think they might be in danger, often killing people who were just reaching for their wallets. So yeah, they'd most likely support killing him the moment he moves to draw a weapon.

Reddog51
2013-11-09, 06:51 PM
I understand the 1st rule of adventurers. Kill or be killed, and Cora has racked up a pretty good body count against a few bugs and a darkmantle. My goal is to only kill mindless things and pure evil things. I want to save everyone but I understand that will be hard.

Friv
2013-11-09, 07:46 PM

WHAT.

I never knew that this was a thing! I've been manually copy-pasting my replies for years.

(On-Topic): There is nothing wrong with being averse to killing people, presuming that your DM is on board. It's possible that they assume that players will kill people, and thus didn't give the bad guy more background than "evil dwarf". Once that's done, why not have him come back? Saves writing a new enemy.

You can try talking to him while you fight next time, maybe play on the "I don't want to kill you, but if you keep trying to kill me I bloody well might by mistake" angle. Or you can play up the character trait that you don't believe in killing sentient beings unless it's absolutely necessary.

I'd say the key is to make sure you don't push it to a point that everyone else at your table gets mad at you. If you think they're getting frustrated, check with them between sessions.

Yukitsu
2013-11-09, 08:11 PM
If you're ever grabbing people from a hostile area, and they may also be hostiles, you reduce the number of people you have to kill by very strongly securing them all. Just because they're being brought back alive doesn't mean they should be free to do what they want.

Reddog51
2013-11-09, 08:18 PM
I know Yukitsu. The plan was to knock him out and then tie him up with rope.

Gray Mage
2013-11-09, 08:36 PM
Nothing much to say that hasn't been said about trying to catch people alive, so I'll ask about your party members. What are their builds? Are they on board with this? Is your DM on board? How did the fight go, did the dwarf use non-lethal damage himself?

Also, to denote multiclassing, a "/" is usually used to separate the classes. So your char is a Gunslinger 1/Oracle 1, that might help to avoid some mix-ups.

Edit: You might also want to pick some debuffs/BFC spells if you plan on sticking to Oracle.

Yukitsu
2013-11-09, 09:05 PM
I know Yukitsu. The plan was to knock him out and then tie him up with rope.

Generally if they aren't compliant or incapacitated, then it's a truly awful idea trying to avoid causing casualties. Good rule of thumb is if someone is fighting you, you shoot to kill.

nedz
2013-11-11, 02:49 AM
WHAT.
I never knew that this was a thing! I've been manually copy-pasting my replies for years.

Yeah, I'd been posting here for ages before someone told me about that. Incidentally I'd never noticed the + before :smallsigh:

OnTopic:
Can you reliably drop him with a mix of lethal and non lethal damage ?
That normally keeps them alive.

Also: your alignment is listed a N, yet you seem to be playing NG ?

Psyren
2013-11-11, 10:11 AM
Keep in mind that you don't need to do nonlethal the whole time to knock somebody out. You can pile on the damage normally up front and then make the final blow be to incapacitate, Vile-vs.-Megaman style. This is particularly important if you're taking penalties to hit when you're trying to do nonlethal.

Craft (Cheese)
2013-11-11, 10:23 AM
I understand the 1st rule of adventurers. Kill or be killed, and Cora has racked up a pretty good body count against a few bugs and a darkmantle. My goal is to only kill mindless things and pure evil things. I want to save everyone but I understand that will be hard.

By "Pure Evil Things" do you mean just demons, or do demon cultists count too?

Reddog51
2013-11-11, 11:10 PM
By "Pure Evil Things" do you mean just demons, or do demon cultists count too?

Still new to this so I can't think of an easy way to say it. Evil without pain for your actions, without trying to change, taking joy in your actions. If I don't think you can dig yourself out of your own darkness I will bury you there. I think I got a little IC there, my bad

Keep in mind that you don't need to do nonlethal the whole time to knock somebody out. You can pile on the damage normally up front and then make the final blow be to incapacitate, Vile-vs.-Megaman style. This is particularly important if you're taking penalties to hit when you're trying to do nonlethal.

Thanks for the idea. I did not think of that

Slipperychicken
2013-11-11, 11:27 PM

Yeah, but it's a pretty big gamble when you can't see the target's hit point totals.

nedz
2013-11-12, 05:34 AM
Yeah, but it's a pretty big gamble when you can't see the target's hit point totals.

But so long as someone has done some non-lethal damage the gap between conscious and dead is widened. Doesn't always help if someone crits or does a lot of damage in one hit, but it increases the odds.