PDA

View Full Version : Explosives Expert

Morithias
2013-11-08, 11:30 PM
How would one go around making this? Basically a character whose answer to everything is "Strap a bomb to it and blow it the hell up?"

The obvious answer so far is probably the pathfinder alchemist, but I'm curious if there's any other good options, or hints on how to go about with this plan to blow up a good chunk of the planet in the process of saving it.

ArcturusV
2013-11-08, 11:49 PM
This is probably something I'd run on a Ranger chassis. Granted, never PFed. So I'm thinking in third terms.

Because the Ranger gets me spellcasting that allows for Alchemy. Plus the ranger spell list isn't exactly terrible for the concept support in general. But I want enough skill points that not only can I get the various stealthing skills (Hide, Move Silently, Spot, Listen, etc) but also Craft (Alchemy) and Craft (Trapmaking).

Because any schmuck can throw a grenade. That's lame. And likely to have you miss, hit the scatter diagram and screw yourself. It always happens when someone decides to be the guy throwing Alchemist Fire and such. And everytime it happens to a player and he finds out he tagged himself with his own Alchemist fire he looks at me like it never occurred that it could happen to him.

So trapping. Because that way you can guarantee safe, effective delivery. Combine say, Alchemist Fire loaded crossbow bolts triggered on a tripwire trap and you have your basic version of a fantasy claymore. And that's how I'd do it, I'd go demolitionist rather than risk grenade scatters.

Morithias
2013-11-08, 11:52 PM
Hmmm, that's....not quite what I had in mind...I was hoping for someone a little more over the top..

...someone like.....

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/269/6/7/tiny_tina_borderlands_2_by_bl4upunkt-d5fxzmm.jpg

Her.

ArcturusV
2013-11-08, 11:57 PM
Heh. Well, sadly I lack the mindset for over the top. I'm more of a "make good contact" hitter over the big home run swing. Hmm. If something suitably more insane comes to mind I'll mention it.

Morithias
2013-11-09, 12:00 AM
Heh. Well, sadly I lack the mindset for over the top. I'm more of a "make good contact" hitter over the big home run swing. Hmm. If something suitably more insane comes to mind I'll mention it.

Thank you for your advice though. It will analyzed and considered.

Vedhin
2013-11-09, 12:19 AM
Have you looked at the Explosive Pack in Secrets of Sarlona? It is basically a time-bomb. You can also stack multiple for more damage and bigger blast radius.

Epsilon Rose
2013-11-09, 12:30 AM
Would you or your DM be open to homebrew?

If you are, there's the homebrew class called Runic Demolisher (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210029) by Realms of Chaos. It's main focus is taking Explosive Runes, lots of them, and modifying them for different situations. The first sets of modifications you get are changing the triggers (so it can be on a timer, voice activated, pressure triggered, used as an attack or sight triggered) and the damage type (with all the normal types of damage + force and sonic). It gets more interesting from there.

Evandar
2013-11-09, 12:39 AM
Fire Seeds
Conjuration (Creation) [Fire]
Level: Drd 6, Fire 6, Sun 6
Components: V, S, M
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Targets: Up to four touched acorns or up to eight touched holly berries
Duration: 10 min./level or until used
Saving Throw: None or Reflex half; see text
Spell Resistance: No

[snip]

Holly Berry Bombs: You turn as many as eight holly berries into special bombs. The holly berries are usually placed by hand, since they are too light to make effective thrown weapons (they can be tossed only 5 feet). If you are within 200 feet and speak a word of command, each berry instantly bursts into flame, causing 1d8 points of fire damage +1 point per caster level to every creature in a 5-foot radius burst and igniting any combustible materials within 5 feet. A creature in the area that makes a successful Reflex saving throw takes only half damage.
Material Component: The acorns or holly berries.

That spell sounds like it could be a step in the right direction in that it is remote-activated and explosive, but I don't see the other class features on druid/cleric being the right flavor at all.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-11-09, 12:46 AM
Have you looked at the Explosive Pack in Secrets of Sarlona? It is basically a time-bomb. You can also stack multiple for more damage and bigger blast radius.

Don't forget to put ranks in know: (architecture and engineering) so that you can get maximum use out of those. Blowing up buildings is often just as satisfying as blowing up people.

Vedhin
2013-11-09, 12:56 AM
Don't forget to put ranks in know: (architecture and engineering) so that you can get maximum use out of those. Blowing up buildings is often just as satisfying as blowing up people.

Actually, you get better results with Profession (Siege Engineer). A DC 20 check doubles damage, and DC 30 triples it. The multipliers are only for stationary objects, however. Still, 30d6 damage in a 20ft radius burst to objects is quite impressive.

For remote activation, I seem to remember there being something in Song and Silence.
EDIT: That something is the Breaker Bottle. It's 150gp, and shatters with a command word.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-11-09, 01:04 AM
Actually, you get better results with Profession (Siege Engineer). A DC 20 check doubles damage, and DC 30 triples it. The multipliers are only for stationary objects, however. Still, 30d6 damage in a 20ft radius burst to objects is quite impressive.

For remote activation, I seem to remember there being something in Song and Silence.

Bah, that's what I get going from memory.

Might be able to sell the DM on using know arc & eng to decide where to place the charges to bring a building down without having to go square by square along the walls.

Nettlekid
2013-11-09, 02:25 AM
I wouldn't discount how good Explosive Runes can be. Get a wand of it, or a command-word activated item, and just make stacks of papers with it on it. Then all you have to do is tape them to walls and get someone to read them, or purposely fail a dispel.

unseenmage
2013-11-09, 02:39 AM

And you can make more. Or if you're an Artificer you can have your Unseen Crafter infusions make lots and lots more.

Forrestfire
2013-11-09, 02:56 AM
I would most likely go with artificer to make stuff like use-activated items of fireball/other spells (web grenade? bad-science "cold fusion device?" The possibilities are endless) and explosive runes bombs (for use against structures so as to not get books thrown at you). Heroes of Battle has explosive mines as well.

Or a refluffed sorcerer/wizard using Orbs and evocations to do stuff. Nothing says "I just blew a hole in something" like a refluffed disintegrate. Dragonfire Adept works here as well for closer-range grenade-type bombs, but lacks the punch of bigger explosives.