PDA

View Full Version : Need some help balancing and help selling this to my Dm : Ghost Favored Soul

CyberThread
2013-11-09, 01:21 AM
So am trying to rig right now a basic build, that is not cheating, and has some self made blocks in it.

I am going to do a level 5 favored soul ghost, when a level 6 is the allowed application creation.

5 levels fs/ 1 bought off LA/ and one extra LA remaining to be bought off.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a (savage progression ghost)

Now, my back story is I intend to be a favored soul, who is follows Helm, haunting the forest, afraid of dyeing, and who the god is giving one final quest in redemption before accepting him back into the fold, or fall risk of being a false believer (wall of the faithless )

I am going so far as two levels of the Ghost template to gain , Etherlness, Fly ,Ghostly Equipment , Undeath, and Telekinesis (and +2 CHA).

I will be playing as if, am physical on the material plane, so will not be fully benefiting from Etheralness.

Will be wearing a bag of holding, that has my skeleton and equipment in it, so can upgrade what I wear as a ghost.

Am undead... so all that comes with that and the huge risk of being a low level undead.

I come at this with also a modification of favored soul, I get to pick one domain and get the spells, as spells known, but I don't get the domains powers. Oddly enough, Helm has some pretty sucky domains, so think I will end up being stuck with the Strength domain for spell selections.

As a ghost, I get d12 instead of d8 of a normal favored soul, so am not as afraid to do a melee route, following my god of duty, means I get free access to the bastard sword, which means ill be using a shield on top of it. So am thinking, let my feats fall along the line of

Human: Wild Co-hort 1st Versatile Spellcaster 3rd Ancestral Relic

What ... well this is a sloppy post, so I am sorry for that, but what do you think overall?

Spore
2013-11-09, 04:19 AM
First of all, the flight should go right out of the window. If you are physical, gravity affects you. Other than that I really cannot see the POINT of a ghostly character that can fully manifest on the physical realm.

The entire point of most ghost stories is it that they cannot or very difficulty can manipulate anything on the physical realm. I might go the route of etherealness, meleeing with an ghost-touched weapon and buffs but otherwise unable to interact with the physical world. Have your group members be significant for your character to explain why you follow them (and perhaps let one of them carry your skeleton bag).

Also consider that you have a physical ability score less, so please take penalties to your rolls (add up charisma and constitution dice and then half it).

avr
2013-11-09, 04:24 AM
D12 hd with no con bonus is the same average as D8 with a 14 con. That's no real improvement. You're not going to be incorporeal if I understand correctly so you better have armor and defensive buffs available.

Being physical is going to be necessary until you get a ghost touch weapon, certainly. I.e. character level 7 if using the relic feat. Etherealness could be very handy for scouting I guess.

ArcturusV
2013-11-09, 04:31 AM
You know... is strikes me that this character concept exactly is supposed to be what the Risen Martyr PrC is about. As much as people lambast it... that's what it is. I mean directly on the tin. "I give you life so you can prove your worth and accomplish your last task".

And honestly having a Favored Soul 5/Risen Martyr 2, and then continue into Favored Soul will still get you undead(ish), charisma buff. Lose ethereal, Flight, Telekenesis, gain instead Bless 3/day SLA, Constant and unending Magic Circle Against Evil (Which is the winner in my book, well worth giving up flight and ethereal), and Cha to AC.

Just a thought.