PDA

View Full Version : Master of the Unseen Hand's Capstone...

Rubik
2013-11-09, 01:23 AM
...is redundant and useless.

Fling Skyward (Ex): Rather than hurling a creature toward another target, a 5th-level master of the unseen hand can use the violent thrust version of telekinesis to hurl a creature straight up. A target is allowed a Will save (and spell resistance) to negate the effect. The master of the unseen hand can lift a creature into the air a maximum distance of 10 feet per caster level. At the beginning of the character's next action, the creature falls to the ground, taking 1d6 points of damage per 10 feet fallen. Unlike other times when a master of the unseen hand uses the violent thrust version of telekinesis, flinging a foe skyward immediately ends the telekinesis effect.

The Fling Skyward ability is pointless, since you can aim for a given grid intersection in range at an AC of 5 (see the rules for aiming under splash weapons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#throwSplashWeapon), which many creatures are, if you fling them hard enough). Functionally, it's virtually identical; the only thing Fling Skyward does is rid the process of the DC 5 attack roll, which isn't exactly difficult, and even if you miss, you simply "hit" an adjacent grid intersection instead.

Any arguments against this?

Crake
2013-11-09, 08:43 PM
Nope, I completely agree, I've had many a fun time flinging people around with telekinesis like that. Typically I fling them up and to the side though, to get them out of my way.

Rubik
2013-11-09, 08:45 PM
I just noticed -- Fling Skyward says nothing about the 20d6 terminal velocity cap...

Phelix-Mu
2013-11-09, 08:47 PM
Actually, I think the ability has a small difference from the normal telekinesis use. Apparently, the PrC ability keeps the creature in the air for one round. Normally, the creature is thrust up, and then falling happens instantaneously. I think.

Not sure this is useful. Certainly doesn't sound like a power boost, in any case. So, I'd just skip that last level, unless the previous level abilities have improvements at the fifth level. Overall, I still like the PrC. Very nice for non-casters that have somehow acquired a telekinesis SLA or Su.