PDA

View Full Version : Domain Powers question

KrimsonNekros
2013-11-09, 02:36 AM
So I'm wondering about something regarding the domain powers. I've seen a couple that grant additional class skills or bonus feats. If something happens that causes you to lose access to a domain that grants you a bonus feat, would you still have your feat, or would you lose it with the domain?

AuraTwilight
2013-11-09, 02:53 AM
I suppose that would depend on what's meant by losing access to a Domain. If it is just being suppressed I'd say no; if you lose the Domain ENTIRELY, I'd say yes.

OldTrees1
2013-11-09, 02:57 AM
I do not know how a domain could be "suppressed". It can be traded or substituted. In those cases you lose the Domain power and thus lose the bonus feat.

AuraTwilight
2013-11-09, 02:44 PM
I do not know how a domain could be "suppressed".

I was thinking Antimagic and/or "The DM is doing a fiat-y thing for the storyline."

Yuki Akuma
2013-11-09, 02:49 PM
I was thinking Antimagic and/or "The DM is doing a fiat-y thing for the storyline."

Domain abilities aren't innately magical. One that grants a feat won't be suppressed by antimagic, because feats are extraordinary (usually).

Chronos
2013-11-09, 02:50 PM
Antimagic doesn't deny you your domains. It interferes with spells, and some domain powers are supernatural or spell-like, but an extraordinary domain power would remain.

If you do somehow lose a domain, though, you lose the domain granted power, whatever it is. This means that you lose the feat, if that's what the power is, and you also lose the skills as class skills. Note, however, that if you have already spent skill points to buy skill ranks, you keep those: The domain doesn't give you the ranks themselves, just the ability to buy them at normal price, and you had that ability when you bought them. If you still lacked your domain when you leveled up, you would have to pay double for ranks, or possibly not be able to buy any at all if you were over the cross-class cap.

AuraTwilight
2013-11-09, 05:44 PM
Domain abilities aren't innately magical. One that grants a feat won't be suppressed by antimagic, because feats are extraordinary (usually).

Which is why I ruled that a feat would be maintained in such a situation. :3

Curmudgeon
2013-11-09, 08:34 PM
Domain abilities aren't innately magical.
Actually, I can list 38 domains whose granted powers are Supernatural, and another 7 whose granted powers are Spell-like. That pegs a significant fraction (about 30%) of all domain abilities as innately magical.

One that grants a feat won't be suppressed by antimagic,
That's true

because feats are extraordinary (usually).
... and that's not. Feats are untyped (usually).