PDA

View Full Version : overrated?

zeratul
2007-01-08, 07:03 PM
does anyone else feel erfworld is kinda overrated. I mean it's ok but it doesent seem that high quelity.

Xaspian
2007-01-08, 07:12 PM
Umm... Overrated by all the people who say it's not as good as OotS, the jokes are too silly/obvious/subtle/obscure, that it's childish and they won't be reading it any more?

I think that Erfworld is not overrated. There are lots of complaints about on these forums.

And now we're beginning to see the effort being put into the project, I think that it is probably deserving of higher ratings than it has.

If almost everyone said that it was amazing, one of the best things they'd ever seen in their life, and that the creators should be worshipped as gods would be overrated. A relatively small number people showing their appreciation for the good artwork and humourous scripts,as well as praising the extra touches (Hamstard) is not overrating, it's giving it what it deserves.

zeratul
2007-01-08, 07:20 PM
i think it's funny too but like as mutch as grande avenue in the funny pages im saying it's just not that great

Xaspian
2007-01-08, 07:23 PM
But lots of people are saying it's not that great... Surely that implies that it's not overrated?

jono
2007-01-08, 07:27 PM
I can't say I've ever seen a rating for erfworld before; 'over', or otherwise. As a matter of fact I quite like it. I don't know why, and I don't feel paticularly compelled to justify that opinion. Oh well!

Kelsith
2007-01-08, 07:36 PM
i think that Xaspain is right

You dont see much people appraising erfwourld and anyway people have to realize that erfworld is a little more serious of a comic with a few humor points opposed to Order Of The Stick wich is more of humor with a few points of seriousnis in it

I dont really think much of erfworld myself but i can see that it is funnier than almost anyone acknowladges and that if you are givin time to think about it it is a very good webcomic, i just like my webcomics a little less serious

zeratul
2007-01-08, 07:39 PM
huh i see youre poin it is better than many other webcomics i may have been judging it to highly

Jack Zander
2007-01-09, 12:26 AM
I dunno about Erfworld being a serious comic. There is a punchline in almost every comic. Although many people don't find them funny, that doesn't mean its serious. Its definately not overrated though. Maybe by one or two individuals, but not as a whole.

Dao Jones
2007-01-09, 01:29 AM
I really am at a total loss as to why people feel like they have to keep posting how much they don't like this comic. You must be the same people that complain about TV shows, when all you have to do is change the channel. *sigh* Free speech has its downsides, I suppose.

I think part of the problem Erfworld suffers is that it is paired on a website with another comic that A) has a very different style, and B) has been around longer, and thus has a dedicated fanbase. What is happening is that people who like OOTS somewhat expect another comic in a similar vein, and when they don't get it they just decide that the new comic isn't good. Really, it has nothing to do with Erfworld - it's more bad marketing than anything else. It'd be like a network following Family Guy with re-runs of Little House on the Prarie; it's not that either show is bad, but they are for rather different markets, and the fanbases wouldn't have a lot of cross-over. (I'm not implying a comparision with those shows and these comics, mind you.)

Erfworld isn't really a comic in the traditional sense. It's not a one-page "set-up/punchline" gimmick comic. Of course it has humor, but the humor is of a slightly subtler variety, and to me it really feels as if the jokes are set into the backdrop of a larger story. This is not a comic - this is a graphic novel that we're getting a page at a time. I think that, were this to have been released in volumes, rather than pages, it would have much fewer negative responses. Naysayers would be able to read enough to table their concerns and see a genuine plot develop more completely.

But to the OP, I would say Erfworld isn't overrated, simply because it's too new to rate either way. People that might claim it's the greatest thing since sliced bread are as equally amiss as those who are so eager to claim it sucks. It'd be like seeing a baby, and definitively claiming "yep, that kid's gonna be a loser when he grows up". Personally, I think the comic has great potential, and I'm looking forward to it hitting 100 pages, so I can go back and re-read it from the beginning. I'd say any "overrating" of this comic on the part of its fans is merely a response to the negativity of its detractors.

Tor the Fallen
2007-01-09, 01:31 AM
It's trying too hard to be avant garde.

faerwain
2007-01-09, 06:20 AM
I think Dao Jone shas described the situation very accurate, I don't have much to add. I'm still not getting really into erfworld, although I had some amused chuckles from it, but still I'm willing to wait how it develops.

As I see it, a special problem here was simply that erfworld started with the cast page, which was full of very humorous description(and I had the impression that a lot of pepole who don't like it now laughed at this time also) and than moved on into the story kind of slow, and including parts of more strange humour. that not everybody would get/like.

Strangely, the last strip somehow reattached my interest, despite erfworld being a game was not that much surpise as there were enough hints.. Let's see how it evolves.

Om
2007-01-09, 06:50 AM
It's trying too hard to be avant garde.
I assume that by "avant garde" you mean "different from OotS". Erfworld is a lot of things but it can hardly be called experimental in any way, shape or form.

That said I am a firm believer that any piece of art can be improved with the addition of red wedges.

zeratul
2007-01-09, 07:21 AM
i changed my opinion people i understand now

Moechi_Vill
2007-01-09, 08:00 AM
I think the OOtS is overrated by everyone here, it's a successful gamer's comic, it's not the best ever or even close in a wider contest.

MinusInnocence
2007-01-09, 10:09 AM
Damn you, Moechi, beat me to the punch.

I was going to say that all the threads in the OOTS section where people try to dissect every word and speculate on what will happen in future issues; you know the ones, where everyone and their grandma uses spoiler tags to conceal the crazy theories; all of that seems perfectly reasonable and warranted, considering how great OOTS is, by the people who are doing it. As far as I'm concerned it's a little creepy... I mean come on, they're stick figures. Hilarious stick figures and I love OOTS, but it's just not that big a deal.

I hope someday soon it will become less fashionable to rag on Rob and Jamie.

I must not be looking hard enough but I can't really find any threads in the OOTS section ranting about how the comic is corny and why does everyone think it's the bee's knees and why doesn't the Giant just stop wasting his time and get back to game design. Why is that? Because it would be unfair: sure, OOTS is corny, but so is D&D. It's clearly a very well thought out artistic process and no, it's probably NOT as easy as it looks to churn out two or three issues a week, and anyway the guy is busting his butt for his fans so it would be unfair to criticize him that way.

Xiander
2007-01-09, 11:00 AM
Don't rate it people. Read it if you like, and if you don't, then don't. what is the problem?

Tor the Fallen
2007-01-09, 09:29 PM
Don't rate it people. Read it if you like, and if you don't, then don't. what is the problem?

Yeah, and if you do like it, you should just shut up, too!
/fecesism

The_Old_Fox
2007-01-09, 10:41 PM
After just reading the initial post (I am lazy) I will add my two cents.

If anything I think it is underrated, particularly because it is so different from OotS. Additionally, as a story comic, it takes TIME before any judgment really can be made.

I really hope someone already said all this, using bigger and better words and with some snappy phrases and good examples.

Mattaeu
2007-01-10, 09:43 PM
I must not be looking hard enough but I can't really find any threads in the OOTS section ranting about how the comic is corny and why does everyone think it's the bee's knees and why doesn't the Giant just stop wasting his time and get back to game design. Why is that? Because it would be unfair: sure, OOTS is corny, but so is D&D. It's clearly a very well thought out artistic process and no, it's probably NOT as easy as it looks to churn out two or three issues a week, and anyway the guy is busting his butt for his fans so it would be unfair to criticize him that way.

No. You aren't looking hard enough Half the boards disappeared. (it's really annoying when i remember a great thread, only to remember the succulent black hole that was the server change)

There have been numerous threads about the quality of OotS; the duties of an artist to his crowd; the lack of game design; etc. Erfworld isn't special to criticism.

Erfworld has been here how long? I frankly would like to read a great comic when it's through, but I'm agreeing with the "right format" thread. Erfworld just feels like terribly slow flip-book: yeah, i may be entertained when the stick figure scales the wall and does a backflip, but that comes after 20 odd 'frames' of mechanical motion(which is me referring to the dialogue and writing, of which i'm definitely not a fan). The art is beautiful, but really only eye-candy to me so far.

In conclusion, I use the language of the first response: The people who don't think it's as good as oots are overrating it. :smallbiggrin:

(ps. don't bother refuting me: i matter to you as much as you do to me)

Maurog
2007-01-11, 05:52 AM
cat: does anyone else feel dog food is kinda overrated. I mean it's ok but it doesent seem that high quelity.
dog: what? dog food is the best thing since sliced bread fire hydrants! i think cat food is kinda bland in comparison.
cat: how dare you come to cat food forums and bash cat food? seriously, i don't "get" dog food at all. And why is it bone-shaped, everyone knows food should be fish-shaped.
dog: well, nobody asks you to eat it if you don't want to... and i like it bone-shaped!

AngryGreek
2007-01-11, 09:04 AM
cat: does anyone else feel dog food is kinda overrated. I mean it's ok but it doesent seem that high quelity.
dog: what? dog food is the best thing since sliced bread fire hydrants! i think cat food is kinda bland in comparison.
cat: how dare you come to cat food forums and bash cat food? seriously, i don't "get" dog food at all. And why is it bone-shaped, everyone knows food should be fish-shaped.
dog: well, nobody asks you to eat it if you don't want to... and i like it bone-shaped!

Ahahaa, gotta love that subtle humour (look hard, first line, you'll see it).

I don't really get the point of this thread to be honest. I do agree that the comic can hardly be considered overrated due to the constant barrage from people who are less than thrilled with it (myself included). I honestly can't tell if it is a thread to show that the original poster doesn't like ERF, or if he likes it, but thinks that maybe it's not as good as some people think it is. I really don't know.

WampaX
2007-01-11, 10:46 AM
No. You aren't looking hard enough Half the boards disappeared. (it's really annoying when i remember a great thread, only to remember the succulent black hole that was the server change)

Its all still there (except for the gaming threads that were lost BEFORE the board upgrade), your strike through sentence is correct.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-01-11, 05:45 PM
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. I know this is an open forum, thus anyone can voice their opinion, but I am getting really annoyed. People who are complaining? Once you start paying the author, you can start bitching about the direction the comic is taking. Until then, either stop complaining about how bad you think it is, or leave. I would advise the second option, because there seems to be very little self control spread among you.

Pentegarn
2007-01-11, 07:26 PM
Hmmm, I am still on the fence. I am glad to see new comic ideas getting ran. The pacing is unusual though, not necessarily in a bad way, but it does cause me to wonder at times what exactly is going on. All that said, I get the feeling there is some sort of grand underlying punchline to the whole thing, and I am intrigued by that. Nonetheless, it is too soon to tell. To be honest, I won't have any sort of solid opinion until at I have seen at least 100 installments, possibly more. If you look at some of the other successful comics out there, you'll notice they all have a fine wine factor. That is, the quality of a comic series gets better as time passes. Hence, I am forced to think I won't see what the real meat and potatoes of Erfworld is until it has had time to get a running start.

You can't throw words like overrated around to any fledgling endeavor though. Best to wait and see where it is going before any real judgments can be passed.

EDIT: Go me, I typed underrated instead of overrated. Fixed now.

TRat
2007-01-12, 12:23 AM
My feeling is that the comic is doing a lot of things at once. It's a satire/parody of a lot of different things: Politics (warmonger Lord Stanley looks a heck of a lot like Bush), gaming/nerd culture (characters speak about how many turns they have, IMing via books). And some character-based jokes/fun/series of puns/look into Parsons' mind (cf marbits, giant Peeps warriors)

It also appears to have a very complicated well-worked out world and a plot, which I suspect will advance (as opposed to being just a framework for Orly jokes!). In other words, I agree that it needs to be given a chance and that different people are going to get different things out of it.

Grogah
2007-01-12, 01:02 AM
does anyone else feel erfworld is kinda overrated. I mean it's ok but it doesent seem that high quelity.

Look, if you don't like Erfworld and can't comment constructively, take a hike. Starting a thread just to be negative is unproductive. Now if you had constructive criticism, that would be different, perhaps offer how they might do things better.

For instance, I don't find your comment to be helpful. Instead of just saying that, I've mentioned why. Additionally I'll mention that if you are going to criticize quality, you may want to check the spelling of quality.

For the authors/artists of the comic, keep up the good work. You have a loyal and growing base of fans.

AngryGreek
2007-01-12, 02:26 AM
Look, if you don't like Erfworld and can't comment constructively, take a hike. Starting a thread just to be negative is unproductive. Now if you had constructive criticism, that would be different, perhaps offer how they might do things better.

For instance, I don't find your comment to be helpful. Instead of just saying that, I've mentioned why. Additionally I'll mention that if you are going to criticize quality, you may want to check the spelling of quality.

For the authors/artists of the comic, keep up the good work. You have a loyal and growing base of fans.

sigh, not to pick nits, but I don't see the productivity in your post, despite explaining to the original poster why you disagree with him. Also, by insulting his spelling, are you not skirting the perimeters of board violations? Perhaps even toeing the line? There's not a whole lot of naysayers out here, and you seem to really like the comic, so how on earth is it that you seem so threatened by them (us? although my negativity is rapidly dwindling). Why is it not enough to praise the authors and artists, why must you also criticize the critics?

Grogah
2007-01-12, 02:49 AM
sigh, not to pick nits, but I don't see the productivity in your post, despite explaining to the original poster why you disagree with him. Also, by insulting his spelling, are you not skirting the perimeters of board violations? Perhaps even toeing the line? There's not a whole lot of naysayers out here, and you seem to really like the comic, so how on earth is it that you seem so threatened by them (us? although my negativity is rapidly dwindling). Why is it not enough to praise the authors and artists, why must you also criticize the critics?

I offered constructive criticism on how to better critique the comic in the future. Saying "this sucks" isn't helpful, you need to explain why. I pointed out exactly what I didn't like about his comment, so yes, it was constructive.

Yes, I like the comic. I don't feel threatened by people unconstructively criticizing, but I care about the feelings of the authors and artists of our comics (both OOTS and Erfworld), and it really makes me sad to see people tear them down with purely negative comments. These are real people we're talking about, please show them some respect. If you don't like it, either offer a considerate and constructive comment, or don't comment at all.

Sure, Erfworld isn't perfect. The last three panels of page 8 really confused me for a while, it could have been better explained. But I refuse to post "THIS SUX0RZ!!!111oneone". If I have a comment that is a critique, I'll post it constructively and point out that perhaps the scene could have been done in a less confusing manner as it is unclear what the object in the foreground even is (the tent) from the context.

I feel the need to ask people to remember the feelings of Erfworld's creators because I know if I were in their shoes it is what I would want. Being ragged on unconstructively just tears a person down for no good reason and doesn't help them to examine possible faults, it just makes people feel bad.

zeratul
2007-01-12, 07:23 AM
hey you guys i want to delete this thread. how can i do that?

Xaspian
2007-01-12, 07:38 AM
I don't know that you can.

You might be able to delete your bits, or perhaps you could ask a moderator to do something?

Blinkbear
2007-01-12, 08:05 AM
You can't delete a thread, you can only delete posts. You can ask a mod to close the thread.

pclips
2007-01-12, 09:07 AM
hey you guys i want to delete this thread. how can i do that?

Voice of mod: Thread locked by request of orignal poster