PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Feat Progression for a DMM: Persist Cleric

Safety Sword
2013-11-09, 04:05 AM
Hi Playgrounders,

I'm going to be playing a cleric in an upcoming D&D 3.5 Campaign and I've decided to go DMM: Persist and be the primary buffer for the party.

I have access to all Completes and Forgotten Realms Sources.

Just wondering if anyone can show me the recommended feat progression starting from Level 1 (Human too). I could probably get Persist and DMM Persist at level 1 but not have enough turn attempts to persist a level 1 spell, so that might make Extra Turning mandatory?

I have the Planning Domain (Cleric of Helm), so Extend spell is a freebie.

Thanks!

Ortesk
2013-11-09, 04:21 AM
Hi Playgrounders,

I'm going to be playing a cleric in an upcoming D&D 3.5 Campaign and I've decided to go DMM: Persist and be the primary buffer for the party.

I have access to all Completes and Forgotten Realms Sources.

Just wondering if anyone can show me the recommended feat progression starting from Level 1 (Human too). I could probably get Persist and DMM Persist at level 1 but not have enough turn attempts to persist a level 1 spell, so that might make Extra Turning mandatory?

I have the Planning Domain (Cleric of Helm), so Extend spell is a freebie.

Thanks!

Take the domain that grants Extra turning as a freebie

1) Divine Metamagic
H) Persist Spell
3) Selective Spell
6) Extra Turning
9) Endurance
12) Diehard
15) Craft Contingent Tattoo
18) Skill Focus: Lolz

You wanta perist the one spell (Drawing a blank, will check in a minute) that lets you not die at negative 10 (Diehard means for 24 hours HP is nothing to you)

Persist Selective AMF on yourself, select you to not be affected

Craft a contigent Revivify/Heal, your group will think your jesus

Andezzar
2013-11-09, 05:34 AM
Take the domain that grants Extra turning as a freebieA cleric of a deity cannot freely choose his domains. Helm has no domain that grant Extra Turning.

You cannot take DMM:Persist before you took Persistent Spell:
When you take this feat, choose a metamagic feat that you have. This feat applies only to that metamagic feat.

I never heard of Craft Contingent Tattoo. Where is theat feat?

Die Hard at level 12? That feat loses its luster pretty early. At level 12 and beyond almost everyone will do more than 10 damage, so the feat will not help much.

If you want to go Clericzilla, Power Attack, probably is a good ideal, If you can stomach being exalted good (or the DM removes that requirement) take Intuitive Attack.

Ortesk
2013-11-09, 05:41 AM
A cleric of a deity cannot freely choose his domains. Helm has no domain that grant Extra Turning.

You cannot take DMM:Persist before you took Persistent Spell:

I never heard of Craft Contingent Tattoo. Where is theat feat?

Die Hard at level 12? That feat loses its luster pretty early. At level 12 and beyond almost everyone will do more than 10 damage, so the feat will not help much.

If you want to go Clericzilla, Power Attack, probably is a good ideal, If you can stomach being exalted good (or the DM removes that requirement) take Intuitive Attack.

He can choose to have no deity and call it a day then

Craft contigent tattoo is CA, its considered broken but meh

The diehard was for persistant Delay Death, though beastland ferocity will work as well. Tht two combined means you can do partial actions when at any negatives, sure not full rounds but you can stand long enough for the persistant vigor to save your bacon

Diarmuid
2013-11-09, 07:49 AM
Playing in FR clerics cannot choose to not have deities.

Andezzar
2013-11-09, 07:59 AM
Craft contigent tattoo is CA, its considered broken but mehI can find no such feat in Complete Arcane. Got a page number?

The diehard was for persistant Delay Death, though beastland ferocity will work as well. Tht two combined means you can do partial actions when at any negatives, sure not full rounds but you can stand long enough for the persistant vigor to save your baconThere are no partial actions in 3.5. Beastland Ferocity lets you fight normally between 0 and -9 HP, whatever that means. Does fighting include movement, spellcasting, talking?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-09, 10:13 AM
I can find no such feat in Complete Arcane. Got a page number?
Do we mean Craft Contingent Spell, perhaps?

There are no partial actions in 3.5. Beastland Ferocity lets you fight normally between 0 and -9 HP, whatever that means. Does fighting include movement, spellcasting, talking?
I imagine so, yeah.

Hamste
2013-11-09, 10:43 AM
Wouldn't beastland ferocity kill you if you are reduced to exactly negative 10 hit points? It specifically calls out that you die normally if reduced to negative 10 which should over ride delay death. Of course the chances of you hitting exactly negative ten are low but it seems a needless to risk to just get the ability to move normally.

Also Beastland Ferocity is whenever you are disabled or dying you can fight normally not just at -1 to -9. It does however also give a bonus when you are at -1 to -9.

Andezzar
2013-11-09, 11:20 AM
Wouldn't beastland ferocity kill you if you are reduced to exactly negative 10 hit points? It specifically calls out that you die normally if reduced to negative 10 which should over ride delay death. Of course the chances of you hitting exactly negative ten are low but it seems a needless to risk to just get the ability to move normally.No, there is no rule which spell takes precedence. So at exactly -10 HP the character is both dying and dead.

Also Beastland Ferocity is whenever you are disabled or dying you can fight normally not just at -1 to -9. It does however also give a bonus when you are at -1 to -9.Technically you are right, but without any other ability you are disabled or dying between 0 and -9 HP. With delay death this is expanded to 0 to any negative amount of HP.

Hamste
2013-11-09, 11:39 AM
Delay death just stops death from hit point damage. It can be argued that Beastland Ferocity is not doing damage it just sets a specific scenario that you die in and therefore it is not protected by Delay Death because you are not dying from hit point damage but from having a specific amount of hit points which kills. Then again it can be also argued that you do die from it but only if you are healed up to negative 10 and damaged to it.

Oko and Qailee
2013-11-09, 11:43 AM
I also recommend Initiate of Mystra - Get some nice spells(Holy Star FTW!) and you can cast inside AMF's

Diarmuid
2013-11-09, 07:43 PM
I also recommend Initiate of Mystra - Get some nice spells(Holy Star FTW!) and you can cast inside AMF's

The OP mentioned he's got Helm as a deity. That makes initiate of mystra unavailable.

Irk
2013-11-09, 08:28 PM
Go the 'twice betrayer of shar' route
grab DMM, persist, ocular spell, and reach spell

also, nightsticks. might've been mentioned

or, you could get multiple turning pools, such as dragons, undead, and then animals or plants or something.

Safety Sword
2013-11-09, 08:35 PM
OK, so I have to take Persist before DMM: Persist because the errata for CD says so.

So it looks like my First level feats should be extra turning and Persist Spell (which is going to be a dead feat until I get DMM: Persist at 3rd Level).

Also can't extend any spells because of the level increase... so many dead feats until it all gets rolling... in the mean time I have more turn attempts.. yay..

This was more fun when it was an idea :smalltongue:

Still, it's Cleric, it's hard to go too far wrong.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-09, 11:04 PM
You'll need Extend Spell to qualify for Persist, although you can pick up either Extend or Extra Turning via domains-- (Planning and Undeath, respectively). Or if you can take a flaw, you can hit all three at first.

Safety Sword
2013-11-10, 05:12 AM
You'll need Extend Spell to qualify for Persist, although you can pick up either Extend or Extra Turning via domains-- (Planning and Undeath, respectively). Or if you can take a flaw, you can hit all three at first.

As I said above, I have the planning Domain, so I have Extend Spell.

It just seems to me that most of the feats I'm going to have will be useless until I have enough turn attempts, and that means spending more feats...

Andezzar
2013-11-10, 05:59 AM
It just seems to me that most of the feats I'm going to have will be useless until I have enough turn attempts, and that means spending more feats...It depends on whether you take flaws as stated above.
1:persistent spell
Human:DMM persist
Flaw1: Extra Turning
Flaw 2: Extra turning

Even without a positive charisma modifier, this gives you 11 turn attempts, so one persistent spell, with a charisma of 16 you would have 14 attempts for two persisted spells.

As soon as you can afford them, buy nightsticks. 1.75 sticks give you another persisted spell.

Safety Sword
2013-11-10, 07:41 PM
It depends on whether you take flaws as stated above.
1:persistent spell
Human:DMM persist
Flaw1: Extra Turning
Flaw 2: Extra turning

Even without a positive charisma modifier, this gives you 11 turn attempts, so one persistent spell, with a charisma of 16 you would have 14 attempts for two persisted spells.

As soon as you can afford them, buy nightsticks. 1.75 sticks give you another persisted spell.

I doubt Flaws or Nightsticks will appear in this campaign. It's a nice thought, but I think DMM might be a bridge too far for this campaign.

Craft (Cheese)
2013-11-10, 09:27 PM
So you won't be able to make the most out of Persist until level 3. Big deal! You're still a cleric, even with some dead feats.

Safety Sword
2013-11-11, 04:51 PM
So you won't be able to make the most out of Persist until level 3. Big deal! You're still a cleric, even with some dead feats.

All true. I'm still going to float the concept with my DM and see if all is well.