PDA

View Full Version : What game should I get?

Dr._Weird
2007-01-08, 07:20 PM
As of Christmas, several people have given that wonderful gift of money, so I now have the fundsto buy a few games. The thing is, I haven' gotten any games for a while, so there are a lot I haven't played.

I have a PS2, an Xbox 360, and an Alienware computer that can probably handle any game you suggest.

I'm a big fan of the FF series, and have every one of them available for the PS2 (4-12, excluding 11). I also heart love Oblivion, so any similar games would be good.

I also like RTS games, and have Starcraft(Also Brood War), Warcraft II, Warcraft III (Not Frozen Throne), and Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War: Dark Crusade: The ridiculously long title. Aaaaaaaand Empire Earth.

I already have Call of Duty 2, and don't need another WWII game to be the exact same. One is enough.

I have Halo 2, Half Life, Oblivion, Neverwinter Nights and a few other games that I can't think of right now.

So, what are the latest games you suggest?

zeratul
2007-01-08, 07:21 PM
get dirge of cerberous if you like final fantasy its underrated and i like it alot

Dr._Weird
2007-01-08, 07:23 PM
I've been thinking about that, seeing as FF7 is the best of the lot (Please don't hit me with the fanboy stick).

zeratul
2007-01-08, 07:28 PM
no i agree final fantasy 7 is the best one hands down

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-01-08, 07:31 PM
I got NWN 2 for Christmas. Honestly, it is kinda choppy, but it's not that tough to acclimate yourself to it once you play for a bit. The engine isn't quite as good as the original NWN (If you don't have that yet, I suggest that then). But the graphics are absolutely amazing, and it has a very good story. There's also a lot of features that the original doesn't have like item creation for the main game, and you have a 4 person party and not a pair. So that's what I recommend.

zeratul
2007-01-08, 07:34 PM
oh and marvel ultimate alliance is great (thor rocks!!!)

NEO|Phyte
2007-01-08, 09:55 PM
You have Half-Life listed, but not the sequel.

I suggest you go for the sequel, if for nothing else than the mods that are and will be out for it.

zeratul
2007-01-08, 10:01 PM
oh and you should start playing either jack and daxter or rachet and clank both are fun

Fale
2007-01-08, 10:19 PM
You have Half-Life listed, but not the sequel.

I suggest you go for the sequel, if for nothing else than the mods that are and will be out for it.

I agree. The sequel was great. I would recommend that over the lot, followed closely by FF7.

zeratul
2007-01-08, 10:32 PM
Oh and Buy the LOTR games they are pretty good

JabberwockySupafly
2007-01-08, 11:50 PM
Hi,

Insanely hard-core geek gamer here (as in I own a PC, a PS2, a Wii, a 360, a PSP, a DS, and a laptop...i am not bragging I am simply explaining that next to my wife, gaming is indeed my passion.) I could suggest countless games, but ultimately, it depends on what you are looking for.

For FPS: I suggest F.E.A.R. for some of the best single-player shooting action in terms of great A.I. and pants-soiling oh-my-god-i'm-going-to-have-a-heart-attack-jump-out-of-my-seat scary. Half-Life 2 is heaps fun too.

RTS: Well, you've pretty much named all of the ones i'd suggest.

RPGs (PC): Well, NWN2 is great if you can look past the massive number of game-killing bugs. Slowly but surely this will get fixed and I always suggest to my friends to wait to get this until the bugs get worked out.
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines is fantastic if you can find it. I suggest getting the fan-made patch as it improves a lot of the game.

RPGS(PS2): Wow, so many choices. If you like FF, you'd probably like DragonQuest 8 as it's made by Square-Enix and DQ is bigger than FF in Japan. It's a killer game but the difficulty level gets steep fast. A TRUE RPG Challenge worth every minute of sweat put into it.
Shadow Hearts: From The New World is a great RPG as well, but Shadow Hearts is an acquired taste to be honest.

RPGS(360): You already have Oblivion...

Since I'm at work I can't rummage through my game collection right now, but when I get home tonight (I live in Australia, weird time difference here) I can always make more suggestions. But again, it depends on your tastes.

Dr._Weird
2007-01-08, 11:59 PM
oh and you should start playing either jack and daxter or rachet and clank both are fun

I didn't list all my games, just ones that I've been enjoying a lot lately. I have all 3 Jak games, and have beat them. Thanks for the suggestions, people. It'll help me greatly in deciding.

JabberwockySupafly
2007-01-09, 07:46 AM
Well, like I said, i'm at home now and can suggest away! Also, I can't sleep so I had to find something to do with my times and since my Wii is in the bedroom.. wife sleeping = instant death if I turn on the TV. I could make a dirty joke about the word Wii, the bedroom and my wife, but well, even I have better taste than that, and I like Happy Tree Friends & Friends.

One major suggestion I can make: You like Square RPGs? IE Final Fantasy, Secret of Mana, etc? Get a DS. Get the new remake of FF3 it's brilliant. I love my copy to death. If that's way over your budget, then I can suggest other games as well. the Shin Megami Tensei titles are big-time fun, if you can find them. There are species of dinosaur you will see treading the earth more often than you will find copies of these games.

If you like strategies and rpgs, like Final Fantasy Tactics, for instance, try out Disgaea: Hour of Darkness for some Turn-Based RPG Tactics yumminess and life-sucking absorbiness. I sunk an easy 100 hours into it without realising it. There's a sequel but I cannot comment as I have yet to own a copy. Living in Australia and having a US PS2 has definite drawbacks, like having to order all your games over Ebay...

Other good PS2 RPG titles... the Suikoden series barring 4 which was exceedingly boring at times. Kingdom Hearts. Any of the Shadow Hearts games (I already mentioned From The New World). .Hack if you haven't already, ummm... Wild Arms 4 is a bit of alright... hmmm.. my collection on the PS2 is mainly RPGs. Other games I really can't talk about. Except Katamari Damacy :)

Heroes of Might & Magic V for the PC is positively brilliant. it's like the previous "HOMM" games, a turn-based Strategy game with fantasy and RPG elements, but it's stream-lined and one of the most enjoyable games out there if you like TBS games. Imagine something close to WC3 but Turn-Based and the heroes are far more important in the game.

Well, I hope i have given you some kind of choice. Ultimately the only thing I can suggest is go to different gaming sites like Gamefaqs and the like. Choose the platform and the genre and read some reviews. I usually suggest Reader reviews because the ones from actual site employees can be really biased. From there, make a decision based on the information you've accumulated. Generally that is what I do.... Well, I'm done being a game-geek to the extreme for now, better try to sleep before I hear the ominous "Honey... why aren't you in bed?" that precedes hours of me shrieking in fear.

Cheers
JS

Om
2007-01-09, 07:55 AM
Get a thinking man's game and indulge in some grand strategy. Europa Universalis III is out in less than a month.