PDA

View Full Version : StP Spell to Power conversion costs

JW86
2013-11-09, 06:42 AM
Hello,

I just want to confirm that I have the XP costs for learning certain spells worked out correctly.

8 1st level spells would be 20 x 8 x 3 = 480xp.
5 2nd level spells would be 20 x 5 x 5 = 500xp.
4 3rd level spells would be 20 x 4 x 7 = 560xp
4 4th level spells would be 20 x 4 x 9 = 720xp.
4 5th level spells would be 20 x 4 x 11 = 880xp
3 6th level spells would be 20 x 3 x 13 = 780xp.

Or does it begin like:

8 1st level spells would be 20 x 8 x 1 = 160xp
5 2nd level spells would be 20 x 5 x 3 = 300xp

etc.

Is that correct? I am at work and don't have sourcebook to hand.

Another question - is there any agreed formula for introducing a Level X erudite into a campaign.

I am introducing a level 15 erudite who will have an Erudite ML 13. Is it reasonable to ask for say, 5k added experience to burn on learning, considering other PCs are level 17-21? Or shall I start level 14, using the level 14-15 XP as burnable for learning?

Any rule on this, or is this DM fiat?

Many thanks,

Muggins
2013-11-09, 07:14 AM
The experience cost for learning extra powers scales according to your Erudite level, not the level of the power or spell.

XP Cost: To permanently learn a new power that is not one of the powers he learns when automatically gaining a level, he must expend 20 experience points per erudite level, which are deducted from the character at the end of the meditation.
Emphasis mine. The rules for converting a spell into a learned power use the same mechanics.

Interestingly, this means that a multiclassed Erudite (say, an Erudite 10/Slayer 10) can raise their manifester level without raising the experience costs for learning additional powers. If your DM rules that prestige classes aren't considered "psionic classes," you could even get away with 5 levels of erudite, reducing the cost to a mere 100 experience!

Edit: In terms of the experience cost, your first set of calculations are correct. Your best bet is to ask your DM whether you can get a free chunk of experience for learning extra spells and powers, calculating the cost of each power as though you were the lowest-level Erudite possible.

JW86
2013-11-09, 08:15 AM
Ah, so even a 1st level spell converted when at Level 20 would cost 400xp.

Thanks for pointing out that hacks RAW interpretation!! My character will be Ranger 1 / Erudite 6 / Slayer 9 / Sancitifed/Anarchic X

So even an 6th level spell converted at Level 6 would cost 120xp by that RAW, or if we take the ML instead of Erudite level, Erudite6/Slayer9 would be 280xp.

I prefer the former :smallcool:

Muggins
2013-11-09, 10:41 AM
Ah, so even a 1st level spell converted when at Level 20 would cost 400xp.
On a straight Erudite, yes.

My character will be Ranger 1 / Erudite 6 / Slayer 9 / Sancitifed/Anarchic X
Why Ranger? Track is a feat with no prerequisites, and a plain Erudite can easily achieve the 4 ranks in Knowledge: Dungeoneering needed for Slayer. Are you getting something from it that I'm not seeing?

Furthermore, multiclassing that much on an Erudite is bad news, as you'll lose your ability to learn those cool discipline-specific powers and spells which you can't otherwise gain access to.

If a character with erudite levels gains at least as many levels in another psionic class as he has in his erudite class, her permanently loses the ability to add additional powers (above and beyond the two gained at each new erudite level) to his repertoire of powers known.

JW86
2013-11-09, 11:17 AM
Ah - because I have not looked at Erudite in enough detail yet, d'oh. I was originally working with a standard psion that does not have knowl. dungeoneering as a class skill. Sweet. No more Ranger needed, then.

I had forgotten the rules about multiclassing there. Maybe Erudite 11/Slayer 9, then. Or Eru 8/Slayer 7/Sanctified/Anarchic 5... or something similar.

Oh, this gets more complex every time. I was originally going to go Ranger/Psion/Slayer, lol.

Muggins
2013-11-09, 11:38 AM
A straight Erudite 10/Slayer 10 is quite possible; just take the 10th level of Erudite at level 20. After level 18 (i.e. Manifester Level 17, when you gain access to 9th level powers) you won't have anything left to learn, so there's no real point in trying to keep that ability.

Also, Psions get all knowledges as class skills, as do Erudites. :smallwink:

JW86
2013-11-09, 01:19 PM
Derp - of course they do.

You've been very helpful, Muggins.

My DM said a few days ago in response to StP Erudite "Yeah that's fine.."
Then messages me tonight, at work, saying, "What's the mechanic? Where is the Erudite?" :smallfurious::smallfurious:

Might give me a little time to get clearer on it. Although up to 11UPPD is quite limiting anyway, maybe a Psion/Slayer would be easier!