PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions: Prestige and sun gods, and two patrons

Xuldarinar
2013-11-09, 08:51 AM
Two separate questions all together, but both relating to deities in D&D.

1. What prestige classes are associated with sun deities, demigods, ect. in D&D?

2. Is there a way one could have two patron deities? How would this effect classes such as clerics?

Karnith
2013-11-09, 09:03 AM
1. What prestige classes are associated with sun deities, demigods, ect. in D&D?
Radiant Servant of Pelor (Complete Divine, pp. 52-53), Eye of Horus-Re (PGtF, pp. 54-56) and Morninglord of Lathander (PGtF, pp. 66-68) are a few that I know of. Master of Radiance (Libris Mortis, pp. 44-46) is not necessarily associated with sun gods, as it's apparently supposed to be a Druid PrC, but is frequently entered by Clerics of sun gods.

Big Fau
2013-11-09, 09:23 AM
For your second question, only Eberron has rules for worshipping more than one deity (in Eberron it is possible to worship one of two pantheons). The mechanics for it are simple in that you still pick a single deity to grant you domains, but a PrC allows you to gain domains from the entire pantheon.

It makes no sense at all that it took them until Eberron to give Clerics a way to worship more than one deity, as most settings are polytheistic by default.

Clistenes
2013-11-09, 09:29 AM
2. Is there a way one could have two patron deities? How would this effect classes such as clerics?

That depends on the setting:

Planescape and Eberron clerics can worship a whole pantheon.

In Faerun only Mary-Sueish NPC characters can have two patron gods.

In Dragonlance you can only have a patron god, as far as I know.

In Greyhawk you can be a cleric of an alignment or philosophy, so you can be a Cleric of Good and claim that all good deities are your patrons (they probably won't regard you as one of your clerics, but you will be able to cherry-pick your domains).

PraxisVetli
2013-11-09, 10:25 AM
What if they're coinciding gods? Gods that frequently work together, possibly have the same alignment?

Yuki Akuma
2013-11-09, 10:54 AM
It makes no sense at all that it took them until Eberron to give Clerics a way to worship more than one deity, as most settings are polytheistic by default.

Even in many real-world polytheistic religions, a priest might only be officially a priest of one god.

Also, many earlier religions recognised other gods but thought that theirs were better, which could be how D&D settings work.

Xuldarinar
2013-11-09, 11:09 AM
Thank you all for the responses thus far.

What if they're coinciding gods? Gods that frequently work together, possibly have the same alignment?

Honestly, how i'd play it is as follows:

A cleric could choose two deities. But if they did they would have to meet all the requirements for being a cleric, for each of them. Therefore they must follow the dogma for each, and have an alignment within one step of both. A cleric of Pelor and Wee Jas, for instance, would have to be lawful good. In terms of domains, i'd say they would either have to select only shared domains, which would narrow options down significantly, or say they had to pick one from each.