PDA

View Full Version : [PF]A ranged alternative for the Magus Counterstrike ability

Red Bear
2013-11-09, 12:30 PM
I am making a ranged archetype for the magus, but I can't think of a ranged ability that could replace counterstrike. Can you give me some ideas?

Ilorin Lorati
2013-11-09, 01:32 PM
I made an archer archetype for the Magus a long while ago, this is what I ended up using for that slot:

Countershot (Ex)
At 16th level, whenever a character within one range increment of a ranged weapon that the arcane archer is wielding casts a spell, the arcane archer can make a free attack against the caster with that ranged weapon. This free attack functions as an attack of opportunity (and counts against the number of attacks of opportunity that the arcane archer can make in a round), except that it can only be used once per round. This attack cannot disrupt the spell. Characters who successfully cast defensively do not trigger this ability, unless the arcane archer is threatening the caster with his ranged weapon (such as through the Snap Shot feat).

This ability replaces the Counterstrike class feature.

Red Bear
2013-11-09, 04:52 PM
I made an archer archetype for the Magus a long while ago, .

I would love to see it. Can I?

Countershot (Ex)
At 16th level, whenever a character within one range increment of a ranged weapon that the arcane archer is wielding casts a spell, the arcane archer can make a free attack against the caster with that ranged weapon. This free attack functions as an attack of opportunity (and counts against the number of attacks of opportunity that the arcane archer can make in a round), except that it can only be used once per round. This attack cannot disrupt the spell. Characters who successfully cast defensively do not trigger this ability, unless the arcane archer is threatening the caster with his ranged weapon (such as through the Snap Shot feat).

This ability replaces the Counterstrike class feature.

this is not bad. Thank you for your answer.

Ilorin Lorati
2013-11-09, 08:51 PM
The link to the archetype is here ( https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RVGhlNUUpwM0IOQMMiEAjzm40h3qKQvQXpljL6PWwU4/edit?usp=sharing ), as requested.

It actually pulls a bit from an archetype made by a redditor named steeldraco and some from another I've long since forgotten, so I can't take all the blame for it. As a whole though, it's a straight forward combination of Arcane Archer and magus.

Red Bear
2013-11-10, 07:24 AM
The link to the archetype is here ( https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RVGhlNUUpwM0IOQMMiEAjzm40h3qKQvQXpljL6PWwU4/edit?usp=sharing ), as requested.

It actually pulls a bit from an archetype made by a redditor named steeldraco and some from another I've long since forgotten, so I can't take all the blame for it. As a whole though, it's a straight forward combination of Arcane Archer and magus.

Wow, this is very similar to what I made but slighty better, thank you very much. It's very helpful.

Ilorin Lorati
2013-11-10, 03:25 PM
Always happy to help. You're welcome to take it and use or change whatever you want.