PDA

View Full Version : Bardic Music, not so musical?

GC_Southpaw
2013-11-09, 01:04 PM
Okay, so I'm starting a nice little politically charged campaign. In it, there's an NPC Bard. His idea of bardic music is the retelling of ancient legends and what have you. Now, I guess this would be systemically equivalent to perform (sing) but that's only because I'm unaware of anything that could make this all the more cheesier. I really don't know. Being the DM, I could just houserule the thing but I'm always interested on other DM's takes on the situation.

Naomi Li
2013-11-09, 01:07 PM
That would fall under Perform (Oratory). If you were playing Pathfinder this would indeed have some decently notable mechanical effects, but as far as I am aware this would only change things from a fluff perspective in 3.5.

Flickerdart
2013-11-09, 01:07 PM
Perform (Oratory) is a thing. So is Perform (Weapon Drill) which is definitely non-musical.

GC_Southpaw
2013-11-09, 01:14 PM
Oh, really? Guess I'm not in the red then. Thanks guys.

Coidzor
2013-11-09, 01:18 PM
Perform (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/perform.htm)

Like Craft, Knowledge, and Profession, Perform is actually a number of separate skills.

You could have several Perform skills, each with its own ranks, each purchased as a separate skill.

Each of the nine categories of the Perform skill includes a variety of methods, instruments, or techniques, a small list of which is provided for each category below.

Act (comedy, drama, mime)
Comedy (buffoonery, limericks, joke-telling)
Dance (ballet, waltz, jig)
Keyboard instruments (harpsichord, piano, pipe organ)
Oratory (epic, ode, storytelling)
Percussion instruments (bells, chimes, drums, gong)
String instruments (fiddle, harp, lute, mandolin)
Wind instruments (flute, pan pipes, recorder, shawm, trumpet)
Sing (ballad, chant, melody)

And that's just the core options, though IIRC, Weapon Drill is special and can't be used with Bardic Music explicitly.

One thing PF did that was fairly good(ish) was clarifying that any kind of perform would work by renaming the term Bardic Performance.

Vortalism
2013-11-10, 05:54 AM
Just a little historical fast fact, in the past the main form of literature was the poem and the way it was performed was very much like singing (or actually just singing). So I think that the idea you're presenting is totally fine and historically accurate.

Sir Chuckles
2013-11-10, 08:02 AM
Do remember that the only specific perform labeled as not being applicable to the Bardic...songs... is Weapon Drill. Perform (18th Century Chinese Tea Ceremony) is, therefore, technically allowed for things like Inspire Courage.

Dumbledore lives
2013-11-10, 08:04 AM
I personally prefer Perform (Mime) to set my allies weapons on fire, but to each his own.

limejuicepowder
2013-11-10, 08:53 AM
How does one go about banging a gong in such a way that it displays musical skill....? I was under the impression that the gong was an instrument that pretty much everyone has mastered.

Radar
2013-11-10, 09:36 AM
How does one go about banging a gong in such a way that it displays musical skill....? I was under the impression that the gong was an instrument that pretty much everyone has mastered.
Think again. :smalltongue:
As with any percussion instrument it takes a lot of skill to create a variety of sounds. Depending on the place and the way you strike the gong, it will sound differently and the vibrations persist for quite a while, so you are able to mix a lot of different tones, build up and shape the resulting sound. Plus, it's rarely about banging it with full force.

I never played a gong in my life, but it's quite easy to find interesting musical examples on the net.

Vaz
2013-11-10, 10:14 AM
I personally prefer Perform (Mime) to set my allies weapons on fire, but to each his own.

But then they use them on you. Plus, some require you to be heard, so no luck there.

Slipperychicken
2013-11-10, 11:07 AM

Probably something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT7ArdXqf7E).

As a musician who has worked with percussionists, I can tell you that any percussion instrument takes far more skill than it seems. Usually a percussionist will utilize a number of different instruments in the same piece of music (i.e. he'll have a gong, triangle, snare drum, maracas, and cowbell all on the table for when he needs them, as appropriate to he piece's requirements).

There's a lot more to it than simply banging a gong. The guys who do this stuff for a living spend hours every day perfecting their rhythm, dynamics (what the layman would call "volume"), tone, counting, technique (yes there are many different ways to use a percussion instrument), and other skills necessary to be a competent musician. That's why they're paid the big bucks.

Anyone can slam a gong or strike a drum, but not everyone has trained the skills and nuance to create a successful performance. Try going onstage at a concert hall and, without preparation or practice, entertaining a paying crowd with your untrained gong "mastery". I assure you it isn't as easy as it looks.

limejuicepowder
2013-11-10, 11:57 AM
Probably something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT7ArdXqf7E).

As a musician who has worked with percussionists, I can tell you that any percussion instrument takes far more skill than it seems. Usually a percussionist will utilize a number of different instruments in the same piece of music (i.e. he'll have a gong, triangle, snare drum, maracas, and cowbell all on the table for when he needs them, as appropriate to he piece's requirements).

There's a lot more to it than simply banging a gong. The guys who do this stuff for a living spend hours every day perfecting their rhythm, dynamics (what the layman would call "volume"), tone, counting, technique (yes there are many different ways to use a percussion instrument), and other skills necessary to be a competent musician. That's why they're paid the big bucks.

Anyone can slam a gong or strike a drum, but not everyone has trained the skills and nuance to create a successful performance. Try going onstage at a concert hall and, without preparation or practice, entertaining a paying crowd with your untrained gong "mastery". I assure you it isn't as easy as it looks.

Impressive. Still though, that's a multitude of gongs attached to giant stands. In combat, that's about as practical as a full organ with 12 foot pipes.

Really though, it comes down to when I think of someone playing a gong, I think of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvmEP-JWvt4) (skip to 1:15). Not terribly inspiring :)

The Trickster
2013-11-10, 02:52 PM
While the gong may be a great instrument, a bard playing the spoons is clearly the most optimal.

Prime32
2013-11-10, 02:58 PM
Do remember that the only specific perform labeled as not being applicable to the Bardic...songs... is Weapon Drill. Perform (18th Century Chinese Tea Ceremony) is, therefore, technically allowed for things like Inspire Courage.The only reason Weapon Drill has restrictions on how you can use it is because it gets a bonus based on your BAB. I think it was mainly just meant for the "making money" function of Perform.

Coidzor
2013-11-10, 03:10 PM
The only reason Weapon Drill has restrictions on how you can use it is because it gets a bonus based on your BAB. I think it was mainly just meant for the "making money" function of Perform.

Which is too bad, since making your own weapon start bursting into flames and then having the effect transfer to your allies would be a pretty nifty mental image.

Prime32
2013-11-10, 03:13 PM
You could still use Perform (dance) for that. The line between the two can be blurry.

Osiris
2013-11-10, 03:14 PM
You could use perform (head). Just beat a head like a drum. NOTE: may get you in trouble alignment-wise. If you can't do that, then spoons is the way to go. :smallbiggrin:

Deophaun
2013-11-10, 03:50 PM
With most forms of bardic music in 3.5, the only requirements are:

1) Have X ranks in a perform skill
2) Creatures must be able to hear the bard

Note that for many, there is no requirement that the perform skill be used to initiate the effect. If you have 12 ranks in Perform (mime), you can inspire greatness by shouting or banging on an iron pot, and at no point do you have to pretend to be trapped inside an invisible box.

A Tad Insane
2013-11-10, 05:29 PM
The players hand book specifically says you don't need music for Bardic music, and you can recite poetry, odes and stuff like that

lsfreak
2013-11-10, 05:51 PM
You could use perform (head). Just beat a head like a drum.

I'm glad you clarified, because my mind went somewhere else completely.

But technically where my mind went still works for inspiring courage. I am far more amused by this and the accompanying mental images than I should be.

Coidzor
2013-11-10, 06:10 PM
I'm glad you clarified, because my mind went somewhere else completely.

But technically where my mind went still works for inspiring courage. I am far more amused by this and the accompanying mental images than I should be.

Ah, yes. The Pervirtuoso (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9309630&postcount=88).