PDA

View Full Version : Erudite and Divine Spells

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-11-09, 11:12 PM
I was very curious if it was possible for a StP Erudite to learn Divine spells?
I know it can learn Arcane spells which is very broad but I was curious if there was a way, that is not Super Cheesy.

AstralFire
2013-11-09, 11:17 PM
Usually when people talk about StP Erudites with divine spells, they're talking about StP eruidites who've picked those up as arcane spells through somebody with Geomancer levels, Southern Magician or Alternate Spell Source.

Yea. Archivists with Alternate Spell Source or whatever.

according to google

Emperor Tippy
2013-11-09, 11:18 PM
Wyrm Wizard can make any divine spell from any spell list into an arcane spell and thus available for a Spell to Power Erudite to take.

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-11-09, 11:19 PM
So in shortask my DM to throw people at me who have Geomancer levels and so forth?

EugeneVoid
2013-11-09, 11:21 PM
Or Ice Assassin (I think), Gate maybe?
Leadership or Thrallherd work too, but these are cheesy frowned upon.

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-11-09, 11:23 PM
What was the Magic Mantle method? I know someone mentioned it before but I never got it.

Emperor Tippy
2013-11-09, 11:30 PM
So in shortask my DM to throw people at me who have Geomancer levels and so forth?

Gate, Ice Assassin, and Simulacrum, are generally how you just RAW pull out the creature with whatever ability to want to steal for yourself.

My preferred easy method is to just Wish up a scroll of Ice Assassin of Revered Elder Phaereem and then have it Ice Assassin up a Psion that has all spells (both Arcane and Divine) and powers as powers known before having it Psychic Chiguery everything you want onto your Psion and once it has burned its XP down, have the Phaereem make another to do it again. Repeat until you have everything.

Start by using a Scroll of Shapechange to take Zodar form for the initial Wish and you can pull off the whole thing with a total investment of less than 4,000 GP and a few days of work.

AstralFire
2013-11-09, 11:30 PM

You don't even need that, necessarily. Just a friendly Warlock with UMD and Scribe Scroll. Seriously.

Warlocks are Arcane, and thus, they make arcane scrolls.

They can explicitly fake divine spells for purposes of item creation... including scrolls. So a Warlock can make an Arcane scroll of, say, Cure Light Wounds, which you can then learn.

I'm tempted to just plagiarize these posts since he didn't click the thread links in the previous post I did.

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-11-09, 11:40 PM
I know most Divine spells have arcane classes who can cast them for example the Cure spells are on the Bard list, which are arcane and thus an Erudite can learn spells via those scrolls.

The Ice Assassin idea is a good idea... my GM is gonna kill me.. and I am sure he is reading this thread. ^.^

Phelix-Mu
2013-11-09, 11:43 PM
The Ice Assassin idea is a good idea... my GM is gonna kill me.. and I am sure he is reading this thread. ^.^

Many a DM has read ice assassin and felt a the cold hand of campaign dysfunction reach out and clutch at their heart. :smallwink:

UmpteenthDoctor
2013-11-09, 11:44 PM
Oh I am sure. It will have to wait I burnt through my starting funds already. But I will keep it in mind when I am buying Scrolls.

Snowbluff
2013-11-10, 01:14 AM
Many a DM has read ice assassin and felt a the cold hand of campaign dysfunction reach out and clutch at their heart. :smallwink:

Of course they did. It was mine.

I love simulacrum. Reminds me of the first time I played wizard... the game got to go nowhere...

Phelix-Mu
2013-11-10, 12:34 PM
Of course they did. It was mine.

I love simulacrum. Reminds me of the first time I played wizard... the game got to go nowhere...

Oh, me too. In a recent epic campaign where the DM said anything RAW was on the table, I terribly abused simulacra to basically win action economy in mass combat with armies of lesser beings. When your simulacra are 13HD monk/wiz with DM-introduced sniper rifles and high-tech stealth armour, and otherwise kitted to the gills with magic items, they can be pretty effective against even enemies well above their CR.

That, and she was a book-obsessed knowledge freak. Everytime we came upon some recorded source of info, she unleashed the simulacra, and used telepathic bond to centralize all of the info they acquired. Pretty awesome when each simulacra is a supra-genius with a stat array appropriate to a demigod.

Ah, good times. Yeah, kids, beware powers that let spellcasters copy themselves. Badness is sure to follow.

Back on topic, I'm interested to know how many of you know of Tippy's recent improvements on psions (from erudites), and if any of you think it's an interesting way to take the dynamic.

Basically, and I hope I'm getting this right, he basically postulated that psions are better than erudites, because a psion will just buy enough psychic chirurgery to eventually learn all spells/powers from erudites. Then psions start passing the spells among themselves, and eventually erudites are superfluous in the StP area.

What do you all think of that? I'm just fishing for opinions.

EDIT: LoL, sorry, Tippy. I'd forgotten you'd posted in this thread, and hope I haven't misrepresented your bit of optimization. It highly interested me. If I've gotten anything wrong, please set me right.

Rubik
2013-11-10, 01:14 PM
Most true dragons can cast cleric spells and even domain spells as arcane sorcerer spells. There's also a dragon archetype in Eberron that gets druid spells as arcane sorcerer spells, as well. Grabbing one level each of prestige bard/paladin/ranger will give you access to all the spells on those spell lists, assuming you manage to qualify in one way or another.

The Magic Mantle and ten levels of rainbow servant (or three levels of illithid savant) gives you access to all cleric spells.

Three levels of illithid savant can also give a psion the StP erudite's ability to learn spells and powers without any XP cost or limit on UPPD.