PDA

View Full Version : Evil twist to my old character.

ReD_Exorcist
2013-11-10, 02:54 AM
So before I posted a thread asking for some help to play a ranger/rogue better.
Here was the info I gave the first time. Know that everything wasn't exactly correct since my DM keeps the character sheets.
__________________________________________________ _______________
Alright so here is my build
Class: Rogue lvl 3 Ranger lvl 2
Race: Elf
Size: Medium
Weight: 210 with all of my equipment
Height: 5,3
Dex: 19
Con: 11
Str: 12
Int: 13
Wis: 10
Cha: 14

I have decided to go with Archery as my Combat Style.
I just need to know what feats would go best with me.
I have been playing as a sneaky archer that has a Sherlock Holmes personality
I want to make sure that I have a good animal companion preferably one that can fly and carry me.
So what I need help on now you ask?

Recent events in a quest have made me become a vampire....

Now my character strives for revenge power and is evil.

I have decided to stay with the party to use them to gain power and betray them, but mostly gain power.

I want to become a necromancer[I want more info on them and what I can do with them and how to get there full potential]

I want to keep my intentions unknown to my party members and eventually make myself look good again[What item would conceal my alignment?]

Same as before we are only using the PhB, MM, DmG books. My DM has allowed some outside links. He well have to approve of them first. Nothing to strong please and something that he doesn't have to do much research on, or change the campaign to much[Try your best to stick with the basics please]

I'd also like to find a nightmare to control/bond with or whatever[Any clue to what kind of area they live in or how I can reach the planes they live in]

We also have a Roc egg. It would be cool to be able to kill and control it[Any idea how I might want to do that. I could always just tame it I guess.

Here are my current stats

Class: Rogue lvl 3-Ranger lvl 3 [Multiclassing]
Race: Elf-Vampire
Size: Medium
Weight: 210 still with all equipment-120 With nothing on me.
Height: 5'3
Dex: 16[Ability Modifier +7]
Str: 12[AM+7]
Int: 14[AM +6]
Con: 10[AM +0]
Wis: 11[AM +2]
Cha: 14[AM +4]
This is the party I travel with and some info on them:
One Paladin[He wanted to kill me immediately, My monk convinced him not to luckily. Now we have agreed to "try our best" not to turn on each other]

One Monk [My character probably likes him the most since we were alike. Most likely the most trusted party member I have]

One Cleric[He used to be a fighter be he died so he made a new character as a Cleric, Not really much to tell about his character since hes new to the party]
One Bard[Who occasionally comes she doesn't always show when we meet, Shes no harm to me weakest party member but big support]

One Arcane Archer [He is our DM but joins in whenever he has a quest that we might need him, he also joins whenever one of our characters "leave" for a bit for some character development, He lets us DM whenever that happens]
If you have any other questions please ask!!
Thank you so much everyone who contributes!!

Callin
2013-11-10, 09:33 AM
First are you a thrall to the vampire who made you? If so.. conflict. If not then you dont have to become Evil you can retain your old Alignment if you so choose to. You staying evil the Paladin will not party with you. Its against his code unless the DM handwaives that for party cohesion and yadda yadda.

Why do you want to now all of a sudden become a Necromancer? Your ECL should be through the roof with the Vamp Template added on to it. Along with your previous levels your Caster Level would be worthless later on in the game. Heck your ECL right now as I read it is 13-14 (because you give 2 different level sets in your post). So having 6-7 Wizard levels (since you are Core Only) is not going to help you all that much really.

ArcturusV
2013-11-10, 03:03 PM
Callin is right. With your level adjustment from the Vampire (Either 8 for full vampire, or 5 for Spawn), you're just not going to have a good go at becoming a Necromancer. Remember that means you're effectively level 10-13 now, depending on which template you had added to your character.

This means that while your teammates are getting their next level at 15,000 XP, you're not getting yours at until 45,000 or 78,000.

So by the time that you get level 1 in your "Necromancer" class (Be it Wizard or Cleric), your cleric teammate will be tossing around level 5-7 spells. And your level 1 spells will be of minimal help as far as Arcane/Divine support. Either uneffective against enemies you'll face like Sleep and Fear due to HD caps, or CL caps meaning that your Shocking Grasp at 1d8 damage just ain't sweating the bad guys. Well, badder guys.

Best case, you go for a Necromancer Cleric, Animate Dead is only a third level spell for them. So you will be level 15-18 before you can actually start raising the dead as a necromancer, with a very small pool you can control due to Caster Level limits and Rebuke Undead limits.

Your best bet for being a "Necromancer" as you are, is... well... stick to the course and use your Vampire's Spawn ability to kill targets, draining them of Con and raising them as Vampires under your thrall. Use your Dominate ability to help you out, gaze someone, then go blood drain them while they are helpless before your will. Wait 1-4 days, get a vampire under your complete control.

Thing is... if you try to "hide" the fact you're a vampire... it won't work. Vampire weaknesses are FAAAAAR too crippling for people to just not notice you're a vampire without willful ignorance.

Things to watch out for:

Your Cleric doing turning. At 5 HD, you are well within the range that your Cleric might end up turning you anytime he tries to use the ability. Remember it targets based on proximity, he doesn't have a choice of selective targets. Avoid him like the plague anytime you fight undead and he might be tempted to use it. He could end up instantly destroying you otherwise.

Water. You can't cross it unless in a boat or your coffin. No, not even if you fly. Not even if you burrow under it. Not even if you're in mist form. A simple moat around a castle is an impenetrable force field to you unless someone lugs your coffin over for you. Having a "Renfield" to do this (Dominated commoner) is suggested. But it gives away the fact that you're a vampire pretty quickly when you have to lug a coffin around with you everywhere and have a mind slave tending it, just in case you run across a river/moat/stream.

Invites. Another thing that can be a pain in the ass is the whole invite/threshold thing. Particularly since adventurers tend to be "barge in" and "Break in" type of people. The fact that you can't follow them should instantly raise alarm bells.

Sunlight. Big one. There's no getting around it really. There's an alchemical item in Libris Mortis that lets you avoid sunlight for 1 hour per application. But it's 100 gp a pop so it gets expensive fast. Note that the spell Darkness, for example, wouldn't really help you against Sunlight as it doesn't really make darkness, just an area where it's slightly dimmer. You'd still be under the sun.

Anyway, make sure to have a battleplan for that stuff.

Otherwise? Just... don't plan on leveling up anytime soon. You won't unless your DM is house ruling or soft balling you.