PDA

View Full Version : Disguise skill question

G.Cube
2013-11-10, 09:50 AM
One of my players is attempting to impersonate another party member, she has purchased a hat of disguise, so that takes care of apperances, but she's worried about what is going to happen when the time comes to speak as her target, does the disguise skill include voice mimickery?

Edit: Almost forgot to say thanks, thanks Playground!

Urpriest
2013-11-10, 09:54 AM
In general, the skill itself covers all aspects of impersonation, including voices.

While the hat of disguise itself only covers the visual aspect, you can interpret that as making people willing to overlook the occasional vocal mistake, since visually you look so much like your target. So I'd have the hat give its full +10 to disguise even if the PC has to speak.

Anxe
2013-11-10, 09:58 AM
I'd go with Bluff for vocal mimicry. Disguise gives a synergy bonus to Bluff when you have to act in character. That seemed like a heavy nod towards Bluff being used to fool people with your voice that you actually are whomever you're disguised as.

Vaz
2013-11-10, 10:04 AM
You could perhaps include the same bonus from the Hat of Disguise, but include the Familiarity penalty for hearing (on a listen test, rather than spot test).

Benthesquid
2013-11-10, 10:13 AM
Pathfinder has a spell called Vocal Alteration, which alters your voice, giving you a +10 disguise bonus to fool a listener. Of course, Pathfinder has also squished Spot, Search, and Listen into one skill, Perception

3.5 is a little trickier. Disguise is generally opposed by Spot, but if it's a question of your voice, Listen would seem more appropriate. Perhaps give both a Spot and a Listen check, and take the average?

Slipperychicken
2013-11-10, 11:25 AM
One of my players is attempting to impersonate another party member, she has purchased a hat of disguise, so that takes care of apperances, but she's worried about what is going to happen when the time comes to speak as her target, does the disguise skill include voice mimickery?

Edit: Almost forgot to say thanks, thanks Playground!

Maybe the hat also gives you voice-changing too?