PDA

View Full Version : Describe to me a princess.

Morithias
2013-11-10, 11:59 AM
Just doing a quick test here for something.

Describe to me a princess.

When someone says "princess" what do you see?

Thank you.

Slipperychicken
2013-11-10, 12:12 PM
When I think of a princess:

[SPOILER]
In order of when I think of them:

Long pink dress.
White skin.
Tall conical hat with a ribbon on it (no idea what they're called).
Long blonde hair.
Rich.
Spoiled.
Daughter of the king.
Attractive.
Naive.
Thin build, almost no muscle (or fat) to speak of.
Very weak and nonathletic.

Amridell
2013-11-10, 12:19 PM
Spoiler'd for the same reason.

Depends on geographical location, I'm going to assume Europe though.

-Pale
-Expensive clothing

Then two archetypes: Hero and NPC
-Hero:
--caring, compassionate, knows her people well
--Worldly, can speak at least 2-3 languages
--Knows other cultures
--Is jealous for power to fix things
--Doesn't really know how to fix things

-NPC
--Spoiled
--Naive to the rest of the world
--LET THEM EAT CAKE
--Selfish
--Wants the finer things in life
--Well mannered in public, can be a brat depending on age
--Poor with money and spends recklessly

Hope that helped.

Spiryt
2013-11-10, 12:21 PM
Some chick, richly clothed, well fed, carrying herself haughty.

Generally well educated and informed compared to the most of society, rather important figure due to being daughter of sovereign rules of some state, depending on local tradition (king, prince, duke).

Everything else is largely individual I guess.

VariSami
2013-11-10, 12:21 PM
Well, it seems quite culture- and trope-dependent. Technically, a princess is the woman descendant of the current ruler. Even this might be subverted in some contexts. Also, I suppose it works as a pet name for a woman, especially of young age, who you either regard highly or want to dismiss ironically based on the less flattering aspects of princesshood.

Since being a princess is tied primarily to not having ascended the throne, most should be expected to be relatively young. However, as the case of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles shows, this is not necessarily the case. In the case of biological descent, the heir (princess) need only be younger than their ruling parent by a degree dependent on the age of reproductive maturity.

And my first impressions still remain very stereotyping. As such, what I intuitively though of was your average media-standardized Disney princess: young adult or younger, relatively pampered, physically attractive, and keen on pastel-colored clothes.

Then again, I also took into consideration the possibility of an aspiring barbarian queen. Another stereotype, sadly, but at least it is a less prevalent trope.

And then there is her (http://rustyandco.com/comic/34/).

Edit: Added spoilers for reason stated above.

Xefas
2013-11-10, 12:26 PM

Is the answer "The person talking to me."? Did I solve it? I guess they could be standing behind me when they say it, but riddles don't tend to take that sort of thing into account, I don't think.

Felhammer
2013-11-10, 12:27 PM
When I think of Princess, I see a fair skinned damsel in distress. She has long locks, big eyes and unparalleled beauty. She always wears a dress, most often pink in color. She is demure, doting and happy. She does not allow her capture by the villain of the week to cloud her mood because she knows the gallant knight will always come to save her. She is a caring person who, unlike her fellow nobles, often takes time to give alms to the poor and hear their pleas. She can often have a bit of a spoiled brat attitude, especially around her father (and perhaps a new Knight who saves her). Enjoys luxury and demands them even from her captors.

Oko and Qailee
2013-11-10, 12:31 PM
I think of Princess Peach

she is the true damsel in distress, everyone else is a poser.

Morithias
2013-11-10, 12:34 PM
Huh...pretty much everyone said the same thing.

I have no idea if this is good or bad.

BWR
2013-11-10, 12:40 PM
My immediate thought is Princess Leia Organa.

Second thought is a silly person who opens schools to teach people how to talk to angels.

After that something along the lines of Disney princesses.

Of course so much of what I immediately think of is dependant on the context the word is used in.

Metahuman1
2013-11-10, 12:48 PM
I'm probably gonna go against the grain, damsel in distress is not what immidiatly pops into my head. Usually it's one of three other archatypes depending on my mood and the context.

The Warrior: Skilled with some form of setting appropriate weaponry/martial arts, maybe tactics and strategy. Might or Might not also be built like an amazon, or ironically be a tiny little thing that can still kill you in a fraction of the time it takes to blink.

The Skulk: She's sneaky, clever, usually has a duel identity, and while she may let people think she's a push over underestimating her can be a very fatal mistake indeed depending on context. Sometimes mixes with the other two.

The Mage: Yeah, she's a bit more girly, and this one might or might not have a good head on her shoulders, but she knows her way around a wizards lab and a spell book, and can really be a force in her own right just based on her magic.

Madwand99
2013-11-10, 12:52 PM
Princess (http://grfiles.game-host.org/3e_files/TheSentinels_Princess.pdf). That's who I think of, anyway.

TheTrueMooseman
2013-11-10, 01:19 PM
Clearly modern pop culture has worked its wonders on me, because I think of someone traditionally very feminine, but with no particular bias towards race or appearance, who is competent at something, whether it be magic, science, diplomacy or whatever, and who has a great desire to improve things for herself and her people by using these skills. How successful she is at this is entirely dependent on the contrivances of the plot.

Most importantly, at no point did I think 'damsel in distress' or 'pink', so that's progress.

Weirdlet
2013-11-10, 01:39 PM
Alternately I imagine a beautiful and kind person with a tendency towards self-sacrifice, or a strongly disciplined member of the royal house who gladly embodies the party line and makes herself into a weapon of enforcement for same, up to and including world conquest.

I may or may not have just been rewatching Avatar: the Last Airbender. A lot.

Craft (Cheese)
2013-11-10, 01:47 PM
- Spoiled brat
- Worthless waste of space
- Moron
- Incompetent
- Mary sue

endoperez
2013-11-10, 02:02 PM
Round face, a bit of extra weight on her body from having good food and not having any heavy chores, light brown hair, pale skin with some freckles. A pretty face, but nothing out of the extraordinary. She'd be proud, better educated (at least in politics) than some men, but she'd also know she's not as important as her brothers. She'd be clever, not the most intelligent person around but well aware of her place in the court and her future prospects, and she'd be trying to affect her lot in the world in all sorts of ways that are acceptable for her.

Her status would be shown by her attire and the people she's with. Her dress would be hand-embroidered, with beautiful scarves and shoes and lace in the cuffs. Her hair would be meticulously done by a servant, probably braided, with various semi-precious pretty little things in there - pearls or beads of some sort, ribbons and so on. There'd be very little make-up but some sort of perfume, probably from natural flowers.

She'd always have at least one servant nearby, a young or middle-aged maid in most situations.

I've read about too many doe-eyed, pampered princesses with great hearts and big chests, lately. :D

Lorsa
2013-11-10, 02:20 PM
Just doing a quick test here for something.

Describe to me a princess.

Thank you.

A spoiled brat who uses the taxpayers money to go to the best clubs, travel around the world, buy expensive cars and otherwise do nothing important with herself.

Jokes aside; if someone says "princess" I don't really see anything. It's just a description of heritary, it implies the person is the daughter of a king/queen and other than that I can't really describe her unless given more info.

A_Man
2013-11-10, 02:39 PM
Thinking more of a young pampered girl then one of being rich and haughty, to be honest.

ShadowFireLance
2013-11-10, 02:50 PM
Dinner or Spawn bearer. :smallamused: :smallbiggrin: :smalltongue:
Or Ransom. That works.

Eldariel
2013-11-10, 03:04 PM
Spoilered for the same reason as in the first post:
"Princess" in and of itself tells me very little. It tells me this person is royalty, acts like one or is treated like one. I can only surmise as much; I know stories of warrior princesses, aristocrat princesses, woodland princesses (often with nature-y tint), various modern celebrities who could be called 'princess' based on their behavior/title on their field, 'little princess' as a diminuitive-style expression for a girl child by their parents showing their affection, etc.

As such, when someone says 'princess' I have very little in terms of preconceptions since I know of so darn many different kinds of princesses. I'd need context to give a useful answer.

This may, in part, be my studies shining through since I'm a linguist and therefore analysis of semantics and pragmatics is a basic field of what I study.

Coidzor
2013-11-10, 03:28 PM
A tall, four-legged equine with a long horn, longer than even a unicorn's horn, a great, technicolor mane that defies gravity and can seem to billow in the wind even when there's no way that could be happening due to there being no airflow. Upon the princess's back, is a pair of wings, which violates the laws of physics by folding up to be smaller than they should be able to fold up when enfolded, but when fully outstretched seem impossibly large, possibly due to some kind of magical illusion/glamer/headology. Granted, I was recently in the Pony thread where there was some discussion of the God-Princesses. And apparently I was the only one. XD

That or some snooty broad in an opulently expensive dress with a tiara that's been tutored and spoilt something rotten.

Craft (Cheese)
2013-11-10, 03:34 PM
Spawn bearer

Where's the "vomit profusely" smiley?

Loth17
2013-11-10, 03:39 PM
She who i marry after i decapitate the local dragon.

TheCountAlucard
2013-11-10, 03:41 PM
Magnificent. With Lips of Coral, and Robes of Black Feathers.

Coidzor
2013-11-10, 03:43 PM

Black feathers? That's a new one.

Drascin
2013-11-10, 03:44 PM
I mostly think of a feminine girl in a rather girly dress, with a strong personality and a strong drive towards something. Longhaired, and classically pretty for the most part.

TheCountAlucard
2013-11-10, 03:54 PM
Black feathers? That's a new one.On the contrary, she is ancient, the spirit of a slain god-king, now a servant of the Neverborn. Her umbrella is made from the skins and bones of five of her fellows. When the gods of Great Forks cast her out of her deathly home, all the Deathlords became vulnerable.

Mastikator
2013-11-10, 04:05 PM
I think of Princess Diane actually.

Vitruviansquid
2013-11-10, 04:10 PM
I imagine a female ruler of some kind, either the hereditary monarch of a kingdom/empire or the daughter of one... which would be the term's literal definition. Other associations I have with the term include:

- She probably has great symbolic, if not also legal power in the kingdom. Princesses are kind of like everyone's daughter in the kingdom, in the sense that common people will pick fights with you in bars or on the street if you disparage their princess.

- I usually think of Princesses, whether they are actual rulers or daughters of rulers, to be morally good (though possibly flawed, naive, or misguided) while "queens" are morally evil or neutral.

- Like all royalty and members of the ruling family, I imagine a Princess has the best education that money can buy. It might not exactly be a scientific, religious, or magical education (I imagine the study of magic will require so much time and energy that it would be difficult for a mage to also learn to become a leader). Certainly, the princess would have the best education in government, liberal arts, and likely military strategy.

- If put in contrast with a Prince, the Princess will tend toward the more dovish in ruling while the Prince would be the more hawkish.

- The Princess will be either extremely haughty and arrogant (with or without good cause) or extremely humble. It's one or the either, no in-between.

The Oni
2013-11-10, 04:31 PM
I...don't actually have too many preconceptions, since there have been enough subversions of the tropes. Typically I expect them to be neck-poppingly beautiful, rich and somewhat well spoken, but they can range anywhere from badass to complete Non-Action Girl.

TheThan
2013-11-10, 09:30 PM
This is what I see when I think the word “princess”.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g42/TheThan/princessleia_zpsde551781.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/TheThan/media/princessleia_zpsde551781.jpg.html)

Alot of the other things i imagine... well are NSFW as they're like Vallejo artwork and the like.

Averis Vol
2013-11-10, 09:41 PM
Hard to say really. As a DM my first image is of the princess of Vel' Varis. She's a half elven woman with a.....mischievous, I guess, face. She's about sixteen, her father is a paladin, so she doesn't get out much. Her only real friend is the elderly court wizard, Hawthorn, and because her father doesn't let her out often (his sister died during a riot before his father took the throne) and her mother is being held hostage by the neighboring country, he lets her use his scrying glass as he teaches her about the surrounding lands.

So in short, when I think of a princess, I see:
-a bored but happy young lady
-kindly, curious and loves a good joke
-very knowledgeable about her own lands and those surrounding
-inexperienced as a whole
-born of strong genes (Father is a paladin, mother a devotee of the goddess of love)

When someone says princess....that's really not a lot of information to go off of. Tropes are there, but not everyone gets the same image when they think of it. I feel like this question is a trap, really.

Razanir
2013-11-10, 09:45 PM
It depends. If the context is as a damsel in distress, Peach. Totally Peach. A more heroic or plot-important princess?

1) Renowned for her beauty.
2) Has at least a small amount of martial training. (Typically with either the sword or bow)
3) Well educated

Ziegander
2013-11-10, 10:14 PM
Not one Adventure Time reference? Princess Bubblegum, guys, come on.

banthesun
2013-11-10, 10:32 PM

Got in just before me :smalltongue: I was going to say Ghost Princess though (I find her dress hilarious).

I do have the Disney Princess associations as well though.

Jay R
2013-11-10, 10:36 PM
The daughter or daughter-in-law of the king, she spent her early life in the palace, has a very firm grounding in practical politics, and is likely a favorite of any influential minister.

Zanos
2013-11-10, 10:40 PM
Huh...pretty much everyone said the same thing.

I have no idea if this is good or bad.

The Damsel in Distress princess is a pretty classical fantasy stereotype. No princess in a campaign I've been in recently conformed to that, but the archetype, and the spread of it, remains.

Agrippa
2013-11-10, 10:53 PM
What I think of when I here the word princess:

female
royal, noble or otherwise high status
either the daughter of the king and or queen or the ruler or wife of a ruler of a principality
occaisionally trained in martial arts, whether unarmed, weapons based or magical
charming and well-connected
has access to great education
well versed in court or other politics
refined, elegant and sophisticated by her society's standards

So everyone from Princess Grace Kelly to Princess Azula.

JoshuaZ
2013-11-10, 11:12 PM
A woman who is brother to the current king, is somewhat spoiled, involved heavily in court politics, and is not completely sane because she's had a Lovecraftian monster as her best friend since she was a little kid. Everyone else thinks it was an imaginary friend. At least, that's the princess in the campaign I'm running right now.

Slipperychicken
2013-11-10, 11:12 PM
No princess in a campaign I've been in recently conformed to [The Damsel in Distress stereotype]

To be fair, you know that unless the DM seriously railroaded it, a real group of PCs would most likely either royally screw it up and get her killed or worse, or else do something incredibly unsavory like ransoming her back to the king (or try to start a bidding war between kingdom and kidnapper).

Sith_Happens
2013-11-10, 11:36 PM
Let's see... The "first thing I think of when I hear [X]" image was Disney!Sleeping Beauty for some reason dressed like Disney!Maid Marian. Then after about a quarter-second my brain was all like "Wait, where'd that even come from?" and the mental image spontaneously switched to Twilight Princess!Zelda.

If I had to pick a common thread out of that, it would be:
* Female royalty (duh)
* Young
* Stereotypically feminine
* Of symbolic importance to the story, but mostly stays out of the action.

...And about halfway through typing that I suddenly remembered the good-old Secret Princess trope (examples here (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KingIncognito):smalltongue:), which immediately brought to mind Eowyn stabbing the Lich King... rendered anime-style. I really don't get my brain sometimes.:smallconfused:

veti
2013-11-11, 12:29 AM
- Spoiled brat
- Worthless waste of space
- Moron
- Incompetent
- Mary sue

This, basically.

"Queen" is real job, a queen has responsibilities and duties, and she can do them well or poorly.

"Princess" is - well, it's the opposite of that. A position that carries immense benefits but no real responsibilities. A parasite.

Coidzor
2013-11-11, 04:31 AM

Hey, I was doing good to put in the pony. :smalltongue:

This, basically.

"Queen" is real job, a queen has responsibilities and duties, and she can do them well or poorly.

"Princess" is - well, it's the opposite of that. A position that carries immense benefits but no real responsibilities. A parasite.

I'm reminded of Frank and K and the comments they had about the aristocrat offspring of former adventurers-***-monarchs and how their job is basically to be pretty and capture and keep the interest of one of the next round of adventurers who'll gain power in the area...

Morph Bark
2013-11-11, 05:04 AM
What I see?

http://www.rtlnieuws.nl/sites/default/files/styles/landscape/public/content/images/archive/3d/amaliaaa.jpg?itok=1crtRgio

SiuiS
2013-11-11, 05:09 AM
Scowling, chariot, spear, commanding, almost painfully Caucasian, army at her back, cloudy sky, battle chants.

Second is a slideshow of generic muslim women in fancy garb, a lot of veils posed in probably-degrading fashion, and a vague notion of Princess Jasmine and her tiger.

Third is maleficent, because she stole that movie.

Malak'ai
2013-11-11, 05:14 AM
Look up Princess Clara... Enough said.

Segev
2013-11-11, 11:07 AM

meep!

Let's hope one day, her Silver Prince will come. And both will go far, far away.

Segev
2013-11-11, 11:10 AM
I'm reminded of Frank and K and the comments they had about the aristocrat offspring of former adventurers-***-monarchs and how their job is basically to be pretty and capture and keep the interest of one of the next round of adventurers who'll gain power in the area...

That could actually be an interesting Fantasy Kingdom heredity rule: the crown goes to the greatest hero in the land, and while it is obviously encouraged that the princes and princesses might pursue heroics if it is in their nature, it is also encouraged that they instead court heroes and heroines. The one who marries the hero(ine) that wins the crown will perforce be Queen (or King) at the hero(ine)'s side.

This is designed so that hero-kings and heroine-queens will always reign, but also keep it in the royal family.

Jay R
2013-11-11, 11:23 AM
To be fair, you know that unless the DM seriously railroaded it, a real group of PCs would most likely either royally screw it up and get her killed or worse, or else do something incredibly unsavory like ransoming her back to the king (or try to start a bidding war between kingdom and kidnapper).

"Royally screw" is a really poor choice of phrase to use in the context of dealing with a princess.

(Or a really great one - I'm not sure which.)

GungHo
2013-11-11, 11:43 AM
I usually play princesses (and princes for that matter) as either very useful or very useless, and often groomed for different things depending on their line of succession. The oldest boys and girls are usually more administrative, big picture types whereas the youngest are more likely to be more worldly, either part of the royal knighthood/wizardry/clergy or adventurers, ether acknowledged or on the sly. Individually, they may or may not enjoy the priviledges of royalty, and they may or may not travel openly. It really depends on the story. I also make use of bastards wielding bastard swords... a lot.

AgentofHellfire
2013-11-11, 12:23 PM
Do you mean in terms of the very first mental image, or the most fun one?

Probably first...

Anyway, I just see a blonde, good-lookingish girl in a pink flowing dress. No real personality attached, although if you asked me to include one I'd put in kindness.

Of course, that's not where my creativity would direct me when making one. I pride myself in being able to warp images such as that!

Morithias
2013-11-11, 12:27 PM
Do you mean in terms of the very first mental image, or the most fun one?

Probably first...

Very first.

And it seems pretty consistent across the board. Okay good. I'm going in the right direction then.

AgentofHellfire
2013-11-11, 12:31 PM
Very first.

And it seems pretty consistent across the board. Okay good. I'm going in the right direction then.

...I'm curious now what you're planning for...

Morithias
2013-11-11, 12:40 PM
...I'm curious now what you're planning for...

I am working on a character, but I want her to be just right. It doesn't work for her to just have the noble title and be nothing like what people view a princess of...no she has to have the right traits...only transformed...

AgentofHellfire
2013-11-11, 12:42 PM
I am working on a character, but I want her to be just right. It doesn't work for her to just have the noble title and be nothing like what people view a princess of...no she has to have the right traits...only transformed...

Ooooh, fun-sounding.

Mind showing me the end result?

Slipperychicken
2013-11-11, 12:48 PM
the right traits...only transformed...

Taking a hike through the uncanny valley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley), then?

Morithias
2013-11-11, 12:49 PM
Ooooh, fun-sounding.

Mind showing me the end result?

How do I word this....hmmm...

Basically imagine Princess Peach, mixed with Tiny Tina, and add a bit of handsome jack.

She acts like a good little princess...but cross her warped idea of what is proper morals and ethics, and watch the hell out.

Taking a hike through the uncanny valley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley), then?

Basically in the same way Princess Fiona is a princess parody. This princess is a princess version of nightmare fuel.

Coidzor
2013-11-11, 02:44 PM
Scowling, chariot, spear, commanding, almost painfully Caucasian, army at her back, cloudy sky, battle chants.

Third is maleficent, because she stole that movie.

How is it painful if Boudicca is White? :smallconfused:

Why is she a Princess and not a Queen? :smallconfused:

Eric Tolle
2013-11-11, 03:27 PM
An elite member of an antiquated and repressive poltical and economic system, who shall regretfully be put to death with the rest of her family when the revolution comes.

Alternatively, this (http://www.princess.com/):

Friv
2013-11-11, 03:39 PM
Three traits apply to any "Princess" in my mind:

1) Beautiful
2) Sheltered
3) Wealthy

There is also a fourth trait, but it is either:
a) Spoiled, or
b) Tempestuous

The former applies to princesses who are non-sympathetic, while the latter applies to all main character princesses. The former is also generally unaware of her sheltered life or wealth, while the latter is frustrated by her sheltered life and uninterested in her wealth.

TheThan
2013-11-11, 04:00 PM

Ok I thought that was a double entendre until I clicked the link.

Sith_Happens
2013-11-11, 04:17 PM
"Royally screw" is a really poor choice of phrase to use in the context of dealing with a princess.

(Or a really great one - I'm not sure which.)

I don't know, why don't you ask this guy:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130508081046/berserk/images/9/98/Griffith_Pre-Eclipse_Manga.jpg

"You dawg, I heard you like being royally screwed."

Morithias
2013-11-11, 05:52 PM
I don't know, why don't you ask this guy:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130508081046/berserk/images/9/98/Griffith_Pre-Eclipse_Manga.jpg

"You dawg, I heard you like being royally screwed."

Heh...never say that kind of stuff in front of this princess.

She'd have him thrown in a meat grinder for "using dumb slang."

Litter and she buries you in the dump.

Alive.

Without a coffin.

She's obsessed with perfection, basically imagine the prince from the first Shrek movie, except not played for laughs and instead played for nightmare fuel.

THEChanger
2013-11-11, 05:55 PM
What would she do to a wizard who pointed out to her that slang is, in fact, simply slang for slang?

Morithias
2013-11-11, 05:56 PM
What would she do to a wizard who pointed out to her that slang is, in fact, simply slang for slang?

I would seriously have to come up with a very brutal punishment. Either that or something else.

Quite frankly, even I didn't know slang was a slang word.

What's the actual term for slang?

Slipperychicken
2013-11-11, 06:12 PM

He'd get brutally executed for using a forbidden word 3 times in a row. And for questioning the princess :smallbiggrin:

Grinner
2013-11-11, 06:23 PM
What's the actual term for slang?

Vernacular?

Coidzor
2013-11-11, 07:49 PM
She's obsessed with perfection, basically imagine the prince from the first Shrek movie, except not played for laughs and instead played for nightmare fuel.

There wasn't a prince in the first Shrek movie. That was part of the reason he wanted a princess to marry. (http://shrek.wikia.com/wiki/Farquaad)

Also, are you familiar with Discworld? Specifically, have you ever read Witches Abroad? Because it sounds like this Princess monstrosity of yours was made by the antagonist from that book.

banthesun
2013-11-12, 02:14 AM
Okay, now this has reminded me of Princess Princess (http://strangelykatie.com/princessprincess/?pid=38), which is totally worth reading.

Morithias
2013-11-12, 02:35 AM
There wasn't a prince in the first Shrek movie. That was part of the reason he wanted a princess to marry. (http://shrek.wikia.com/wiki/Farquaad)

Also, are you familiar with Discworld? Specifically, have you ever read Witches Abroad? Because it sounds like this Princess monstrosity of yours was made by the antagonist from that book.

I thought it was that he wasn't a 'king' and therefore it was not a 'kingdom'.

And no I have not read Discworld.

If anything this princess is more based on Belzeebub from the Fiendish Codex 2, except more human, which makes her all the more scary.

SiuiS
2013-11-12, 04:00 AM
Very first.

Woohoo! Statistical anomaly!

How is it painful if Boudicca is White? :smallconfused:

The white is of sufficient quality to be painful; Like staring at a mirror or being in the snow on a bright day with no lenses.

Why is she a Princess and not a Queen? :smallconfused:

Because anything and everything from Sleeping Beauty is Maleficent. It's the bad-ass Disney movie with the thorns and the dragon witch.

There are, like, other things? A plot? Im sure there are characters. And probably fairies! I remember the taste of mead, prophecied correctly as a bard drinks from a lute, and I remember a Kool-Aid color change fight, kind of? But anything from that movie reminds me of Maleficient.

Princess, specifically reminded me of the dragon rearing over the castle surrounded by the thorn hedge. Whether or not that ever happened XD

Coidzor
2013-11-12, 04:23 PM
The white is of sufficient quality to be painful; Like staring at a mirror or being in the snow on a bright day with no lenses.

And here I was thinking you were talking figuratively rather than, like, literally.

Because anything and everything from Sleeping Beauty is Maleficent. It's the bad-ass Disney movie with the thorns and the dragon witch.

There are, like, other things? A plot? Im sure there are characters. And probably fairies! I remember the taste of mead, prophecied correctly as a bard drinks from a lute, and I remember a Kool-Aid color change fight, kind of? But anything from that movie reminds me of Maleficient.

Princess, specifically reminded me of the dragon rearing over the castle surrounded by the thorn hedge. Whether or not that ever happened XD

Yeah, I just read her as more of a Dark Queen, hence my question.

I thought it was that he wasn't a 'king' and therefore it was not a 'kingdom'.

And no I have not read Discworld.

If anything this princess is more based on Belzeebub from the Fiendish Codex 2, except more human, which makes her all the more scary.

It was both as I recall. A Prince wouldn't need a princess to marry in order to become a king. A lowly Lord, though? Well, that's what he thought after talking to the mirror.

You should get cracking then. I recommend Guards! Guards! as the place to start unless you want to dive right in with Witches Abroad due to the relevance to your particular interest here.

Doesn't sound particularly human, more like a caricature of humanity made by someone who is only passingly familiar with what humanity is shaped like. Which reminds me, you'll probably like Lords and Ladies as well.

Morithias
2013-11-12, 04:37 PM
Doesn't sound particularly human, more like a caricature of humanity made by someone who is only passingly familiar with what humanity is shaped like. Which reminds me, you'll probably like Lords and Ladies as well.

Devil doing evil? Completely expected and not shocking at all.

Human doing similar evil? Crosses in horror about the "Depths humanity will sink to."

I'm just saying, no one bats an eye when a lion kills an animal, but when a poacher does it?

You get my drift.

She's scarier as a human, because you relate to humans.

Coidzor
2013-11-12, 05:56 PM
Devil doing evil? Completely expected and not shocking at all.

Human doing similar evil? Crosses in horror about the "Depths humanity will sink to."

I'm just saying, no one bats an eye when a lion kills an animal, but when a poacher does it?

You get my drift.

She's scarier as a human, because you relate to humans.

Except you're not really describing Devilish evil, you're describing a caricature of evil made by a jerky meat puppet in the guise of a human, with just enough human traits for it to be really, really creepy that the creature looks so much like a human despite there appearing to be no way that it is, in fake a human being underneath the flesh wrappings.

Sort of flirting with cartoonish evil, really...

SiuiS
2013-11-12, 06:12 PM
Yeah, I just read her as more of a Dark Queen, hence my question.

Man, you could say "waffles", and if waffles remind me of sleeping beauty, the first thing that comes to mind is still maleficent

My phone wants to change that to make geckos. So now sleeping beauty is car insurance, and it's your fault. I hope you're happy.

Coidzor
2013-11-12, 07:00 PM
Man, you could say "waffles", and if waffles remind me of sleeping beauty, the first thing that comes to mind is still maleficent

My phone wants to change that to make geckos. So now sleeping beauty is car insurance, and it's your fault. I hope you're happy.

How on earth is this a response to anything I actually said? :smallconfused:

ShadowFireLance
2013-11-12, 08:01 PM
Where's the "vomit profusely" smiley?

I'm not about to dilute my royal blood, now am I?

zimmerwald1915
2013-11-12, 08:03 PM
A tall, four-legged equine with a long horn, longer than even a unicorn's horn, a great, technicolor mane that defies gravity and can seem to billow in the wind even when there's no way that could be happening due to there being no airflow. Upon the princess's back, is a pair of wings, which violates the laws of physics by folding up to be smaller than they should be able to fold up when enfolded, but when fully outstretched seem impossibly large, possibly due to some kind of magical illusion/glamer/headology. Granted, I was recently in the Pony thread where there was some discussion of the God-Princesses. And apparently I was the only one. XD

That or some snooty broad in an opulently expensive dress with a tiara that's been tutored and spoilt something rotten.
That took way too long.

As for me, I imagine an obsolete legal personality.

Spanish_Paladin
2013-11-12, 09:20 PM
Well, usually a name for a political figure, the daughter of a King or the female ruler of a Principality, but... i guess that is not what you want :smallbiggrin:, yo want to know what i see when i hear the word "princess" (warning: high amounts of sugar :smalltongue: )

A lady, her eyes reflects the compassion of her heart and the steel of her will in equal parts, she is feminine but not weak, she wears a white or blue magnificent dress, her hair is long with beatiful curls (it doesn´t matter if golden, red or dark), she has jewelry but few and simple, perhaps a necklace. She likes to dance and to ride, she is corageus and is proficent with sword, perhaps a rapier. She is Love in its more perfect and pure form.

Coidzor
2013-11-12, 09:30 PM
That took way too long.

Quite.

I'm not about to delude my royal blood, now am I?

Dilute, I think you mean. :smallconfused:

Tiiba
2013-11-12, 10:02 PM
I see this:

35 years old.
Pretty, but not gorgeous.
Wears an expensive, but modern outfit.
Alternately amused and exasperated by people who believe Disney.
Doe NOT sing all the time.
Has a tendency to act arrogant around commoners, but knows it's wrong and tries not to.
Trained in court manners, but loves situations that let her dispense with them.

Coidzor
2013-11-12, 11:32 PM
I see this:

35 years old.
Pretty, but not gorgeous.
Wears an expensive, but modern outfit.
Alternately amused and exasperated by people who believe Disney.
Doe NOT sing all the time.
Has a tendency to act arrogant around commoners, but knows it's wrong and tries not to.
Trained in court manners, but loves situations that let her dispense with them.

Intriguingly specific.

Cerlis
2013-11-13, 02:50 AM
Jaina Proudmoore. She is a bit of an extreme example (not THAT extreme really) but my first thought with princess is a strong feminine woman who uses her intellect and people skill to rule the day.

Hyena
2013-11-13, 02:51 AM
Rich, spoiled, lusts for power, wears expensive clothing and jewelry, opresses the masses.

SiuiS
2013-11-13, 04:32 AM
How on earth is this a response to anything I actually said? :smallconfused:

I explained the mechanism which causes "maleficent" to be an answer to any question which brings up sleeping beauty even tangentially. You said "I get that, but I don't get it", basically, because your response didn't in any way take into account the statement you were responding too, and so I rephrased it to an absurd degree to highlight the formula it is an example of rather than the specific output, because the equation is important and not the specific answer to the specific version of the equation.

Segev
2013-11-13, 10:45 AM
It doesn't hurt that Maleficent is the most awesome Disney Villain ever. >_> <_<

Coidzor
2013-11-13, 10:53 PM
I explained the mechanism which causes "maleficent" to be an answer to any question which brings up sleeping beauty even tangentially. You said "I get that, but I don't get it", basically, because your response didn't in any way take into account the statement you were responding too, and so I rephrased it to an absurd degree to highlight the formula it is an example of rather than the specific output, because the equation is important and not the specific answer to the specific version of the equation.

Clearly there's some kind of failure to communicate here, but upon review of my earlier statement, I have no idea how I could have been clearer.

It doesn't hurt that Maleficent is the most awesome Disney Villain ever. >_> <_<

Great. Now I'm obligated to state that at not point have I contested this and we are all, in fact, in agreement that Maleificent is totally rad. :smalltongue:

TheThan
2013-11-14, 12:41 AM

Yeah, the whole reason Maleifcent did what she was did is because the kings snubbed her by not inviting her to the royal baby shower. Which she crashed anyway and applied said curse, can’t keep her down. As far as reasons for doing anything, that’s pretty dang petty, which enhances her awesomeness, since its pretty clear she doesn't need or want anything from either some kings. Although some respect would be nice.

Thrudd
2013-11-14, 01:05 AM
First thing that jumps to mind when I think the word "princess" is Deja Thoris and Barsoom in general.

Description:
"And the sight which met my eyes was that of a slender, girlish figure, similar in every detail to the earthly women of my past life... Her face was oval and beautiful in the extreme, her every feature was finely chiseled and exquisite, her eyes large and lustrous and her head surmounted by a mass of coal black, waving hair, caught loosely into a strange yet becoming coiffure. Her skin was of a light reddish copper color, against which the crimson glow of her cheeks and the ruby of her beautifully molded lips shone with a strangely enhancing effect. She was as destitute of clothes as the green Martians who accompanied her; indeed, save for her highly wrought ornaments she was entirely naked, nor could any apparel have enhanced the beauty of her perfect and symmetrical figure."

"While no fighter, Dejah Thoris is no mere damsel in distress. She speaks eloquently and bravely for herself before the Tharks, is ready to sacrifice herself to save her city, and on at least one occasion saves John Carter's life. As she is leading a scientific expedition when she falls into A Princess of Mars, it is safe to assume her royal duties extend further than looking beautiful and being kidnapped. " - barsoom wikia

Jaycemonde
2013-11-14, 01:30 PM
Usually, the daughter [perceived] of a king/queen, emperor or other ruling individual in a dictatorial government. I've always seen "prince" and "princess" as merely being formal titles that don't have any bearing on someone's personality.

Although, after seeing Space Balls as a kid, I do love the idea of a stereotypical prince who's so terminally bored with everything around him he literally falls asleep running after his runaway bride.

Spiryt
2013-11-14, 01:46 PM
Usually, the daughter [perceived] of a king/queen, emperor or other ruling individual in a dictatorial government. I've always seen "prince" and "princess" as merely being formal titles that don't have any bearing on someone's personality.

Being prince or princess, will, in the end absolutely have large effect on someones personality, though. "Being determines consciousness" is all in all accurate thing certain someone had said.

I would rather say that there are so many settings and variations in which 'princess' is a possibility that almost nothing can be really said 'generally'.

Just too many possibilities on, say, planet Earth from 1000 AD to 2000, let alone everything else.