PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder: How to get this odd weapon to work...

Cryov
2013-11-10, 03:18 PM
So lately I've been running an ogrekin fighter and have the Quick at Hand ogre feat from the ogre listing in the beastiary. ( http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/giants/ogre )

I've taken a liking to using a rope with 3 bear traps tied to the end. Each has its own length of 5ft rope tied to the main rope.

However I am trying to figure out how to get this to actually work as a ranged weapon and the mechanics of it. On top of that I am trying to figure out any way to improve the bear traps and rope so it can somewhat scale so it doesn't start to suck in the next few levels.

I don't really care for the damage, I just want it to snap at people it hits so I can drag them towards me/the party. Also to perhaps throw them at a square so it can snap on people walking over it.

If you have any ideas on how I could get this to functionally work or a half decent house ruling on it, that would be great. Also anything about getting the rope or bear traps better.

PRINCE KOG DA GHOSTBUSTER~

Cryov
2013-11-10, 03:32 PM
*I want the traps to function when thrown and hitting someone. Of course I imagine they would have to be reset whether the hit or not.

Bear Traps:
Atk +10 melee (2d6+3); sharp jaws spring shut around the creature’s ankle and halve the creature’s base speed (or hold the creature immobile if the trap is attached to a solid object); the creature can escape with a DC 20 Disable Device check, DC 22 Escape Artist check, or a DC 26 Strength check

Dimcair
2013-11-12, 08:26 AM
3 Heavy iron beartraps attached to different ropes, connected with a knot in the middle? You are basically using bolas.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/bolas

I think this might be a point to start?
Do the trip attack and if they fall....well....there are 3 bear traps around them :smallbiggrin: hilarious idea!

So basically

Make an unarmed melee touch attack against your target. This provokes an attack of opportunity from your target as normal for unarmed attacks.

If your attack succeeds, make a Strength check opposed by the defender’s Dexterity or Strength check (whichever ability score has the higher modifier). A combatant gets a +4 bonus for every size category he is larger than Medium or a -4 penalty for every size category he is smaller than Medium. The defender gets a +4 bonus on his check if he has more than two legs or is otherwise more stable than a normal humanoid. If you win, you trip the defender. If you lose, the defender may immediately react and make a Strength check opposed by your Dexterity or Strength check to try to trip you.

The fat part should be a ranged touch attack. Thus you also would have to use your dexterity on that attack roll as the modifier for your bab, not strength!
Now it is a CMB/CMD contest in which I would allow a Dex Check instead of a Strength one to be fair.
If you lose the opponent can use the main rope you still have in your hand to try and trip you unless you let go off it.

Just some thoughts, what do you think?

/edit: I am not sure if you need a contest/attack roll for tripping with a bola, but I couldn't find official rules on how a bola works.
Logic would dictate that you need to hit with the freaking things, but then if you hit them the opponent should fall automatically (if he moves at least). Somebody knows where this is explained?

Dimcair
2013-11-12, 11:53 AM
According to this threadhttp://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16408274#post16408274 (page 43)

A593 They work as a normal trip, except you make a trip combat maneuver attack at range (taking all the bonuses and/or penalties for doing so).

You can either attack or trip with bolas. Simply hitting with an attack does not trip the opponent.

You could just do a Trip Combat maneuver at range. So apparently there is no need to hit if you go by the rules,

Cryov
2013-11-14, 12:57 AM
Well we worked it out like this.
Since the trap itself rolls its attack and if it hits, it auto-activates.
We decided this should be the case if its on a rope or chain.
Its been decided that it will be on a 10ft chain and sort of function as an improvised whip. (still improvised weapon)

Now when the trap activates, it latches on and does some damage. I think 2d6+3 as per the bear trap.
In anycase, the target is now "anchored" to you until they can make a escape artist, disable device, or str check to escape from the trap. That or they can do an opposed str check with me to try to drag me.

Basically, it does some damage, and I can try to drag them to me. I went with a chain because they are harder to break. 10ft chain makes it function like a whip so i can use my str with my ba instead of dex.
You can use the trap making rules to up the dc to escape it to 30+ and make the trap auto-resetting.

All in all, just a way to do some damage and stop enemies from running away from the fighter :D

*edit* oh and I decided to leave it at one trap on it. If you use 3...you can take the improvised weapon feat at level 1 and put 3 traps on a rope and do 6d6+9 dmg.... I decided it was op if i wanted to do a nine tails variant of the trap.

Dimcair
2013-11-14, 05:47 AM
Great it worked out for you, I am gonna keep the concept in mind =D