PDA

View Full Version : tons of feats

limejuicepowder
2013-11-10, 04:03 PM
The Character: elven fighter 2. Counting the proficiencies given by elves, this is a total of 7 feats.

The Situation: now let's pretend this character pals around with a 15th level wizard who agrees to cast embrace/shun the dark chaos 7 times each.

The Question: is there even a point? Elven fighter 2 with 7 feats of his choosing, from anywhere (but he still must meet the prereqs). Obviously, this is better than a regular fighter....but considering the level of cheese involved, it should be really really good. And I don't see how it's that good. The best move, in the long run, seems to be to pick up a bunch of annoying prereqs for PrCs, but that's pretty lackluster.

Are there better things to do with this setup?

Sir_Thaddeus
2013-11-10, 07:43 PM
I'm not the most experienced when it comes to the Dark Chaos Shuffle, but looking at this setup, what I would do with the Elf Fighter 2 is level up a bunch more times. The benefit of "any feat you meet the prereqs for" is a bit better at high level; a 2nd level character switching out his/her 1st level feats isn't going to get much more with them than he/she would have gotten by selecting them normally (although the racial elf feats do gain a lot by being DC Shuffled out at any level), while a 15th level character can grab all the high-BAB, high-skillranks, high-whatever prereqed feats he/she can grab, and fill up all the nigh-useless low-level feat slots with them.

TL;DR I think the Dark Chaos Shuffle is best used at high levels so you can swap out for better feats.

Ruethgar
2013-11-10, 08:19 PM
Half-Human Elf is a better choice since they can take Human Paragon for another feat. The most powerful thing I've seen that you can do with that many feats at a low level is to stack up on metabreath feats, a power surge and go Dragonfire Adept. However, let me see...

Add a level of wizard, shuffle away scribe scroll. Earth Sense, Earth Spell, Heighten Spell, Sanctum Spell, Practiced Spellcaster, Extra Slot(2nd), Extra Slot(3rd), Extra Slot(4th), Extra Slot(5th). So a level three with a 5th level slot, pretty nice. But if you can keep your wizard friend around, he can shuffle away the 2nd and 3rd level extra slots to give you 6th and 7th. Shuffle the 4th and 5th for 8th and 9th. Shuffle them all to 10th level spell slots. Now you don't need Earth Sense or Earth Spell anymore so chunk them for say metamagic feats or Extra Spell.

Even better, a cleric. Take the Cloistered ACF and take Knowledge Devotion instead of the domain. The other two domains should be Metal and War. That is a total of 5 feats to shuffle away with one class level and it just so happens to be the best class for Divine Metamagic.

As far as a physical class base, there is a lot less you can do. You could manage a decent number of psionic uses, some soulmelds, maneuvers.

juicycaboose
2013-11-10, 08:27 PM
Half-Human Elf is a better choice since they can take Human Paragon for another feat.

Not at all in this case seeing as Elf gives you 4 weapon proficiency feats that you can DCS into other feats, being half-elf does not give you those feats.

Ruethgar
2013-11-10, 08:51 PM
Not at all in this case seeing as Elf gives you 4 weapon proficiency feats that you can DCS into other feats, being half-elf does not give you those feats.

Being a generic half-elf does not get you the feats, but being a half-human elf does.

juicycaboose
2013-11-10, 09:40 PM
Being a generic half-elf does not get you the feats, but being a half-human elf does.

Can I get a source on half-human elf? Is it a race or a template?

Karnith
2013-11-10, 09:51 PM
Can I get a source on half-human elf? Is it a race or a template?
It's in the Dungeon Master's Guide, p. 171, as an example of a modified race (the base race in question being Half-Elf, of course).

lunar2
2013-11-10, 11:21 PM
actually, you may not want to shun those abyssal heritor feats away. at this level, you can get some nice things with abyssal heritor or aberrant feats that you've stocked up on. especially since you have so many feats to use, and these feats get more powerful the more you have.

Crake
2013-11-10, 11:46 PM
actually, you may not want to shun those abyssal heritor feats away. at this level, you can get some nice things with abyssal heritor or aberrant feats that you've stocked up on. especially since you have so many feats to use, and these feats get more powerful the more you have.

He's right you know. You could get DR7/Lawful, the ability to ignore falling damage and +21 on jump checks, the ability to either fascinate or sicken someone by being super beautiful or super ugly, darkvision 30ft and +7 to spot and search checks, the list goes on. And they all get better, the more abyssal heritor feats you have, so with 7 of them at level 2 they're pretty amazing.