PDA

View Full Version : [PF]: Kender Feats?

Thunderfist12
2013-11-10, 04:18 PM
Anyone else notice the kender-archetype feats in the Advanced Player's Guide? (Examples: Childlike, Taunt, and Well-prepared.) Was it really necessary to include kender-like halfling feats?

Waddacku
2013-11-10, 04:27 PM
As long as none of them encourage you to steal your party's things all the time and set off all the traps in their faces, I don't see the problem.

Thunderfist12
2013-11-10, 04:36 PM
True, but when people like my brother see a way to play a kender in Pathfinder... it all goes downhill from there.

Firsthand experience on that. If anyone who knows the word "kender" uses those feats, it isn't pretty.

Vertharrad
2013-11-10, 05:16 PM
They were hoping to destroy PF's fame so people would quit pestering them about changing rules and mechanics...:smallbiggrin:. Really I see nothing good coming of this when the word Kender gets used.

Ravens_cry
2013-11-10, 05:40 PM
I think the gnomes got more the kender-lite feats, like the one that is being, for lack of a better (polite) word, discussed in the "Worst feat EVAR" thread.

Spore
2013-11-10, 08:39 PM
Could someone explains to me why Kender halflings are such a nuissance?

Giarc
2013-11-10, 09:03 PM
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Kender

Traab
2013-11-10, 09:05 PM
My best guess speaking as a guy with no real experience? People play kender for the same reason they play chaotic neutral. So they can do whatever the hell stupid or annoying thing they want and go "lol arrrpee!!!"
Note that not all chaotic neutrals act like thius, I am merely stating that the type of troublemaking player you will run into would use these to justify being an ass.

Marnath
2013-11-10, 09:15 PM
Could someone explains to me why Kender halflings are such a nuissance?

We discussed that here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312324).

Sith_Happens
2013-11-11, 12:22 AM
We discussed that here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312324).

The short version is, the official advice on how to play a Kender without being That Guy is essentially to downplay everything their entry says about them.

Spore
2013-11-11, 01:31 AM
Tbh that's about how Goblins are played in all of my sessions. With the exception that no PC is playing one.

Vertharrad
2013-11-11, 05:21 AM
By the way Kender are not halflings...they're Kender. The bane of D&D's existence.

Vertharrad
2013-11-11, 05:24 AM
The short version is, the official advice on how to play a Kender without being That Guy is essentially to downplay everything their entry says about them.

At this point your not playing a Kender...your playing a halfling.

Ravens_cry
2013-11-11, 05:42 AM
Halflings took on a lot of the less annoying Kender traits in 3.X default fluff. The halfling sling staff is very similar to the Hoopak. (http://www.kencyclopedia.com/kender/general/kenderdl3e.cfm?page=hoopakHistory), for example. The transition from fat, homebody Hobbits with a slight name change to thin wanderers with a taste for wanderlust is also from Kender.
Stealth is a trait of both though. In fact, Tolkien Hobbit's are *very* stealthy.

Souhiro
2013-11-11, 06:41 AM
When someone demanded to have a Kender in my pathfinder game, suddenly every NPC gained ranger levels, and their favored enemy was "Frank's Kender", and "Frank's Kender. Again".

Yes, it those ones were just joke levels, just like when I showed them the Jetpack Tarrasque sheet... but I always say that a Kender is like falling from a chair: It's fun... when it happens to another.

AzureKnight
2013-11-11, 08:28 AM
Playing a kinder in a dungeons and dragons game is as bad as telling the vegan family you have over for dinner that you used ground beef in the spagetti sauce and not the soy meat substitude they provided after they have eaten.

Lots of people doing a mad dash to the bathroom there.

Spore
2013-11-11, 09:48 AM
Okay, whilst I agree Kender are NOT fun to be around (and depending on the "darkness" of your setting unlikely to survive a day in the city) you could start to see how some traits of that hated class could be rather awesome when applied to standard halflings.

Well-Prepared and Child-Like make for an awesome halfling character (if that isn't the only thing they can do).

Brookshw
2013-11-11, 11:48 AM
Looks like they missed a few such as "punt-able - any creature attempting to punt a kender may do so. They auto succeed on grapple checks to grab kender and can punt them a number of squares equal to an unarmed attack roll + 2x str mod".

Vertharrad
2013-11-11, 02:33 PM
Sporeegg - you didn't listen during the 80's in school did you? Just Say No to Kender. Problem solved.

Brookshw - great suggestion now we need to be as annoying as That Guy to get the devs to green light it.

Spore
2013-11-11, 04:42 PM
Sporeegg - you didn't listen during the 80's in school did you? Just Say No to Kender. Problem solved.

No, not really. I was 2 in '89, sorry. :smallamused:

Vertharrad
2013-11-11, 06:15 PM
No, not really. I was 2 in '89, sorry. :smallamused:

Well then I was trying to be funny and serious at the same time. And it was before 89 for me, I went to SC latter part of 89 and had already went through it well before then(might have been 87 or 88). Seriously...this is your brain(empty frying pan), this is your brain on Kender(egg frying in frying pan). Well youngsta listen up good...don't be That Guy and say no to Kender. Everytime a bell rings a Kender becomes a Halfling.

Person_Man
2013-11-11, 08:15 PM
Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman wanted to write Lord of the Rings fan fiction. But they had to make Hobbits different enough that TSR wouldn't be sued again for copyright infringement. So they made Tasslehoff Burrfoot, who basically embodies all of the worst qualities of Hobbits, and either moves the plot forward or prolongs it for another sequel by innocently making terrible mistakes. In order for him to be "innocent" and not just a raging jerk, the authors decided that his stupidity was a racial traits. Almost everyone hates them and everything associated with them. The only thing they hate more is people who actually play Kender, because they destroy games.

ArqArturo
2013-11-11, 10:13 PM
Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman wanted to write Lord of the Rings fan fiction. But they had to make Hobbits different enough that TSR wouldn't be sued again for copyright infringement. So they made Tasslehoff Burrfoot, who basically embodies all of the worst qualities of Hobbits, and either moves the plot forward or prolongs it for another sequel by innocently making terrible mistakes. In order for him to be "innocent" and not just a raging jerk, the authors decided that his stupidity was a racial traits. Almost everyone hates them and everything associated with them. The only thing they hate more is people who actually play Kender, because they destroy games.

Apparently Tolkien copyright lawyers are Ringwraiths :smallamused:.

I always thought kender were sort of the butt of all jokes, since there was already halflings (as far as I know) in the game, but I guess they wanted to steer away from Greyhawk.

But kender are a fine race, Just add some garlic, some butter and roast them. Delicious.