TheTeaMustFlow
2013-11-10, 04:55 PM
Well, crap.

Vedhin
:smalleek: Tarquin stabbed Elan?!

Turgon9357
Looks like Roy and Elan are blood-brothers now.

Ellye
2013-11-10, 04:56 PM
But.. is.. wha... wh..

:smalleek:

Samalpetey
Sometimes I love how this comic depicts HP damage. 'tis but a scratch!

Incidently, does anyone have any idea why the whip was glowing in panel 7?

Seerow
Holy crap. That just happened.

Oko and Qailee
please be ok Roy please be OK!!!

Everyl
Well, I hope the "Team Tarquin should walk all over the Order" crowd are satisfied now.

Edit: Wouldn't it be hilarious if, even as beaten-up as he is, Roy still has more hit points than uninjured Elan? I wonder how Tarquin would react if Elan drops to -1 hp, while Roy is still conscious and fighting.

Burnerpower
Wow, ummm... This does not look good for the order. :smalleek:

SinsI
2013-11-10, 04:57 PM
What combat maneuver is that?

Chessgeek
Heh. Like father like son.

Also, I love the V choked face. Excellent detail.

Tridax
Once again, Tarquin proves that he is a complete bastard.

...And the whip finally came in handy! One crazy parade of theories less.

CoffeeIncluded
We can't have a TPK now, we can't have a TPK now...

Nope, not helping. Still scared about what comes next.

hagnat
2013-11-10, 04:58 PM
when they finally got the upperhand

wow... just... wow...

[edit]
and apparently Elan was right
shish kebab is their family special

Tvtyrant
I <3 Tarquin right now. I still think he is either a swordsage or a Factotum.

Arcran
Well, damn. Hopefully Durkon can get some Protection up, or else he's done for.

Thrain15
2013-11-10, 04:59 PM
Tarquin, cold and tactical just like I like him.

Gift Jeraff
Looks like Roy and Elan are blood-brothers now.

Dramatic stabbing is something Elan's family reserves for fellow relatives so, yeah, I'd say it's official now.

Bedinsis
No! Durkon!

No! Roy!

Help them Haley!

Icalasari
I cannot think of a way for them to come back from this

Their cleric is likely about to die

Roy looks like he's about to die

Elan is heavily wounded

Belkar is pretty much down for the count

All I can think of is if the demoness (gah I can't recall her name right now) comes back and kicks some ass, OR if something comes out of the portal and ****s up Tarquin's team

Or if Xykon appears. That would also do the trick

lukewarm
Has Tarquin still not used the dagger since stabbing Nale? He almost deliberately avoids it in this one.
Why is the whip glowing as he releases it?

Lathund
2013-11-10, 05:00 PM
2000 gp says the next comic title is 'The'.

SparowCrow

It's probably magical and its glowing the same color as the psionics

Sriseru
:smalleek: Damn... I wonder how the Order is going to get out of this one.

Raykura
2013-11-10, 05:01 PM
Oh. My. Gosh. Yeah, here's hoping Durkon can get protection up or borrow V's robes or SOMETHING. Also, we haven't seen what's happened to Haley yet, so maybe there's hope.

Tsyndrome
That... turned out poorly.

RMS Oceanic

I'm sure he cast the spell in that panel: Otherwise he'd be smoking in the panel he collides with Vaarsuvius.

Oh, he is smoking. Welp! :smalleek:

Talk about making Roy's death personal. Seems the only one unaccounted for in that panel is Haley. Could she give us a reprieve?

Saph
Ow. That looks like it hurt.

CoffeeIncluded
Haley's still unaccounted for, but that still doesn't make things much better. I really have no idea how they're going to come back from this one except that I know that they have to somehow.

JRMacIntyre
eep. I wonder how they'll get out of this - it doesn't seem to be getting any better!

Everyl
2013-11-10, 05:02 PM
All I can think of is if the demoness (gah I can't recall her name right now) comes back and kicks some ass...

Sabine is still banished for something like 20 more hours. She is physically incapable of returning in that time.

Ron Miel
Looks like Durkon is in real trouble.

Agnostik
and apparently Elan was right
shish kebab is their family special
Hah! :smallamused:

TaiLiu
Oh, my. That's quite a blow!

Vedhin
Has Tarquin still not used the dagger since stabbing Nale? He almost deliberately avoids it in this one.

It's the same glow as Laurin's powers, so I'd say she's telekinesising it or something.

Private-Prinny

Laurin is holding it telekinetically to keep V grappled.

lukewarm
I'm sure he cast the spell in that panel: Otherwise he'd be smoking in the panel he collides with Vaarsuvius.

Talk about making Roy's death personal. Seems the only one unaccounted for in that panel is Haley. Could she give us a reprieve?

Yeah, he's smoking in the panel he collides with Vaarsuvius.

Ellye
2013-11-10, 05:03 PM
Haley's still unaccounted for, but that still doesn't make things much better. I really have no idea how they're going to come back from this one except that I know that they have to somehow.Or not, perhaps this is how OotS end.

... Okay, probably not. Really, it isn't. Right? Please? :smalleek:

Gryps2
2013-11-10, 05:03 PM
I imagine the whip is glowing because Laurin is telekinetically holding it for Tarquin while he takes care of business.

Porthos
2013-11-10, 05:04 PM
That's...

That's some cold blooded behavior right there! :smalleek:

The Giant

It's Laurin taking the whip using telekinesis; Tarquin instructed her to keep the casters down in the prior panel and she's doing so partly by grabbing the whip that is around V's throat. I just didn't have room to show her in panel 7 without shrinking the rest of the art down smaller than I would have liked. I didn't want to cheat anyone on Belkar-being-punted action.

DaggerPen
How on earth did we get to two pages already? The comic like just went up within the past 5 minutes.

Regardless-

Oh

My

God

I literally just clapped my hand over my mouth and screamed, because holy ****. Chekhov's whip indeed, but I just. Wow.

Lateral
Eh. No X's in Roy's eyes, he'll live.

Seerow
Haley's still unaccounted for, but that still doesn't make things much better. I really have no idea how they're going to come back from this one except that I know that they have to somehow.

Yeah. I can almost see a way out for everyone else... but Durkon is a vampire who just lost his protection from sunlight. We saw from Malak once that happens, he gets one action. Which he just used and failed in recasting his protection.

But yet, it seems like such a waste for Durkon to die again so soon, before we ever really leave the constant chaos that the strip has been since he was vamped. We were told by the Giant that the plan was always to vamp Durkon to give him some character development. What character development has there been thus far? None.

So there's gotta be a big turnaround twist right around the corner, but heck if I can even try to guess what it is.

Vedhin
Or not, perhaps this is how OotS end.

... Okay, probably not. Really, it isn't? Right? Please? :smalleek:

Hey, the next two books could be the story of their ghosts rising from their unhallowed graves/whatever Tarquin does to prevent rezzing and setting of to stop Xykon so they can rest in peace.

Seto
2013-11-10, 05:05 PM
Wow... Things are looking pretty bad. At the same time, I like Tarquin's mastery. Can't wait for the next !

AstralFire
2013-11-10, 05:07 PM
Yeah. I can almost see a way out for everyone else... but Durkon is a vampire who just lost his protection from sunlight. We saw from Malak once that happens, he gets one action. Which he just used and failed in recasting his protection.

But yet, it seems like such a waste for Durkon to die again so soon, before we ever really leave the constant chaos that the strip has been since he was vamped. We were told by the Giant that the plan was always to vamp Durkon to give him some character development. What character development has there been thus far? None.

So there's gotta be a big turnaround twist right around the corner, but heck if I can even try to guess what it is.

Notice how dark the sky backdrop is at the moment compared to when Malack was dusted.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-11-10, 05:08 PM
Notice how dark the sky backdrop is at the moment compared to when Malack was dusted.

I was about to say that. And I think the sky seems darker than even the last comic--give me a moment to go check.

And if the sun goes down and Durkon's safe, there's no way Laurin's beating him in a grappling contest.

EDIT: The sky color in this comic is d9a37eff. The sky color in 928 is e4ad84ff. The sky has visibly darkened over the course of one strip. Durkon MAY be okay.

pyrefiend
2013-11-10, 05:08 PM
So Im guessing, Haley saves the day? I don't know.

Michaeler
2013-11-10, 05:09 PM
Big mistake.

Never stab a guy in front of his girlfriend.

Jiggs
2013-11-10, 05:09 PM
I wonder how many fans Tarquin has left in the forum after this stunt?

DaggerPen
2013-11-10, 05:10 PM
Anyway, given that we haven't seen Haley yet and she has UMD (IIRC?) - can she grab Durkon's staff and cast Protection from Daylight on him?

Ron Miel

It's probably magical and its glowing the same color as the psionics

I don't think the whip is magical in itself. But Tarquin told Laurin to "keep these two down" so I think she's using her powers on the whip to tie them up.

The psionic equivalent to Elan's animate rope (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0156.html)bard spell?

Edit - ninja'd multiple times, including The Giant himself.

Chaingun
I would really like the next three spoken words in this comic to be "SNEAK ATTACK, BITCH!"

Gorbad Ironclaw
It's sorta mindblowing that every comic since 834 has been just one day. Also, I think the orders kinda screwed.

afbourque
So next comic? Three words: "Sneak Attack, bastard!"?

Plus two words, hyphenated: "Multi-shot!"

Please?

Or is she out of arrows?

EDIT: Also, Durkon gets new spells at dusk, if the darker backgrounds mean anything . . .

Knight.Anon
Looks like its up to Mr. Scruffy and Haley now.

Porthos
2013-11-10, 05:11 PM

I see what you did there. :smallamused:

Grimly Feendish
Didn't Malack cast protection from sunlight on Durkon as well as having it on the staff? Or did that cease to be active when he died?

DaggerPen

... HA.

Just as long as 931 isn't "Rift."

A Tad Insane
2013-11-10, 05:12 PM
ohsnapohsnapohsnapohsnapohsnapohsnapohsnapohsnapoh snapohsnapohsnapohsnapohsnapohsnapohsnapohsnap
*inhales*
Now that I got that out of my system, I wonder how the order could possible come out of this. V is being strangled by a psionic whip, our favorite vampire is learning the cost of that level adjustment, Belkar is somewhere between 1 hp and -3, and Roy probably doesn't have to many hp himself, either. The only one unaccounted for is Haley, who could get a round of sneak attack damage, or... I'm not really sure.

The order really needs to upgrade their plot armor, maybe they should find some kenders and take theirs.

Mono Vertigo
CraaaaaaaAAAAAAAAP
… "Rift"...!

FrankNorman
Durkon will survive this.
Remember the prophecy?

Paseo H
The interesting thing here is not the danger to the party. Durkon's guaranteed to live because of his prophecy. Belkar may or may not live, but that's according to plan. V has to live so that he can be the proverbial albatross around the party's neck. Roy's died once already, Elan's obviously going to live, and I doubt Elan would get over it if Haley died.

No, the interesting part of this strip, which is what keeps me reading, is seeing the cold blooded evil of Tarquin.

Also, lol at anyone who thought that Laurin was anything other than evil. Nobody who loves Malack sincerely can be anything but evil.

lukewarm
2013-11-10, 05:13 PM
I was about to say that. And I think the sky seems darker than even the last comic--give me a moment to go check.

And if the sun goes down and Durkon's safe, there's no way Laurin's beating him in a grappling contest.

EDIT: The sky color in this comic is d9a37eff. The sky color in 928 is e4ad84ff. The sky has visibly darkened over the course of one strip. Durkon MAY be okay.

ooo, and suddenly the low-hanging sun in the 928 has greater significance.

Bedinsis

Also note the little smoke trails coming from Durkon when swinged around by Tarquin.

My guess:

Haley flies down letting her shadow cover Durkon while shooting arrows at Tarquin and/or Laurin. Though there is no shadows in this webcomic.

RMS Oceanic
I've just made a completely baseless connection that won't probably amount to anything.

#829: Tsukiko looks like she's maneuvered Redcloak into a corner
#830: In a multipage comic, Redcloak turns it around and completely defeats her.
#929: Tarquin looks like he's maneuvered the Order into a corner
#930: ???

Hey, a guy can dream. :smalltongue:

Samalpetey
It's Laurin taking the whip using telekinesis; Tarquin instructed her to keep the casters down in the prior panel and she's doing so partly by grabbing the whip that is around V's throat. I just didn't have room to show her in panel 7 without shrinking the rest of the art down smaller than I would have liked. I didn't want to cheat anyone on Belkar-being-punted action.

Ah, thanks for letting me know

Pesimismrocks
2013-11-10, 05:14 PM
Looks like its up to Mr. Scruffy and Haley now.

What about Blackwing and Bloodfeast the extremeinator?

hagnat
2013-11-10, 05:15 PM
... HA.

Just as long as 931 isn't "Rift."

i would bet on "Choppa"

Falcon777
Personally I don't think Haley is enough to go 1v1 versus either of them, but if she were to break Laurin's concentration then V and Haley might be able to take down Laurin, but I got nothing on Tarquin. I don't see how they're getting out of this one.

Welf
Mr. T does not fool around, you fool.

Bovine Colonel
2013-11-10, 05:16 PM
i would bet on "Choppa"

"Go through the choppa"? :smalleek: Wouldn't that be painful?

Leirus
2013-11-10, 05:17 PM
Had Elan any illusion left? None that would fool Tarkin, I guess. Maybe it is the moment for the other chekov weapons to show up... the wands Haley stole from Z.

Chantelune
I wonder how many fans Tarquin has left in the forum after this stunt?

He just ran Elan through with Roy's own sword. I like him even more than before. :smallbiggrin:

Hope Durkon is alive. Him dying now, so soon after being vamped and knowing the Giant planed for this change for so long doesn't feel right indeed. I noticed the sky being darker, so might mean that he'll get a couple more round than Malack did and somehow find a way to either recast the spell or hide from the sun.

Still, guess it's up to Haley to save the day, hopefully, she'll be smart instead of just acting on her feelings like during the bounty hunters ambush. If Durkon die now, then they really might be screwed. If he live, he should be able to resurect Roy as long as they can either win this fight or flee with a bit of his body, if things go that much souther. :smalleek:

ShurikVch
What combat maneuver is that?
Probably, Cometh Throw

All I can think of is if the demoness (gah I can't recall her name right now) comes back and kicks some ass, OR if something comes out of the portal and ****s up Tarquin's team

Or if Xykon appears. That would also do the trick Or all this noise lure in a sandworm

Seems the only one unaccounted for in that panel is Haley. Also Blackwing and Mr. Scruffy :smallamused:

RMS Oceanic
Didn't Malack cast protection from sunlight on Durkon as well as having it on the staff? Or did that cease to be active when he died?

What Laurin dispelled was Malack's original casting of the spell. Not that she knew that, I think she's assuming Durkon cast it from the staff.

Kaulguard
Should I be concerned that the last two strips, when taken together, are named "Go" and "Through"? Hrm...

Chaingun
2013-11-10, 05:18 PM
On reflection, I'd like to see Elan be the one to kill Tarquin. It might be the final stage of his growing-up process.

Ivrytwr
Oh, no! <Covers eyes/>
"Is this the end for our adventurers?"
Where are Haley and Mr. Scruffy? Will they save the day?
Tarquin is not getting a card for Father's Day next year.

AstralFire
How they're going to make it through:

There's no way Laurin can do anything while holding V and Durkon down besides quickened powers, and I doubt she has any quickened powers that will keep Haley from giving her a pretty lethal concentration check.

That saves the casters.

As a DM, though Elan took a pretty bad crit here, I'd say he probably acted as some sort of DR (since evidently not cover or concealment) for Roy. I think Roy's pretty much out of the fight, but it slowed Tarquin's killing time. Belkar's still in a position to assist, as is Baleful Poly'd Bloodfeastmachine or whatever he called it. (Pistachios was better.)

Gift Jeraff
2013-11-10, 05:19 PM
Tarquin is going to have to strike one more time to get the job done, so he tells Laurin to let Durkon unlive, since Elan might need a resurrection. As he strikes, the green glow activates, giving him a shock in his hand, causing him to drop the Greenhilt sword, because it turns out he's undead.

Castamir
2013-11-10, 05:20 PM
The sun is far from setting (it doesn't even touch the horizon yet in 928), so it can't possibly set all the way in a single round. Having V wriggling atop of Durkon block enough sun would be probably cheating.

Only chance I see right now is Haley grabbing the staff and UMDing it. Which merely allows Durkon to survive his next round, without doing anything to solve the tactical situation.

The excrement has hit the fan hard.

Kaulguard
2013-11-10, 05:21 PM

No bet, nope, nuh-uh.

TheMojoJockey
2013-11-10, 05:21 PM
Noooo Belkar! I mean uh... Roy...

lukewarm
2013-11-10, 05:22 PM
The sun is far from setting (it doesn't even touch the horizon yet in 928), so it can't possibly set all the way in a single round. Having V wriggling atop of Durkon block enough sun would be probably cheating.

Only chance I see right now is Haley grabbing the staff and UMDing it. Which merely allows Durkon to survive his next round, without doing anything to solve the tactical situation.

The excrement has hit the fan hard.

Remember Nale had to tear off Malak's clothes to expose him.

factotum
2013-11-10, 05:23 PM
Well, Roy's definitely not dead--no Xs in his eyes. The one with the real problem right now is Durkon, since his Protection from Daylight spell has been dispelled and he wasn't able to cast it again due to getting V in the small of his back. Don't really see what the get-out-of-jail-free card for the Order is at this point...

Majiy
2013-11-10, 05:24 PM
Wow... just wow.

And very much expecting the next panel ;)

Havokca
2013-11-10, 05:27 PM

Nah… he'll be fine… he's totally protected from the sun by the shade being provided by a choking V :smallwink:

Chess Tyrant
SHTHTHNK: another entry to our list of great sound effects.

SmartAlec

I'll take that bet; I'll bet it'll be 'Me'.

Knight.Anon
2013-11-10, 05:28 PM
Maybe Tarquin will have a heart attack?

I kind of feel that its good that Durkon is in the fight at least now. Maybe Haley can save him with another smoke arrow? Hopefully the sunlight isn't direct enough to make a difference now.

BrometheusJones
Tarquin is so badass.

konradknox
Ok here's how it's gonna go down next.

1. Haley sneak attacks Laurin, Laurin drops concentration on the whip.
2. Durkon recovers and casts protection from fire.
3. Vaarsuvius recovers and locks down Laurin or somehow wards the OOTS from her further influence.
4. Elan casts a subtle illusion of Roy's eyes being Xs, i.e. Roy dying.
5. Tarquin does his big bad speech and leaves.
6. Roy wakes up, saved by Elan.

And the strips will be named for Elan's plan like so:

Go
Through
With
The
Plan

Havokca
2013-11-10, 05:30 PM
Ok here's how it's gonna go down next.

1. Haley sneak attacks Laurin, Laurin drops concentration on the whip.
2. Durkon recovers and casts protection from fire.
3. Vaarsuvius recovers and locks down Laurin or somehow wards the OOTS from her further influence.
4. Elan casts a subtle illusion of Roy's eyes being Xs, i.e. Roy dying.
5. Tarquin does his big bad speech and leaves.
6. Roy wakes up, saved by Elan.

And the strips will be named for Elan's plan like so:

Go
Through
Me

I like this.

EDIT: Though I liked it more before you edited it. When it read:

Go
Through
With
The
Plan

Chantelune
Remember Nale had to tear off Malak's clothes to expose him.

I wouldn't say he had to, he was already fuming and dying with his robe. Tearing it open was mostly removing any partial sun cover that it might grant Malack and probably hasten his demise that much more, but I frankly doubt he would have any more than another round before dying anyway.

Also, regarding the strip titles lately, it does feel like it will lead to "go through the rift", but how long did the order ran away on the allosaurus before team T catching up ? Aren't they a fair distance of it by now, making it not so much of an easy escape option ? Especially if there's still the army lingering around.

Somehow, i can't really see how the order could be close enough to just hop through the rift right now in a swift escape. :smallconfused:

Ellye
Tarquin has a ring of True Seeing.

Sir_Leorik
:smalleek: Uh oh. Things have just gone south in a hurry!

And I couldn't help but notice that the title to this strip and the last seem like they're spelling something out...

Heksefatter
2013-11-10, 05:32 PM
A powerful reminder of how frightening and competent Tarquin can be when the gloves are off.

Matt620
2013-11-10, 05:32 PM
Maybe it's just the Z fanboy in me, but I'm rather fond of the fact that Durkon is (possibly) killed in the same way Z killed Malack.

It would have been cooler if Miron did it it, and Laurin dealt with V instead. I like Laurin, but she's doing everything. Maybe he could Teleport back and bring Haley down, since nothing happened to her yet.

Havokca
2013-11-10, 05:33 PM
Tarquin has a ring of True Seeing.

We don't know if he's still wearing it. He seems to have completely shrugged off a number of effects, which have caused some people to speculate that he swapped it out for another ring.

ThePhantasm
Tarquin has underestimated both Belkar and Haley, the latter on several occasions. Big mistake.

t209
Now Roy can't make half sylph babies after encounter with Tarquin.::smalltongue:

DamonKashu
2013-11-10, 05:34 PM
any chance Girard swoops in to save the day?

how will they get out of this one otherwise?

Canisius
2013-11-10, 05:34 PM
I don't know if we're still 'sposed to Spoiler predictions, but whaddaya bet that the next two strips will be titled "The" and "Rift"?

Havokca
2013-11-10, 05:35 PM
I don't know if we're still 'sposed to Spoiler predictions, but whaddaya bet that the next two strips will be titled "The" and "Gate"?

The gate went boom twenty or thirty strips ago.

BrometheusJones
Roy has to be dead by now... how many HPs does can he actually have left at this point? I mean he should have logically been dead 10 seconds after being impaled by a giant spike (dinosaur horn) and then having it removed. You know, from massive uncontrollable blood loss.

Giggling Ghast
Stabbing two sons in one day! That's gotta be a record of some kind.

I'll take that bet.

My gold is on "Me."

Iranon
Looks like a close relative went for the liver, again. Man, that has to smart.

ThePhantasm
I very much doubt they will go through the rift. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Bovine Colonel
2013-11-10, 05:36 PM
Roy has to be dead by now... how many HPs does can he actually have left at this point? I mean he should have logically been dead 10 seconds after being impaled by a giant spike (dinosaur horn) and then having it removed. You know, from massive uncontrollable blood loss.

Remember his battle with Thog?

David Argall
I've just made a completely baseless connection that won't probably amount to anything.

#829: Tsukiko looks like she's maneuvered Redcloak into a corner
#830: In a multipage comic, Redcloak turns it around and completely defeats her.
#929: Tarquin looks like he's maneuvered the Order into a corner
#930: ???

Hey, a guy can dream.

You can do more than dream. You can count on it. Now it may not be 930, or even 931, but the Order being currently down, that means an up is coming.
How is more of a problem. My own guess is looking rather unlikely, but I don't like the idea of some outside rescue. Now Haley will be doing something, but she doesn't look like the big hero of the moment.

On other points, Durkon is going to survive. He has the oracle's prediction to protect him. Elan has less total hp than Roy, but he presumably has more than an injured Roy. So passive defense is not going to cut it.

Canisius
The gate went boom twenty or thirty strips ago.

Yeah, I just edited it to say "Rift" instead of "Gate". Rift is still there, looking out over sky-blue waters..

TroubleBrewing
any chance Girard swoops in to save the day?

Considering Haley ended up elbow-deep in his nether regions not too long ago, I'd say this is the longest of shots.

HeeJay
:smalleek: Oh. My.

This was my reaction. (http://starwarsnoooos.ytmnd.com/)

My guess: Haley uses a wand taken from Z to cast Darkness on Durkon.

Zubzub
2013-11-10, 05:37 PM
Durkon isnt turning to dust anytime soon, notice how Tarq threw V on top of him when he started smoking, not to protect him obviously, but it will serve as shadow to save Durkon from the sun until dusk comes which is pretty close. I only wonder if that kick did enough damage to finish Belkar off.

Giggling Ghast
2013-11-10, 05:37 PM

I hadn't noticed this post. Strange minds think alike. :smallamused:

AstralFire
2013-11-10, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I just edited it to say "Rift" instead of "Gate". Rift is still there, looking out over sky-blue waters..

very far away.

Porthos

D&D doesn't work that way. He had no continuing hp loss after being gored.

Yeah, I know. But real people don't usually survive falls from 1000 feet, either. :smalltongue:

Scubasteve0209

I'm thinking it'll be a two work title "The Gate"

Sunken Valley
Don't worry, Roy will still be alive in the first panel of 930. Characters don't go from no X's to X's off screen. As will Durkon.

Please come soon, Elan's plan

Edit: since when can Durkon say "the"

Matt620
You can do more than dream. You can count on it. Now it may not be 930, or even 931, but the Order being currently down, that means an up is coming.
How is more of a problem. My own guess is looking rather unlikely, but I don't like the idea of some outside rescue. Now Haley will be doing something, but she doesn't look like the big hero of the moment.

On other points, Durkon is going to survive. He has the oracle's prediction to protect him. Elan has less total hp than Roy, but he presumably has more than an injured Roy. So passive defense is not going to cut it.

Bringing his ashes back to be interred would fulfill the prophecy too

Khay
Haley is grimacing in 928 as Roy is (and as Belkar isn't), so I'm guessing that means "stunned rather than just dizzy". I wouldn't count on her to do too much in this combat round.

So I'm gonna go with :smalleek: .

RMS Oceanic
2013-11-10, 05:39 PM

Logical Injuries and Hit Point systems don't see eye to eye very often. Elan has just been Aeris'd and the Sephiroth in this case has a positive prognosis for him.

Havokca

LoL, sorry about that. I was too quick with the quote button.

TroubleBrewing
Yeah, I know. But real people don't usually survive falls from 1000 feet, either. :smalltongue:

Neither did Roy. :smallconfused:

BrometheusJones
I don't know if we're still 'sposed to Spoiler predictions, but whaddaya bet that the next two strips will be titled "The" and "Rift"?

Im hoping they all do at some point. Was hoping they would have gone through to escape the guards. It seemed like the logical next move if they wanted to escape from that death trap.

Which of course is why it didnt happen :smallsmile:

Vinsfeld
Holy crap. Things are pretty surprising.

I have no idea what might happen next.

Lex-Kat
2013-11-10, 05:40 PM
On reflection, I'd like to see Elan be the one to kill Tarquin. It might be the final stage of his growing-up process.

I'd rather see Scruffy do it. Tarquin doesn't deserve an epic death scene, where his last words and vision are of his son "growing up".

ThePhantasm
2013-11-10, 05:40 PM
We know Durkon will survive, as he still has to return to the Dwarven lands. My thoughts are that Haley and Belkar, both underestimated by Tarquin, will save the day.

Dandria
2013-11-10, 05:41 PM
Ahahah, oh man, this was awesome! I love the way you managed to make Tarquin a terrible threat but at the same time an enemy with weaknesses and exploitable flaws: the fact that the Order had a shot at defeating this team makes their defeat a lot more terrifying.

Shatteredtower
I didn't want to cheat anyone on Belkar-being-punted action.
While I'm used to seeing him suffer indignity, I don't think I've ever seen him so thoroughly dismissed in the process -- not even when he was completely outclassed by Malack. I'm impressed that he was still able to walk, moreso that he actually tried walking toward the enemy in his condition.

It's not hard to tell how this must feel for Elan, but I'm trying to consider Roy's point of view. How's he going to react, knowing that Elan tried to use his body as a shield against Roy? What impact, if any, will this have on how he perceives his relationship with Eugene, as well as how he conducts himself in it? Seeing what Tarquin's willing to do to his sons offers another perspective to such relationships.

The only member of the group currently not accounted for is Haley, so I see why people think it's up to her to save the day. It's a pity she can't take advantage of a flank provided by both Elan and Roy right now. One other way out of this suggests itself to me, but it doesn't involve Haley and I strongly doubt it could work:

This would be one of those times that Elan would know which illusion would best serve to distract his father. Unfortunately, most illusions are useless against the ring Tarquin wears.

Gift Jeraff
Maybe Blackwing can poop on Tarquin, ruining the scene.

BrometheusJones
2013-11-10, 05:43 PM
Logical Injuries and Hit Point systems don't see eye to eye very often. Elan has just been Aeris'd and the Sephiroth in this case has a positive prognosis for him.

True. But wouldnt being impaled carry a substantial HP lose within the context of D&D rules regardless?

I raised an eyebrow that someone could survive that after being, I dunno, half dead or something already?

Canisius
2013-11-10, 05:43 PM
At least Rich cleared up the fact that Durkon at least knows how to cast "Protection from Sunlight" out of Malack's staff. Or thinks he does. So, assuming that the whip-slam was in the same round as Laurin's dispelling, our hardy dwarf has one more round to try to coax the spell out. Unless some shade appears.

I do like how Rich has drawn TT as very competent in this strip. They're higher level than the OOTS, and it started to look like the Order was going to be able to go head-to-head. Nope.

One thing I hope is that at some point in the future Tarquin gets to meet Xykon. "Side-quest" indeed...

Porthos
2013-11-10, 05:44 PM
Neither did Roy. :smallconfused:

If he had been at full HP he would have. :smalltongue: It would have 'only' been 20d6 damage, which Roy should be able to eat most days if at full.

NOTE: O-Chul did. :smallwink:

Slithy a Kobold

She only disabled the staff DOES NO ON REMEMBER HE HAS IT ON HIMSELF????

CrispyCriminal
Sheesh, this'll be a long week of suspenseful page checking before the next strip comes out.

Elan did take most of the damage from that stab right? Or do greatswords negate any reduction from body mass.

BrometheusJones
2013-11-10, 05:45 PM
Remember his battle with Thog?

Well I remember reading it... its not like I memorized it, though.

Speaking of Thog and highly unlikely events occurring as common happenstance, I sure hope he makes an epic come back at some point...

... well, as epic as could be expected from 3 int points.

Bovine Colonel
2013-11-10, 05:45 PM

I'd assume that's why smoke lines are coming out of him :smallconfused:

Ted The Bug
2013-11-10, 05:46 PM
Oh, look, it's the ROY-KILLER.

Tired from a long day of KILLING ROYS?

AnonBlogger
2013-11-10, 05:46 PM
Haley to the rescue?

Jelissei
2013-11-10, 05:47 PM
Durkon tries to cast Protection from Sun and then gets interruptet by V landing on his back.

Can he just try to cast it again (when Haley shoots arrows at Laurin)? Or is the spell gone ones you tried to cast it?
I dont know the rules for it...

Bisqwit
2013-11-10, 05:47 PM
Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Canisius
2013-11-10, 05:48 PM
Personally I don't think Haley is enough to go 1v1 versus either of them, but if she were to break Laurin's concentration then V and Haley might be able to take down Laurin, but I got nothing on Tarquin. I don't see how they're getting out of this one.

"Deus ex.. " (Canisius is collectively slapped by the GITP forum).

Bird
2013-11-10, 05:48 PM
My guess: Haley uses a wand taken from Z to cast Darkness on Durkon.
I like that idea.

No; she didn't disable the staff. She dispelled the protection from Durkon himself. Notice that her dweomer is surrounding Durkon. He's trying to recast the spell to protect himself (notice the staff glowing grey with his dweomer) before he gets smacked with V.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-11-10, 05:49 PM
And...yeah. I'd like to point out, the squishy caster had to walk up to HIM! He has in fact literally been standing around this whole time doing nothing, watching his best friend get skewered over and over.

Oh, but "if he draws notice, they'll dispel him!" eh? Yeah, look how that turned out. Shockingly, Tarquin and Laurin aren't stupid enough to not consider a vampire cleric a danger, even if he's played the most cold hearted game of possum I've ever seen.

Good riddance at this point. What a colossal jackass.

SaintRidley
2013-11-10, 05:49 PM

#930 The
#931 Rift

Porthos
2013-11-10, 05:50 PM
True. But wouldnt being impaled carry a substantial HP lose within the context of D&D rules regardless?

I raised an eyebrow that someone could survive that after being, I dunno, half dead or something already?

D&D does have a system for continuing loss of HPs over rounds....

.... But it's a special attack/spell/whatever that is somewhat rare.

The triceratop hit was a 'normal' type hit that was shown dramatically as being gored.

Honestly, if we're gonna bring in things like blood loss and stamina from continuing fighting and what not, D&D would explode in a puff of illogic within the first 20 minutes of play.

Best not to think about it too closely (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BellisariosMaxim) and just accept it on it's own terms. :smallwink:

Demidos
Haley frees V. V uses "hand" spell to push them all through Rift.

Yup. My prediction.

Kish
I'd assume that's why smoke lines are coming out of him :smallconfused:
She did not disable the staff. She dispelled the spell from Durkon. If he gets a standard action before he burns up, he can recast it on himself.

It is unlikely, but not completely impossible, that Durkon will cease being a vampire here (either to be resurrected or to be left dead), Rich's storyline plans for Durkon fulfilled with having him kill Zz'dtri and be briefly an undead ally to the rest of the Order. But the next few strips have to have a big turnaround of some kind, and most likely Vampire Durkon will unlive through it.

Leirus

No, she disabled the one he had on him. That is why he is smoking. And he can definetly cast it from the staff, as it was reacting with black magic energy when Durkon started the spell.

Dark Archon
2013-11-10, 05:52 PM
Well, I hope the "Team Tarquin should walk all over the Order" crowd are satisfied now.
We are. That's what you got fighting something way over your head and competent.
Of course, now nothing short of Deus Machina able to save the day. Really looking forward to see what's going to happen.

RabidEel
And...yeah. I'd like to point out, the squishy caster had to walk up to HIM! He has in fact literally been standing around this whole time doing nothing, watching his best friend get skewered over and over.

Oh, but "if he draws notice, they'll dispel him!" eh? Yeah, look how that turned out. Shockingly, Tarquin and Laurin aren't stupid enough to not consider a vampire cleric a danger, even if he's played the most cold hearted game of possum I've ever seen.

Good riddance at this point. What a colossal jackass.

Remember, he's only been a vampire for a few hours. He might not have all his new abilities at his fingertips the way he knew his cleric spells.

Canisius
I very much doubt they will go through the rift. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Agreed. I'm curious how it will play out, though. They're already a few leagues past the rift. Maybe Rich is toying with us? ... Nah....

Paseo H
So yeah, anyone care to argue that Laurin is not in this as deep as Tarquin and the others?

By which I mean, Laurin must be a monster, her love for her daughter aside.

pendell
2013-11-10, 05:53 PM
Wow, things look terrible for our heroes. Durkon is close to evaporating in the sun, Vaarsuvius is down ....

... all the same I have to hand it to the Giant. Tarquin's line? "You'll live"?

As terrible as the situation is, I have to admit that is just a frickin' AWESOME one-liner. It's like something the Terminator would say.

Actually ... he did (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcUH3Emt7nM).

I am feeling a lot better about this arc. Even if it is taking a long time it is still bringing the awesome.

Laurin's effortless dispatch of Durkula shows me WHY Durkula was hanging back. That's a one round kill. I have no idea how he's going to survive that.

So that means things should turn around for our heroes in 3...2...1...?

But how will this work? How will they get out of this one ?

As far as I can see , the only member of the Order still functional is Haley ... and our wildcards, Ian and Miron. They may be somewhere around and that Chekhov's gun hasn't fired yet.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Haleth
2013-11-10, 05:53 PM
So, Durkon is exposed to sunlight, Belkar seems down for the count, and Elan and Roy have been turned into a shish-kabob (dangit Roy, don't die AGAIN!). Vaarsuvius might recover in a short period of time, but Roy is getting killed NOW. Long story short, this doesn't look good for the Order.

Also, if we had any lingering doubts about Tarquin being a merciless Evil jerk they're dispelled now.

EDIT: I forgot Haley. What's she doing???

BrometheusJones
2013-11-10, 05:54 PM
Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Most bestest anti-climactic ending ever.

In some far off, distant super remote reality... that will happen in 930.

RMS Oceanic
2013-11-10, 05:54 PM

Only if the DM rules so.

I don't think Roy has been half dead since Durkon accidentally inflicted him: He's been dazed, winded, stunned and/or psionically locked down at different times, but not on negative hitpoints. I still don't think he looks as bad as Nale was after his penultimate injury from Durkon, and Roy most likely has a higher constitution than Nale.

Surfing HalfOrc
2013-11-10, 05:55 PM
I haven't been this stunned since Roy hit the ground...

Silva Stormrage

Yup. My prediction.

They are so far away from the rift and so spread out no hand spell will be able to do that. And even then hand spells usually can't push someone farther than they can run.

Haley will probably need to do something to free Durkon and V though, my guess is darkness/blacklight (Seems reasonable for a drow's wand) and then Durkon sunders the whip.

Kish

Yup. My prediction.
That'd be quite a throw. If Vaarsuvius has a Bugsby's Hand spell that's that strong, he should use it to swat Laurin and her friend like bugs.

Paseo H
He's going to survive because some "psychic interior decorator who broke bad" isn't going to make a liar out of Odin.

CrispyCriminal
So yeah, anyone care to argue that Laurin is not in this as deep as Tarquin and the others?

Well sure she's a monster, she's playing a harsh game to give her daughter a well lived lifestyle in interior designing. Passion and fashion are the cornerstones of a true monster...just look at Tarquin.

isleofredemptio
Okay, so... Team Tarquin just gets a few rounds to wail on the party. Laurin actually got TWO rounds before Durkon could even act. I don't know what sort of Psionic attack she used- if it stunned the entire party, Durkon included- for a round, but... this is just getting painful to watch.

If the Order is gonna die right now, then kill them. If they're gonna win, then cut them a bloody BREAK already.

DigoDragon
2013-11-10, 05:56 PM
Dang Tarquin, now that's style! :smallbiggrin:

DolGrenn
2013-11-10, 05:56 PM

"-and I know how to dispel its protections.'

Panel 4 shows Laurin dispelling Durkon's Protection from Daylight. Note the yellow glow around him, not the staff. Also see the smoke coming off of him in panel 5. This is why his staff is glowing black in panel 4, as he is casting Protection from Daylight once more on himself, from the staff. Which is not disabled, only its protections.

Bird
2013-11-10, 05:57 PM
"psychic interior decorator who broke bad"

*chuckle*

*limitdance

Slithy a Kobold
2013-11-10, 05:58 PM
Oh, look, it's the ROY-KILLER.

Tired from a long day of KILLING ROYS?

You had to make that joke

TheMutant
2013-11-10, 05:58 PM
I'm guessing it's not 'The Rift' that's forthcoming- haven't they just spent a while running away from it a-dinoback? There's no way they could get back there in time in the party's condition. Vaarsuvius banned Conjuration, didn't he/she?

And I agree that Durkon won't get dusted here- yeah, you could interpret the prophecy as just his ashes coming back to his home to be interred, but not from here- how on earth would you pick out Durkon's crispy ashes from the rest of the sand?

Porthos
2013-11-10, 05:59 PM
If they're gonna win, then cut them a bloody BREAK already.

You mean like getting Miron out of the battle? That wasn't a break? :smalltongue:

Lossoth
2013-11-10, 05:59 PM
This is amazing. I don't often read weekly-published episodic comics, and I joined this fandom in the middle of this latest book, so this is like the first time I've ever had to wait week after week for such a dramatic moment to play out. It's terrific torture. Keep it coming. :smallfurious::smallbiggrin:

Tvtyrant
2013-11-10, 06:00 PM
Okay, so... Team Tarquin just gets a few rounds to wail on the party. Laurin actually got TWO rounds before Durkon could even act. I don't know what sort of Psionic attack she used- if it stunned the entire party, Durkon included- for a round, but... this is just getting painful to watch.

If the Order is gonna die right now, then kill them. If they're gonna win, then cut them a bloody BREAK already.

She was probably using Schism, which allows you to use an extra standard action but only for manifesting powers. Probably mental disruption.

Dark Archon
2013-11-10, 06:01 PM
how on earth would you pick out Durkon's crispy ashes from the rest of the sand?
It's not like you can't just take most of the ash together with sand... Still counts as burial, by me.

Canisius

Dramatic tension, though! This is why serials are so successful. "Tune in next week to see how Batman and Robin get out of Burgess Meredith's evil torture device!"

Gorky

Eitther that or "The Rift"

StreamOfTheSky
2013-11-10, 06:02 PM

I don't know why you people keep insisting durkon's been "doing stuff" when the evidence couldn't be more blatant that he's just been standing there, pretending he can't help at all.

Remember, he's only been a vampire for a few hours. He might not have all his new abilities at his fingertips the way he knew his cleric spells.

You mean like the power to use his now massive str score to crack people in the face with a 2-handed staff?

Or the power to dominate enemies (even if it only has a 5% chance of working, that's better than standing around doing NOTHING)?

The things he's been doing in the strips just prior to this boss fight?

LuisDantas
2013-11-10, 06:03 PM
You know, I keep being surprised by how skillful the Giant is at portraying physical conflict in a line comic. The storytelling in #929 was incredible. Reminds me of how well-written the Marlack / Durkon fight was a few months ago.

And boy... is Tarquin a world-class bastard. That was cold, so very cold of him. I wonder if he expects Elan to ever forgive him.

And, where is Haley? We saw her in the last panel of #928. She can't be very far away.

Canisius
2013-11-10, 06:03 PM
I'm guessing it's not 'The Rift' that's forthcoming- haven't they just spent a while running away from it a-dinoback? There's no way they could get back there in time in the party's condition. Vaarsuvius banned Conjuration, didn't he/she?

Exactly. I almost think that Rich is teasing the forum folks who've insisted that the only way out is through the Rift.

ThePhantasm
2013-11-10, 06:04 PM
I agree that Durkon has been doing zilch when it seems he could be doing more. I don't know WHY he's not been doing anything though. He still seems kinda hollow, like he's still not totally all there.

Nimin
2013-11-10, 06:05 PM
If Miron could take that huge load of damage and survive there's no way Roy would die from this, expecially since his artwork damage showing isn't nearly as bad as it should for him to be killed like this.
Also Haley's still unaccounted for, I wouldn't be surprised if next strip she would make those magic wands to good use.

Kish
And boy... is Tarquin a world-class bastard. That was cold, so very cold of him. I wonder if he expects Elan to ever forgive him.
He doesn't want Elan to ever forgive him, remember? He said outright that his primary goal here was to provide Elan with motivation to come back and take him down.

dps
I only wonder if that kick did enough damage to finish Belkar off.

No Xs in his eyes, so no.

It looks like what the kick actually did was get rid of the dizzyness. My prediction is that Belkar, seeing how easily Tarquin brushed him off, goes after Laurin. He probably can't take her, even if he catches her unawares, but he can probably distract her long enough for V and Durkon to get back in action.

(I know we don't actually have to spoiler predictions anymore, but I'm used to doing it here.)

Porthos
2013-11-10, 06:06 PM
The more I think about this, the more I think Haley is going to open a can of whoop-ass via the wands she found.

Mostly because it's one of the few ways I see out of this that has already been logically set up.

Thankfully, since we have NO idea what the wands are, they can be almost anything right now.

isleofredemptio
You mean like getting Miron out of the battle? That wasn't a break? :smalltongue:

Yeah. Malak got cut off from the last Order V Guild fight, only to have them escape and heal to full capacity.
Fight after that, they killed most of the Guild, only to have them replaced by an entire ARMY.
Fight against the army, they escape on a badass dinosaur after killing a ton of soldiers and monsters... only to get immediately caught and have their dinosaur Polymorphed.
Next fight, they drive out the caster, only to have the Psion immediately shut them down, followed by Tarquin and Laurin ignore the Initiative Order in favor of a complete party beat-down.

I'll give it to the Order, they've managed to get through a lot. But now it's just getting frustrating/exhausting/unrealistic even by game standards for them to get out of this alive.

Giant, your comic is awesome, I love it, but right now it's driving me crazy.

BrometheusJones

I think theyve been getting breaks for like 928 strips or so at this point... I mean, their still alive, right?

A villain victory would be cool. But just killing them outright wouldnt be epic. It would be efficient, pragmatic, and tactically sound... but come on, now, wheres the fun in that?

Id want to see at LEAST one full strip dedicated to a rousing, tangential to the main plot, evil monologue before the OOTS final demise.

Angel Bob
GODDAMN IT TARQUIN.

Geez, I was so looking forward to seeing him taken down hard, and now the Order's the most f**ked they've been since the comic began.

...Which of course just means I want to see him taken down harder, but the situation is so bleak it's depressing.

I suppose it will be exciting to see Haley accomplish something awesome in the next strip or two, but for now I am forced to stew in a pot of dramatic tension and gnashed teeth for a week or more. Damn Tarquin....

Kish
2013-11-10, 06:07 PM
The more I think about this, the more I think Haley is going to open a can of whoop-ass via the wands she found.

Mostly because it's one of the few ways I see out of this that has already been logically set up.

Thankfully, since we have NO idea what the wands are, they can be almost anything right now.
You know...it also occurs to me that, while I unfortunately don't really expect it, she could also grab Durkon's staff and use Use Magic Device to recast Protection from Daylight on Durkon.

luc258
2013-11-10, 06:09 PM
1) Why are people so sure that Durkon "survives"? it could very well be his ashes returned to the dwarven homeland?
2) Why are people speculating about the rift? They had a dinosaur chase, they should not be close to it at the moment.

isleofredemptio
2013-11-10, 06:09 PM
GODDAMN IT TARQUIN.

Geez, I was so looking forward to seeing him taken down hard, and now the Order's the most f**ked they've been since the comic began.

...Which of course just means I want to see him taken down harder, but the situation is so bleak it's depressing.

I suppose it will be exciting to see Haley accomplish something awesome in the next strip or two, but for now I am forced to stew in a pot of dramatic tension and gnashed teeth for a week or more. Damn Tarquin....

What he said.

ThePhantasm
2013-11-10, 06:10 PM

I agree. Haley kinda deserves it anyways in this plot arc. Think about it:

1) Tarquin imprisoned her father
2) Tarquin has been underestimating Haley from the get-go, and still refuses to take her seriously. To him, she's just his hero-son's future wife. Tarquin doesn't get that he might not be Elan's nemesis, he might be HALEY'S nemesis. He's misreading her importance because he's majorly sexist.

Haley is going to come back and kick some major butt, or at least give the rest of the Order the chance to return to their feet. That's my prediction.

1dominator
2013-11-10, 06:10 PM
Go through... what?

Nimin
2013-11-10, 06:11 PM
What I don't get is how Tarquin could both attack V, grapple him AND throw him at Durkon, while Laurin attacking the entirety of the Order and still hitting Durkon personally.

Porthos
You know...it also occurs to me that, while I unfortunately don't really expect it, she could also grab Durkon's staff and use Use Magic Device to recast Protection from Daylight on Durkon.

Yep. I've seen that suggested as well.

Alternatively, if one of the wands has Darkness in it, that could work as well.

Lots of ways Conspicuously Missing Character could impact the battle in the next strip.

BrometheusJones

And, where is Haley? We saw her in the last panel of #928. She can't be very far away.

From what weve seen of Elan... what makes you think he WOULDNT forgive him?

And Haley is dead. She fell at an awkward angle and broke her neck.

ThePhantasm
1) Why are people so sure that Durkon "survives"? it could very well be his ashes returned to the dwarven homeland?

If Durkon doesn't survive this I'll eat my hat.

2.5 cats
2013-11-10, 06:12 PM
I wonder if Haley can cut the whip with an arrow...? Seems like the OOtS's best shot. (No pun intended.)

Not convinced that Roy isn't effectively dead. See the first panel of http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0437.html for an example of the moment-of-death wide eyed look.

isleofredemptio
2013-11-10, 06:12 PM
What I don't get is how Tarquin could both attack V, grapple him AND throw him at Durkon, while Laurin attacking the entirety of the Order and still hitting Durkon personally.

Exactly. Unless they suddenly skipped to 4th Edition and started using Action Points for a second...

Spacewolf
2013-11-10, 06:13 PM
Wonder how much rage there's going to be from Roy about getting stabbed with his own sword.

dps
GODDAMN IT TARQUIN.

Geez, I was so looking forward to seeing him taken down hard.

Personally, I want his to survive this fight with the OotS and eventually run up against Xykon. But I don't see that happening now. I don't see Tarquin going to Kraagor's Gate (he almost certainly doesn't know where it is, to start with), and I can't think of any reason for Xykon to ever come back to the Western continent.

ThePhantasm
I wonder if Haley can cut the whip with an arrow...? Seems like the OOtS's best shot. (No pun intended.)

Come on, now. That pun was totally intended. :smalltongue:

CrispyCriminal

Mental Disruption obviously. Mind, it makes no sense for Durkon to do nothing while Laurin walks up to him but during my time lurking the forum it's best not to get in deeper on the little details UNLESS your certain it's a clue (and even then half of them don't ever pop up again).

NihhusHuotAliro
Why does V not speak in elvish when talking with himself/herself?

Silva Stormrage
2013-11-10, 06:14 PM

She did it here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0511.html), that would be one option. However I think Lauren could still just control the rope around V's neck so I am not sure if that would work.

Gusion
2013-11-10, 06:14 PM
New comic is up.

Ass kicking goodness.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-11-10, 06:15 PM
I agree that Durkon has been doing zilch when it seems he could be doing more. I don't know WHY he's not been doing anything though. He still seems kinda hollow, like he's still not totally all there.

Well, when his own skin was on the line, he was pretty quick to act...

Ramien
2013-11-10, 06:16 PM

I'm not sure how you're getting that from her saying that Malack was her friend. We knew as much from when Nale told her he had left him out to die in the sun.

For the strip itself? Wow. Tarquin is showing off.

For the next strip, this is what I want to happen:
See this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0114.html). Replace Roy with Haley and Xykon's looking awfully son-stabby tonight...
:haley: YOU STABBED MY ELAN!

sims796
2013-11-10, 06:18 PM
Or the power to dominate enemies (even if it only has a 5% chance of working, that's better than standing around doing NOTHING)?

The things he's been doing in the strips just prior to this boss fight?

He has been doing that. Didn't you see him give them the stink-eye this whole time? He'sjust surprised it isn't working :smalltongue:

Scubasteve0209
I'm sure it's already been figured out, but I don't know. What level are Team Tarquin compared to OOTS?

Miron was casting Horrid Wilting, so he has to be at least level 15

Laudandus
Doubt the next strip will be called "the", because both "go" and "through" were cleverly something to do with the strip as well as something to do with the combined message. I'm betting the next comic is just called "the rift".

Porthos
Yeah. Malak got cut off from the last Order V Guild fight, only to have them escape and heal to full capacity.
Fight after that, they killed most of the Guild, only to have them replaced by an entire ARMY.
Fight against the army, they escape on a badass dinosaur after killing a ton of soldiers and monsters... only to get immediately caught and have their dinosaur Polymorphed.
Next fight, they drive out the caster, only to have the Psion immediately shut them down, followed by Tarquin and Laurin ignore the Initiative Order in favor of a complete party beat-down.

I'll give it to the Order, they've managed to get through a lot. But now it's just getting frustrating/exhausting/unrealistic even by game standards for them to get out of this alive.

Giant, your comic is awesome, I love it, but right now it's driving me crazy.

You want to have the Order catch a break? Here's one: They are fighting a party that outclasses them by several levels (probably) and they're all still alive.

Seems like a break to me. :smalltongue:

Gusion
Alternatively, if one of the wands has Darkness in it, that could work as well.

ding ding ding! We have a winner! At least I bet so.

A wand of darkness is just the thing you'd expect a drow elf to have. They can cast it once a day as a spell like ability and it is a super cheap wand.

Oko and Qailee
2013-11-10, 06:20 PM

I don't care how much she loves her daughter. SHe's been part of the scheme from the beginning, and odds are she has always known what Malak and Tarquin are like. Evil people can love too, doesn't make them any less evil.

Paseo H
2013-11-10, 06:20 PM
Because now nobody can argue it away that she feels strongly about a blood sucking monster who had an ambition even more horrifying than Xykon's.

Before, it was mostly words. Now she's taking action, as well as showing she's familiar with Malack more intimately (not like THAT...maybe...), being able to identify his staff at a glance.

Here's the funny thing about it though. I would think that Laurin would actually think highly of one of Malack's thralls. She must have known that he had nothing to do with his death.

BrometheusJones
2013-11-10, 06:22 PM
Why does V not speak in elvish when talking with himself/herself?

Same reason that aliens in every single show, book, movie, etc, almost without exception, speak (mostly) proper English (if they are expected to be understood by the viewer).

Clistenes
2013-11-10, 06:23 PM
Could V pull all the team through the Gate with a spell? He has already used his high level spells, I think...maybe if he pulled just Roy and Elan, the rest of the team would follow.

What about Durkula? Could he have prepared Plane Shift and use it to escape with the team (he would have to touch them all, however)? Or at least Ethereal Jaunt, to save himself, even if he leaves behind the rest of the team?

Maybe Roy could call Celia? She can cast Conjurations. She could arrive and save them all.

Or, if Roy doesn't die instantly, Elan could make a perform (drama)/bluff roll, pretend that Roy is dead, swear vengeanze against his dad, and heal Roy once Tarquin is gone.

Adeptus
2013-11-10, 06:26 PM
Noooo! Haley, turn the psion into a porcupine!

(...but I fear Haley may be out for the count again) :eek:

RMS Oceanic
It's an interesting point to note Durkon's actions, or lack thereof. Even while breathing he was never the most active character: His time with Hinjo shows that. However with the exception of his initial liberation from Malack's control where he kills Zz'drti, this passivity seems to be enhanced, not taking action or even talking much unless spoken to, ordered or attacked. I'm reminded of a scene in a Magic The Gathering novel where someone has been zombified, and whenever they aren't speaking they're literally standing perfectly still. Admittedly that zombie was a puppet for Nefarious Plans™, but it's that sort of passive attitude I see from Durkula right now. Another side affect of his attitude adjustment?

Porthos
Could V pull all the team through the Gate with a spell? He has already used his high level spells, I think...maybe if he pulled just Roy and Elan, the rest of the team would follow.

The Rift is really far away right now.

What about Durkula? Could he have prepared Plane Shift and use it to escape with the team (he would have to touch them all, however)? Or at least Ethereal Jaunt, to save himself, even if he leaves behind the rest of the team?

Out of spells, remember?

Maybe Roy could call Celia? She can cast Conjurations. She could arrive and save them all.

He doesn't have the talisman of booty calling summoning anymore. :smallwink:

Or, if Roy doesn't die instantly, Elan could make a perform (drama)/bluff roll, pretend that Roy is dead, swear vengeanze against his dad, and heal Roy once Tarquin is gone.

Prety sure Tarquin can recognize X's in eyes. :smallwink: More importantly, Laurin would almost certainly disintergrate the 'body'.

Good guesses, but I don't think any of them are very likely.

NihhusHuotAliro
I showed this comic to my best friend, who is a fan of OOTS.

His response: "No X's on eyes. No X's on eyes. No X's on eyes."

Icalasari
2013-11-10, 06:27 PM

I'm betting on it being The Rift. Go applied to the comic, as did Through. I can't see The applying by itself, however

Demolator
2013-11-10, 06:27 PM
Now THAT, I did not expect. :smalleek:

ThePhantasm
2013-11-10, 06:29 PM
It's an interesting point to note Durkon's actions, or lack thereof. Even while breathing he was never the most active character: His time with Hinjo shows that. However with the exception of his initial liberation from Malack's control where he kills Zz'drti, this passivity seems to be enhanced, not taking action or even talking much unless spoken to, ordered or attacked. I'm reminded of a scene in a Magic The Gathering novel where someone has been zombified, and whenever they aren't speaking they're literally standing perfectly still. Admittedly that zombie was a puppet for Nefarious Plans™, but it's that sort of passive attitude I see from Durkula right now. Another side affect of his attitude adjustment?

Agreed. There's something funny going on here - there's a great deal of lifelessness to Durkon, almost like what there was when he was Malack's thrall. Very odd.

Lord Raziere
2013-11-10, 06:30 PM
Tarquin: there is no doubt that he doesn't even actually care for Elan. he is willing to stab Elan for his goals, he is willing to go through anyone, everyone....yup.

and as for the titles....

Go

Through

1.The

Rift?

2. The

Portal?

3. Me?

eh, I got nothing. I'm pretty sure this will either end with people going through the rift after all, or someone doing something pretty dang awesome to get out of this.

Muenster Man
Wow, I'm out of ideas about how the Order is going go get out of this. A couple people have mentioned Haley doing something (Tarquin DID just impale her BF with a greatsword), but this is probably the the most difficult situation the Order has been in yet.

Grey Watcher
Haley's Bag of Holding!

Vampires don't need to breathe, so there's no worry about Durkon suffocating in there, and he'd be out of the sunlight!

EDIT: That, or as was suggested upstream, one of Haley's shiny new wands happens to have some darkness-generating spell in it.

Sir Chuckles
2013-11-10, 06:31 PM
Dang it, Belkar! You have levels in Barbarian!
Rage, dang it! RAGE!

Deuce
2013-11-10, 06:31 PM
Noooo! Haley, turn the psion into a porcupine!

(...but I fear Haley may be out for the count again) :eek:

How about a . . .
Frozen Porcupine? Wintergreen Psion anyone?
Drop the Psion's concentration
Belkar throws lizard at Tarquin
V casts Greater Dispel Magic on the lizard
Tarquin gets a dinosaur dropped on his head (hopefully mouth first)

Porthos
2013-11-10, 06:32 PM
Rich is very probably laughing his ass off at everyone trying to guess what the next title might be. :smallbiggrin:

Or at least getting a knowing chuckle. :smallwink:

ThePhantasm
How long has it been since Sabine was banished?

Tarquin has killed Nale and stabbed through Elan. That means he's going to have the fury of one, possibly two very angry girlfriends coming down on him if Sabine shows up. How crazy would a Haley / Sabine team-up be?

I'm not saying that would happen necessarily, but that would be awesome.

RMS Oceanic
Regarding the "Go Through" theories, I'm fond of the "With" "The Plan" predictions the most, as I'm still hopeful Elan gets to pull off his plan.

Porthos
2013-11-10, 06:33 PM
Haley's Bag of Holding!

Vampires don't need to breathe, so there's no worry about Durkon suffocating in there, and he'd be out of the sunlight!

That's the other thing I was thinking of. Getting enough actions in though might be problematic, which is why I didn't suggest it.

Way less than 24 hours.

Icalasari
2013-11-10, 06:34 PM
Hey, I thought of another way for them to get out of this

Elan's mentor. It fits the tropperific nature of Elan's family. Chips are down, then the old mentor arrives to save Elan's life. The mentor dies in the process, and Elan swears revenge

Meanwhile the mentor goes to the afterlife and says, "...Dammit!"

RMS Oceanic
2013-11-10, 06:35 PM

Tarquin has killed Nale and stabbed through Elan. That means he's going to have the fury of one, possibly two very angry girlfriends coming down on him if Sabine shows up. How crazy would a Haley / Sabine team-up be?

I'm not saying that would happen necessarily, but that would be awesome.

Night would have to come and go before Sabine can return. Since Durkon hasn't refreshed his spells, I don't think we're there yet.

BrometheusJones
Tarquin: there is no doubt that he doesn't even actually care for Elan. he is willing to stab Elan for his goals, he is willing to go through anyone, everyone....yup.

Just some tough love, thats all :smallwink:

Harbinger

Durkon can't die.

Tarquin on the other hand must.

Porthos
2013-11-10, 06:37 PM
Hey, I thought of another way for them to get out of this

Elan's mentor. It fits the tropperific nature of Elan's family. Chips are down, then the old mentor arrives to save Elan's life. The mentor dies in the process, and Elan swears revenge

Meanwhile the mentor goes to the afterlife and says, "...Dammit!"

No way. That would be a classic Deus ex Machina.

*remembers the name of the ship (http://oots.wikia.com/wiki/Mechane)*

Objection withdrawn. :smalltongue:

===

Probably won't happen though. If only because it robs the Order from earning their victory.

On the other hand, if Julio shows up and says:

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/6719/scoundrel.png: Changed my mind, kid.

I might forgive it. :smalltongue:

Vedhin
2013-11-10, 06:37 PM
Durkon can't die.

'Course he can't. Malack allready killed him. You can't kill a dead man.

On the other hand, if Julio shows up and says:

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/6719/scoundrel.png: Changed my mind, kid.

I might forgive it. :smalltongue:

My guess is that if Julio shows up, it'll be completly unintentional.

Gusion
2013-11-10, 06:38 PM

I concur with this.

The Zealot
2013-11-10, 06:39 PM
:smalleek: You know, I can't see how they're getting out of this one. The prophecy shows that Durkon's body (undead or otherwise) needs to return to his homeland... but otherwise? I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

:smallfrown: Ugh, this is starting to hurt to read. They've been reeling since Durkon's death and they just keep getting beat down, time and time again. Please be alright, guys...

BrometheusJones
BTW, its gradually getting slightly darker each strip.

I noticed in the last one the sun was setting, and this strip has a darker shade of orange in it than 928.

Any bets that Durkon just happens to luck out and the sun magically drifts behind the horizon just in the nick of time, against all odds?

ThePhantasm
How would Julio possibly know where Elan was, or that he was in danger?

Neoriceisgood
Well that was horrible, poor order. :smallfrown:

Paseo H
2013-11-10, 06:40 PM
:smalleek: You know, I can't see how they're getting out of this one. The prophecy shows that Durkon's body (undead or otherwise) needs to return to his homeland... but otherwise? I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

:smallfrown: Ugh, this is starting to hurt to read. They've been reeling since Durkon's death and they just keep getting beat down, time and time again. Please be alright, guys...

Giant went to no small effort to turn Durkon into a vampire to start with. I would be very surprised if this was the end of the road for him.

Porthos
2013-11-10, 06:41 PM
How would Julio possibly know where Elan was, or that he was in danger?

*dramatic sense tingling*

Or he has some sort of connection to the Draketooth Clan (not through blood). That works too.

Mostly I was just cribbing off the famous Han Solo line (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChangedMyMindKid), given all of the SW themes in this mega-arc. :smalltongue:

Edhelras
2013-11-10, 06:42 PM
Had Elan any illusion left? None that would fool Tarkin, I guess. Maybe it is the moment for the other chekov weapons to show up... the wands Haley stole from Z.

Hm. Tarquin told Laurin to take care of the spellcasters. What if that "plan" was foiled, because Haley - with those wands, is actually "a third spellcaster up their sleeves"?
Having a third spellcaster of sorts might be the thing to turn the tide. Depending on the spells stored in those wands, though.

Kish
2013-11-10, 06:43 PM
Any bets that Durkon just happens to luck out and the sun magically drifts behind the horizon just in the nick of time, against all odds?
I'll bet against that. If the sun was that close to the horizon, Rich would either have depicted it actually setting in this one, or not set up the "Durkon has one round to unlive" thing in this one at all; "The sun abruptly races below the horizon and the angry vampire dwarf reenters the fray" would be the same kind of rip-off as when Adam West, playing Batman, explained that he survived being coated in plaster with, "I simply held my breath."