PDA

View Full Version : Rogue equipment

drakoonity
2013-11-10, 05:13 PM
Ok so I finally convinced my DM to let us do equipment shopping and not just use the stuff he gives us, but I dont know much equipment. I was wondering what would be good equipment for a rogue to have, my build is more towards sneaking around and then I will prestige into the avenger. I use a bow, and if you all need or want any more info just let me know. Thanks for the help.

Spore
2013-11-10, 05:14 PM
I'd help to know your current gear and what you do want to spend.

drakoonity
2013-11-10, 05:18 PM
Just standard studded leather, and a long bow. and boots that allow me to move my full speed when sneaking.For spending just anything, as I can always use it as a checklist and slowly get all of the gear. I would guess though I would probably want something that helps me sneak and do more damage with my bow and being hidden

Flickerdart
2013-11-10, 05:24 PM
What's your budget? It sounds like you don't actually have any money to buy anything with, if you're operating with mundane gear.

drakoonity
2013-11-10, 05:27 PM
I only have 5k on me at the moment but if I can get a list of gear I'm going to get after a few missions I can start buying off the stuff I want.

Lightlawbliss
2013-11-10, 06:52 PM
marbles and rope would be good investments.

also, how are you proficient with a longbow as a rouge?

It may be useful to know your race.

A general idea of where the rest of the party is and where they are planning on going?

oh yea, and some sort of concealment would likely be a good idea(hide in the concealment and sneak attack from there), as well as a way to bypass concealment the other guy might have so you can always sneak attack. (If this game goes for a while, you will likely want all-day true seeing if possible)

a shield? even a masterwork buckler is better then nothing though I would personally use something like (if custom items are allowed) a continuous item of shield.

Darrin
2013-11-10, 06:53 PM
Consult with Shax (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8235865#post8235865). 5K is about what a Type I Haversack would cost.

Sir Chuckles
2013-11-10, 07:01 PM
Race, level, a list of your current equipment (rather than a glossed over one), and your priorities would all be helpful.

If you're going for a range-based Rogue, your needs would be very different from a flanker or skirmisher.

What are your worries? Concealment? Do you think you need a higher AC?

drakoonity
2013-11-10, 07:07 PM
marbles and rope would be good investments.

also, how are you proficient with a longbow as a rouge?

It may be useful to know your race.

A general idea of where the rest of the party is and where they are planning on going?

oh yea, and some sort of concealment would likely be a good idea(hide in the concealment and sneak attack from there), as well as a way to bypass concealment the other guy might have so you can always sneak attack. (If this game goes for a while, you will likely want all-day true seeing if possible)

a shield? even a masterwork buckler is better then nothing though I would personally use something like (if custom items are allowed) a continuous item of shield.
Well basically the DM asked me what I wanted to use and I always love bows so I said a longbow, and then he just said I was proficient with it. Our DM has always been like that most of the gear we get is all custom and basically whatever he can think of for an ability it does and such.

drakoonity
2013-11-10, 07:18 PM
Race, level, a list of your current equipment (rather than a glossed over one), and your priorities would all be helpful.

If you're going for a range-based Rogue, your needs would be very different from a flanker or skirmisher.

What are your worries? Concealment? Do you think you need a higher AC?
Just turned level 4 and I'm a human. My current equipment is studded leather armor, a longbow, and shadow step boots (which the DM said allows me to move at my full speed rather then half speed when sneaking). I'm not too worried about having really high AC but my main worry is being found, I want to always be hiding and make it as difficult as possible to be spotted. I guess I don't understand your other part much but I hope this answers it. My play style is going to be hiding in like a corner shoot someone and keep not being found. I hope that makes sense haha.

Lightlawbliss
2013-11-10, 07:25 PM
Just so you know, when people ask for you current equipment in threads like this, in detail, they are often asking for everything down to your trail rations and number of water skins.

also, as I said before (among other things): what is your party playing. This may not seem important but it actually controls your priorities a lot.

drakoonity
2013-11-10, 07:43 PM
Just so you know, when people ask for you current equipment in threads like this, in detail, they are often asking for everything down to your trail rations and number of water skins.

also, as I said before (among other things): what is your party playing. This may not seem important but it actually controls your priorities a lot.

Oh I guess we do things way differently then other people haha. In ours the DM just ignores and basically gets rid of rations and water skin and that sort of thing. Could you possibly clarify what you mean by what we play, as now I found out we do things differently then others. Do you mean like the land along that line of what we play like time period and such

Lightlawbliss
2013-11-10, 07:53 PM
when I said "what you play" I was talking about the classes and builds of the characters, though information on the setting doesn't hurt.

edit: almost forgot, you are going to want a melee weapon of some sort because ranged combat isn't very hard to stop cold.

Sir Chuckles
2013-11-10, 08:05 PM
For the melee weapon, I'd invest in an Elvencraft bow.

You can then use the bow as a glorified stick. Still better than having to drop it and pull out a different stick.

Do remember that your Sneak Attack doesn't work past 30ft.

Your party is a pivotal part of what your character should consider buying.

drakoonity
2013-11-10, 08:12 PM
Well for setting and environment its basically anything goes I guess, not really errobion or however its spelled. its more of we make up the world each time. For up close ill talk to the DM about giving me either a dagger or short sword. for character we have a pretty big party. Everyone is level 4, a cleric who will prestige into bone knight, a gunslinger, a rogue who uses a spiked chain, two fighters, a wizard, and then a twf ranger.

Vortenger
2013-11-10, 08:14 PM
First order of business: Hauling capacity. A Handy Haversack is 2k and covers most of your needs for most of your career. Probably the best investment in the game.

Masterwork tools for every skill you have. Seriously. +2 to doing what you do already is never a waste of 75g (or up to 250...).

Need healing? Belt of Healing (MIC) is 750g and long term can be better than a wand of cure light or lesser vigor. 6d8 healing per day can go a long ways...

Need mobility? Anklet of translocation is 1.5k and gives 2 swift action 10' teleports to get into or out of all kinds of trouble.

Pathfinder has a gob of cheap busted up ioun stones that grant many different boni. Collect them all for lots of bonus stacking. Also look up the eelskin, sharkskin, and griffonmane materials.

Chronocharms are cheap at 500g each, and I can always find at least one for each character I make, and its one of the few stackable magic items out there.

Thanks to Darrin, I have absolutely fallen in love with the Travel Cloak and the Survival Pouch to cover your basic adventuring needs.

If your DM is nice, shuriken are crafted and enchanted as though they were ammunition (meaning 2% the price of another weapon) There's lots of things you can do for passive boni there... a +10 shuriken is about 8k (See JaronK's thread at MinMax).

edit: For most of your basic needs, Darrin's Shax' list, The complete MacGuyver thread and the Utility Belt thread (the latter 2 found at MinMax) are wonderful resources for kitting out your inventory. Oh, how could I forget?! Bunko's Bargain Basement!

Bounty Hunter
2013-11-11, 12:32 AM
Cannot stress enough how awesome a Handy Haversack is. First thing I buy on higher level character creation.

Bounty Hunter
2013-11-11, 12:33 AM
Also @OP , remember to toss out what system you're playing in thread title, makes things easier and draws in the right crowd to assist ya. Cheers!

Phaederkiel
2013-11-11, 01:24 AM
amulet of tears is great no matter who you are.

look at the MIC, the magic item compendium. This book is a complete gamechanger if you never seen it before.