PDA

View Full Version : Temperature thoughts

gooddragon1
2013-11-10, 10:12 PM
It's easier to warm up in cold weather than it is to cool down in hot weather in my opinion. I say this because fans without that stuff that makes the AC work in cars just blow air around whereas you can just put a jacket on if you're cold.

However, I feel like the cold is actually painful where just being in higher temperatures is only unpleasant.

Also, 72 degrees Fahrenheit would be nice but if you go to areas where that's common I think the bugs and other annoying critters tend to be more frequent.

Can't have everything I guess. Thoughts on temperature?

KillianHawkeye
2013-11-10, 11:41 PM
Don't underestimate the power of a simple fan! Keeping the air moving and creating air circulation helps a lot when it's hot, especially if you're in an enclosed space. Of course, adding an actual coolant is far superior, but any fan is better than no fan at all.

That being said, I agree that cold weather is better than hot weather. You can always put more clothes on to stay warm, but there's a point where it is socially unacceptable (not to mention impractical) to take more clothing off. Also, staying active allows you to generate more heat internally, but doing the opposite doesn't work nearly as well for staying cool (unless you get that fan).

Remmirath
2013-11-10, 11:59 PM
I certainly prefer chilly weather to hot weather. I'm quite happy in my normal attire from around 60 degrees Fahrenheit to around 72, and with the addition of a sweater, I'm happy down to 45 degrees. I can remain comfortable if I wear a sleeveless shirt up to around 75 degrees Fahrenheit, but after that, it just gets more and more unpleasant. Particularly if humid; I don't do very well with humidity. It has to get down to below zero before I'll consider it noticably unpleasant outside with a proper coat and gloves. It does get as low as -20 here in January at times, and then I do prefer to stay inside given the choice. If it gets above 80 degrees, however, I'll consider it too hot to do anything other than swim outside, and there is no equivalent of throwing on a scarf to help if I must be out and about.

Moving about and wearing more will help in the cold, but even standing still in the shade doesn't help if it's hot enough.

Basically, I prefer the climate of where I live of all those I've been in thus far. Somewhat further north is fine, too; not much further south and I'm no longer happy with the temperature most of the year.

It does get to 72 degrees for the summer time here, and the bugs and various critters aren't too bad, but then, it only consistently does that for three months of the year. I believe those tend to be worst in areas where it is consistently both quite hot and quite humid.

Talanic
2013-11-11, 01:12 AM
I'm from Wisconsin, but I spent eight months (January to August) interning in Florida. Also, for the past two years I've driven pizza delivery in a car without air conditioning.

Heat can be terrible but it's also a factor of humidity - one time (during the internship) I was actually stuck inside a greenhouse without air conditioning and the result was air that felt like it was actively trying to exit the lungs. I could speak no more than three words between gasped breaths, and one of my coworkers was carried out on a stretcher. It's never gotten even close to that in Wisconsin, but it has reached debilitating, not-even-able-to-think heat at times.

As far as cold goes, I went out in Florida in January several times. The 65 degree weather was bone-chilling to the locals but nothing unpleasant to me. So I lent my winter coat out to anyone who looked particularly cold. I usually set my winter thermostat lower than that.

In contrast, it has hit -40 degrees (the point where Celsius and Farenheit match) a few times here. Stepping outside in that weather can cause you to have a choking fit, as your throat rebels at what doesn't seem like air at first gasp. You can adapt quickly, and it's actually possible to bundle up to the point that it can be managed. Heck, with the right outfit, you might wind up having to open up to the ravaging cold from time to time to prevent yourself from overheating.

However, cold's got its evil companion, too. Windchill can make the cold so, so much worse. Lots of coats can't stop it, and if you got the right coat you probably didn't get the right pants. A quick jaunt through the blustery night may take you hours for your legs to warm up.

In those instances, I recommend taking a clean old sock, filling it full of rice and tying it shut. Microwave for a few minutes (do one to start, then tune it yourself in 30 second increments until you find what works, based on the volume of rice) and it'll be nice and toasty for some time. Careful not to burn yourself.

Ravens_cry
2013-11-11, 04:14 AM
Wet colds are worse than dry colds, because moist air and rain conduct heat better than dry air. Also, water soaked fabrics tend to be worse insulators, because water is a better insulator than water, see above.
So, all in all, there is something to be said about the 'At least it's a dry cold' statements.

Krazzman
2013-11-11, 05:46 AM
I like a temperature around 18 degrees most. It's warm enough to run around in a shirt but not hot enough for it to be wet at the end of the day.

The problem I have with the cold atm is wrong clothing and missing my "scarf".

I have a winter scarf (long wool one) and a light cloth one and currently missing the latter after lending it to my wife... who has around 20 girly ones which I refuse to wear.
As well as not really warm holding pullover/sweatjackets etc.

I am really excited for Snow. As then it tends to be more comfortable as it is harder to go and you therefore get warmer while walking.

Don Julio Anejo
2013-11-11, 06:07 AM
I strongly prefer hot weather, as long as there's at least a modicum of wind.

I'm perfectly fine with like 35-38C if it's not in a super arid or super humid spot like Arizona or Louisiana (haven't been to either, going off stereotypes). Somewhere like west coast of Mexico, or Aruba are perfect.

Cold, on the other hand? I hate it. I hate it when you have to look like a cabbage with 20 sweaters, I hate sweating as soon as I come inside in my outerwear, I hate having to sleep with three blankets and a sweater.. I also hate having to walk through snow and wear proper boots, when I could be wearing chucks, sandals or dress shoes (mostly sandals).

So, yeah. I'm moving somewhere warm as soon as I can. Thinking of Austin, Texas or Australia.

Edit: favourite temperature? Somewhere around 22-25 degrees C, though I can go as low as 10-ish if it's sunny.

Ravens_cry
2013-11-11, 06:20 AM
I like how in late spring and early fall, you get those nice warm days with a still cool breeze going. Those are nice.
After a rain is always nice. It's like dunking a cookie in tea before you bite it; all the aromatics get released in this wonderful pungency. I even like that acrid, tart smell of mouldering leaves.

Alad
2013-11-11, 06:25 AM
Well, I certainly always used to prefer winter, but nowadays I really dont.
It might just be my low blood pressure, but even with our comparatively weedy winters in britain i'm alwaysssss cold. always. summers fairly tolerable but first warm days of spring are the best days of the year hands down IMO :smallbiggrin:

Killer Angel
2013-11-11, 07:11 AM
With cold weather, you only need some heavy clothes and you'll be fine.
With hot weather, you only have to suffer.

(of course, summer got some benefits that compensate... :smallwink:)

Brother Oni
2013-11-11, 08:27 AM
However, I feel like the cold is actually painful where just being in higher temperatures is only unpleasant.

You obviously haven't helped someone with heat stroke induced nausea if you think higher temperatures are only unpleasant.

The human body can survive getting cold far better than getting hot - hyperthermia starts when the body core temp hits above 37.5C with 40C being life threatening. In comparison there's a whole range of hypothermia levels all the way down to 20C.

This may be due to the body's adaptations for shedding heat - if you're hyperthermic then you've already exceeded your body's abilities and need external help to cool yourself (water, fans, etc).
If you're hypothermic, simple exertion may be sufficient to increase your core temperature to normal levels.

Personally I prefer cold - as a heavily built person, I naturally run a slightly higher temperature anyway.

Mauve Shirt
2013-11-11, 09:24 AM
I hate cold. I hate it I hate it I hate it. I don't want to wake up to it, I don't want to move around in it, I don't want to have to wear socks in order to survive it.
I hate winter. I hate darkness all the time.
Hate. :smallmad:

TheThan
2013-11-11, 05:01 PM
Clothing is designed for general practical purposes, to protect us from the elements, and to keep us modest. We’ll ignore the modesty part here, as that’s not what the topic is about.

It’s easier to protect yourself from cold weather, you layer on clothing, until you’re comfortable (don’t over layer, you’ll sweat, and sweat kills you in cold weather, you want to be comfortable not hot). These layers trap air that’s been warmed by your body and keep it close to you, keeping you warm. Sleeping bags and blankets work the same way.

When it comes to hot weather, humans sweat for a reason. It helps us regulate our body temperature and keeps us cool. Clothes are typically used to keep up warm (thanks to modern technology they created fabrics that wick moisture away, thus helping with things like athletes foot etc). The problem is that in extreme heat, clothing keeps us too warm, in which case we can put ourselves in danger; heat stroke can kill you. Thus we have strip down to a comfortable degree. The problem is that there are only so many layers we can lose before we run out, or have to start considering our modesty (ok so I’ll mention it a little bit).

Therefore its easier to protect yourself from cold weather than it is from hot weather. Personally I prefer cold weather, because it’s easier to deal with.

Kalmageddon
2013-11-11, 05:06 PM
With cold weather, you only need some heavy clothes and you'll be fine.
With hot weather, you only have to suffer.

(of course, summer got some benefits that compensate... :smallwink:)

Pretty much this.
I also hate sweating.

Aedilred
2013-11-11, 06:29 PM
I don't like being either too hot or too cold, although if we're going to proper extremes then I'd probably rather be too hot. Generally, though, I'll take cold (preferably cool rather than actually cold) any time. It seems my comfortable temperature is a couple of degrees lower than many/most peoples' (about 18-19 Celsius).

That said, the cold brings with it an idiosyncratic problem in this house. My bedroom is the only room on the first floor with single glazing, and it has two large windows, so in cold weather the windows steam up. A lot. By the evening the condensation has started dripping, and that continues pretty much throughout the night. It's like trying to sleep in a room with five dripping taps. It's started in earnest this year in the last week or so and we haven't even turned the heating on yet. For added funtime, the resulting damp leads to mould, and is bad for my chest. Brilliant all round. For the last couple of days I've been sleeping with the windows open to try to stop it from happening, it's got that bad.

warty goblin
2013-11-11, 08:40 PM
It's supposed to hit 14 tonight. I'm sitting in my apartment, wearing three layers of polarfleece, and loving every second. Winter is such a wonderful time of year; the air so clean and the wind gnawing at extremities just makes a person feel properly alive. It's the season for wool and fur and leather, and steaming mugs of tea or apple cider and the old, somber stories of heartbreak and loss and failure.

Not that 14 is properly cold yet. Not for the low.

Remmirath
2013-11-11, 11:48 PM
It snowed today, and tonight it's to get down around twenty. I love fall, but it's run its course by now, and I'm also quite fond of winter -- and quite ready for it. I know we'll probably have another streak of merely cool weather, but I'm enjoying this brief pre-proper-winter burst of snow and cold now while it lasts.

I don't like freezing rain, though, which it did earlier today. That's just annoying.

JustSomeGuy
2013-11-12, 06:20 AM
I moved from north yorkshire to the south coast a few years back; winter doesn't even exist here! Apart from a couple of random snowfalls (not even winter related), it has gone from autumn to spring with some ease.

So the solution is clearly to move daarn saarf.

Brother Oni
2013-11-12, 07:14 AM
I moved from north yorkshire to the south coast a few years back; winter doesn't even exist here! Apart from a couple of random snowfalls (not even winter related), it has gone from autumn to spring with some ease.

So the solution is clearly to move daarn saarf.

On the other hand, the further west you move on the south coast, the more rain you get. :smalltongue:

As an aside, is it me or are your avatar pictures gradually becoming more worrying?

JustSomeGuy
2013-11-12, 11:08 AM
On the other hand, the further west you move on the south coast, the more rain you get. :smalltongue:

I used to drive mcdonalds lorries on a weekend, and one of the two times i encountered snow was driving west to deliver around bristol and weston s-m.

As an aside, is it me or are your avatar pictures gradually becoming more worrying?

Yes, i'm getting increasingly afraid for her each time i check around for updated ones, it seems the series aren't going to well for her! A google image search of pam poovey would show far more than could go on here...

The Extinguisher
2013-11-12, 12:56 PM
I think we're sitting around -15 (Celsius) right now. Something like that. It's going to get very cold very soon though, so I guess I should enjoy this while it lasts.

I hate living up north.

thorgrim29
2013-11-12, 12:57 PM
Screw winter.... My tolerance threshold for cold is about 5 degrees below almost everyone I know, so I'm comfortable without a coat until it gets below 10 celcius (I actually like fall nights a lot), but when I start needing to scratch off ice on my car windows in the morning and needing to put on shoes and a coat just to take the garbage out I get pissed off. Plus I'm faily clumsy so I slip and fall all the time, I need to switch shoes when I get to work, and everyone forgets how to drive everytime a few inches of snow fall. Only good side is that I sleep better when it's cold and I need a pile of covers then when it's hot and I need a fan.

On the other hand everything over 30 celcius is just miserable. Ideal temprature would be between 25 and 30 in the summertime and 5 to 10 in the winter... Guess I should move to New Zealand

And Archer isn't going well for anyone, I'm starting to feel as bad for ISIS as I do for team Venture

warty goblin
2013-11-12, 01:51 PM
Screw winter.... My tolerance threshold for cold is about 5 degrees below almost everyone I know, so I'm comfortable without a coat until it gets below 10 celcius (I actually like fall nights a lot), but when I start needing to scratch off ice on my car windows in the morning and needing to put on shoes and a coat just to take the garbage out I get pissed off. Plus I'm faily clumsy so I slip and fall all the time, I need to switch shoes when I get to work, and everyone forgets how to drive everytime a few inches of snow fall. Only good side is that I sleep better when it's cold and I need a pile of covers then when it's hot and I need a fan.

The only parts of maintenance I find difficult in the cold is food and water for livestock. Somehow compared to breaking a solid five gallons of ice out of a bucket, scraping the windshield just isn't that bad. Gives the motor time to warm up. And nothing on the planet freezes the hands faster than forking hay when it's below zero.

thorgrim29
2013-11-13, 10:02 AM
I didn't say it was unbearable, just that I didn't like it

Castaras
2013-11-13, 10:12 AM
I can wear all the really cool clothes when it's cold. When it's warm, it's too warm to wear lots of layers and look cool.

Plus, I get heatstroke and faint easier when it's hot.

Mauve Shirt
2013-11-14, 08:03 AM
First frost and I have to go outside. I am so put out by this.
Cold and bundling up is all well and good, but it's useless to dress up cozy whenyou have to wear a skirt and panty hose and a nice shirt (ttypically short sleeved or thin) underneath your heavy wool coat that for some reason can't hold up to the freezing wind.

Cold is fine when you're in a big sweater by a fire with hot cocoa. It suuuucks when you have to dress attractively and go out in it.

Morgarion
2013-11-14, 11:36 AM
I can handle heat as long as it's dry heat. But we don't get much of that.

I can handle some cold. Reasonable levels of it and for reasonable durations. The thing that drives me crazy is how long our winters last. It really does last about five months of the year. Then we have those brutal, sticky summers. What I consider really beautiful, comfortable weather is too fleeting.

One thing that I do enjoy is how people from other parts of the country and Europeans can hardly fathom the temperatures. In January, we usually have a stretch of a week and a half or so where the temperature doesn't get very far above 0. Fahrenheit. That's something like -19 Celsius, I think.

JustSomeGuy
2013-11-14, 11:41 AM
suuuucks when you have to dress attractively and go out in it.

Ok, here's the plan - you know how stereotypical male strippers have velcro'd their clothes to appear normal at first glance yet still allow for removal at the speed of a thousand gazelles?

Do that to your winterwear; then you get the full bonus of warmth and cosiness, plus the instant reveal of the indoor attire. Maybe get some kind of portable muscic player with appropriate accompanying music (something short but instantly recognisable, such as a short blast of Marvin Gaye or Hot Chocolate or whatever) to your performance. Upon further thinking, i reckon a text/email alert on your phone might do in a pinch; just text/email yourself on the way in, walk up and as the tone blares out of your pocket BAM! SEXY!

The more i think about this, the more i want to do this for a prank at a suitably innapropriate occaision...

Morgarion
2013-11-14, 11:43 AM
Wait. Why do you 'have' to dress 'attractively'? And why does 'dressing attractively' necessitate wearing less clothing?

warty goblin
2013-11-14, 12:36 PM
First frost and I have to go outside. I am so put out by this.
Cold and bundling up is all well and good, but it's useless to dress up cozy whenyou have to wear a skirt and panty hose and a nice shirt (ttypically short sleeved or thin) underneath your heavy wool coat that for some reason can't hold up to the freezing wind.

Cold is fine when you're in a big sweater by a fire with hot cocoa. It suuuucks when you have to dress attractively and go out in it.

Unsolicited advice: add a windbreaking layer to the overwear. One of those new coats they have with the reflective dots on the inside for instance; those things are crazy warm. I run in a shirt with those, and that plus a windbreaker keeps me toasty all the way down to about 10 degrees.

Aedilred
2013-11-14, 01:58 PM
Wait. Why do you 'have' to dress 'attractively'? And why does 'dressing attractively' necessitate wearing less clothing?
Well, I don't know why anyone would choose to dress deliberately unattractively, unless they're trying to get rid of a stalker or something.

As far as why dressing attractively tends to involve wearing less clothing, I wouldn't have thought that was a controversial hypothesis. In general, dressing attractively tends to involve showing off your best physical assets, which is difficult to balance with the need to stay warm under large bulky garments. And warm underclothes, as in days of yore, are no longer enormously helpful since building interiors tend to be kept at a fairly middling temperature: unless you can conveniently remove your warm-weather clothing you're going to boil, which means you need to wear more outer clothes, which leads to bulk, which leads to shapelessness.

There are exceptions. If you habitually wear a suit or jacket/trousers combination of some sort, you can put on a waistcoat, scarf, overcoat, gloves, hat and maybe a vest, and stay tolerably warm - at least in southern England - without compromising aesthetics (in some ways, it improves them!) It's also - generalisation alert - slightly easier for men than women in that respect, because of the way that bodies are designed and stuff.

warty goblin
2013-11-14, 02:10 PM
As far as why dressing attractively tends to involve wearing less clothing, I wouldn't have thought that was a controversial hypothesis. In general, dressing attractively tends to involve showing off your best physical assets, which is difficult to balance with the need to stay warm under large bulky garments. And warm underclothes, as in days of yore, are no longer enormously helpful since building interiors tend to be kept at a fairly middling temperature: unless you can conveniently remove your warm-weather clothing you're going to boil, which means you need to wear more outer clothes, which leads to bulk, which leads to shapelessness.

On the flipside, as somebody who has spent most of their life in a place with toothy sorts of winters, my general take on people dressed inappropriately and clearly uncomfortably for the cold is 'that's kinda dumb.' Strangely I don't find a startling lack of common sense particularly attractive. Somebody who owns a sensible sort of coat and wears whatever they want under it? Sure.

Mauve Shirt
2013-11-14, 10:06 PM
Unfortunately I can't add a waistcoat and all that nonsense because I wear girl clothing to work. :smalltongue: The best I can do is add more jewelry, which doesn't really make one warmer.

Proud Tortoise
2013-11-14, 10:30 PM
I like the weather to be anywhere from 20 to 60 degrees farenheigighthtgit (:smallannoyed:). I don't like sun, I like clouds and love rain. Not snow so much, because it's a lot quieter, and also because around 40 degrees is probably my favorite weather.

Aedilred
2013-11-15, 03:19 AM
Unfortunately I can't add a waistcoat and all that nonsense because I wear girl clothing to work. :smalltongue: The best I can do is add more jewelry, which doesn't really make one warmer.
Indeed. This is one of the reasons it's generally easier for men than women.

Mauve Shirt
2013-11-15, 05:42 AM
How do you people even convince yourselves to get out of bed into this? Brrrr

Castaras
2013-11-15, 07:30 AM
Cos cold is good! :smallbiggrin:

Makes bed all snuggly and makes snuggling with people and animals good as well. Plus, computing under a blanket. Best thing.

Alad
2013-11-15, 07:41 AM
How do you people even convince yourselves to get out of bed into this? Brrrr

I struggle too. something about my hands and feet constantly feeling cold and needing two jackets and a pair of gloves puts me off slightly.

Lorsa
2013-11-15, 08:13 AM
Having to spend like 10 minutes to put on a large amount of bulky clothing and then 10 minutes again to take it all off when you reach your destination is extremely time consuming. I much prefer when I wear the same thing indoors as outdoors.

Also, cold weather usually leaves me the feeling of being cold in the bones. Somehow it just creeps in and becomes impossible to get rid of unless you spend excessive amounts of time in a sauna (which again is time consuming). No matter what you do, you'll simply feel that stiffening cold.

On the other hand, summer heat can be horrible, but mostly at night. It's very hard to sleep when it's just too warm and I have a problem with sound so fans can get annoying. The real cure for heat isn't to use fans or take off lots of clothes (even though wearing little clothing is nice and comfortable). It's water. Immerse yourself in a 292 K ocean for 15 minutes and when you come up you'll feel that the warmth is a lot nicer than the cold will ever be.

Cristo Meyers
2013-11-15, 10:40 AM
Cos cold is good! :smallbiggrin:

Makes bed all snuggly and makes snuggling with people and animals good as well. Plus, computing under a blanket. Best thing.

Unless said other person has a condition I like to call "sub-zero touch." Then it's more of test of endurance.

Great way for someone to convince you to get out of bed, though.