PDA

View Full Version : is spiked chain a twf or thf, and is it eligible for power attack?

dehro
2013-11-11, 05:21 AM
I'm in a debate with a friend about this. visually, it looks like you hold it in the middle/with 2 hands, which puts reach in question and its "twohandedness"..as opposed as using it holding the extremities...or near them
hence the question mark on power attack..

bekeleven
2013-11-11, 05:24 AM
It's right here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm) under two-handed weapons. It is listed the same in the player's handbook.

animewatcha
2013-11-11, 05:25 AM
THF, PA able, and able to do hit adjacent targets unlike many other reach weapons.

Certain prestige classes and what not mess with it wieldness, but above answers for basic use of it.

TuggyNE
2013-11-11, 06:22 AM
I'm in a debate with a friend about this. visually, it looks like you hold it in the middle/with 2 hands

Nothing about the spiked chain, mechanically, really makes a whole lot of sense from a real-world standpoint, and two-handing it is almost certainly the least of the problems. Just sigh and move on.

Elric VIII
2013-11-11, 06:47 AM
Spiked chain is, indeed, a two-handed reach weapon and you can use power attack for a 2:1 return (even if you use Weapon Finesse with it).

However, there's a few alternate versions of the spiked chain that can be found in Oriental Adventures. They can be used as double, non-reach weapons or reach weapons from round to round .

dehro
2013-11-11, 08:20 AM
figured as much.. thanks, everybody!

Joe the Rat
2013-11-11, 09:33 AM
Nothing about the spiked chain, mechanically, really makes a whole lot of sense from a real-world standpoint, and two-handing it is almost certainly the least of the problems. Just sigh and move on.A lot of times art, description, and mechanics seem to just miss each other. Like a bad romantic comedy.

I actually had a bit of an epiphany about the spiked chain. While it could work like a chain or flail (bludgeoning with the weight and momentum, only now you're hitting it with spikes - and yes it needs more spikes than depicted in every direction it can), it would probably work best as a rasping attack - you do damage by whipping the chain, causing injury from the spikes catching and tearing as they rip past. A whipsaw.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-11-11, 10:00 AM
visually, it looks like you hold it in the middle/with 2 hands, which puts reach in question and its "twohandedness"..as opposed as using it holding the extremities...or near them

The art in the PHB for spiked chain is stupid and horrible, and should not be used as a basis for how it is wielded.

I always liked this pic from Complete Warrior, shows it much better, with only the ends being spiky. Because...that's all you really are striking with anyway.
http://www.dragonquestfrontiers.com/images/warriors_vs_hag.jpg

dehro
2013-11-11, 01:30 PM
yup.. that's what I sent my friend too.

CyberThread
2013-11-11, 02:34 PM
spiked chain is what we call, the melee fighters version of wizard spells :P. It is "overpowered" when compared to toher weapons, but looks just fine compared to anything with magic.

dehro
2013-11-11, 02:42 PM
yet still, apparently I won't get to play with it, lol.. oh well. I'll survive.. somehow... probably.

Coidzor
2013-11-11, 03:33 PM
yet still, apparently I won't get to play with it, lol.. oh well. I'll survive.. somehow... probably.

If you want Two-handed Power Attack + Weapon Finesse, I believe the Elven Courtblade has your back.

If you just want reach tripping, some form of glaive-glaive-guisarme-glaive-bardiche-corbin-lochaber axe will do you.

If you want reach + adjacent, there's the Duom. There's other weapons too, but if the DM is banning the spiked chain he'll probably just ban all similar rope-dart weapons and eastern weapons such as the spinning sword.

dehro
2013-11-11, 03:45 PM
it's not as much a ban as not being able to afford the exotic weapon feat.. also, flavour is an issue too. I think I'll just stick to the greatsword. or a big hammer-y thing, if I find one in the game