PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Descendant

Aximili
2007-01-09, 12:01 PM
I was looking at the Dragon Magic yesterday, and I came across a prestige class that I had never noticed before.

The dragon descendant can tap into the power of his ancestors. The description states the time of activation, but it doesn't say how long it lasts. At first I simply supposed that the ancestor's spirit remained with you until you dismiss it or switch to another, with no time limit. However, when I saw the 9th level spirit, I started to doubt my assumption. Ability to make AoO against anyone who simply attempts to attack you in melee, 24h a day, just strikes me as a little too much.

Does it really have an unlimited duration? Or was there an errata saying otherwise?

Fax Celestis
2007-01-09, 12:06 PM
Most class abilities not given a duration last for one round or one standard action, depending.

PinkysBrain
2007-01-09, 12:32 PM
It simply stays active when activated, since there is a feat which does the same thing (Robilar's Gambit) and it takes 9 levels to get I don't think it's overpowered.

Aximili
2007-01-09, 12:59 PM
I agree it's not overpowered, just really good. It just made me wonder whether it would really stay active indefinitely.

And Robilar's Gambit gives you some decent disadvantages, while the ancestor actually improves your AC.

Person_Man
2007-01-09, 01:35 PM
I've read the class, though I don't have it in front of me or own the book.

If the ability specifically copies a particular spell (like a copper Dragon Shamen's Spider Climb) then the duration is the same as the spell. Otherwise, its continous once activated, until you dismiss it, activate another one, or become helpless/unconscious/incapacitated.

From what I remember, a few of the Spirits are good. But most are meh. Plus its a Monk PrC (requires Still Mind for entry, lacks full BAB) which limits any melee combo potential.

Since you have it in front of you, what would you say the most uber aspect of the class would be?

Fax Celestis
2007-01-09, 01:46 PM
People always think that Still Mind makes it a Monk PrC. It doesn't. It makes it a Monk/Archivist PrC. Now with extra suckage!

Aximili
2007-01-09, 04:52 PM
Since you have it in front of you, what would you say the most uber aspect of the class would be?

The ability that I mentioned before is the only one I'd call "above average". But it has a couple other good spirits to activate, and I like the fact that it gains a lore ability (eventhough it doesn't seem so useful to a monk).

In the end, it's one of the (very)few monk PrC that I really enjoyed. So I just wanted to make sure I was reading it right.