PDA

View Full Version : Class Features on Magic Items?

Malak'ai
2013-11-11, 08:11 AM
I'm pretty sure there is a straight forward yes or no answer to this, but is it possible to get class features (Ex or Su) onto magic items?
For example is it possible to have a necklace that granted a Duskblade's Arcane Channeling?

If it is, what would the pricing structure be? Or would I have to try and back engineer the Ring of Evasion price?

qwertyu63
2013-11-11, 08:20 AM
I'm pretty sure there is a straight forward yes or no answer to this, but is it possible to get class features (Ex or Su) onto magic items?
For example is it possible to have a necklace that granted a Duskblade's Arcane Channeling?

If it is, what would the pricing structure be? Or would I have to try and back engineer the Ring of Evasion price?

As far as I know, there is no rule for the price, but it is quite clear that items like that can be made. So the rule is "ask your DM how much it costs". Unless of course someone more knowledgeable than me posts otherwise.

lytokk
2013-11-11, 08:55 AM
I can only think of one item off the top of my head that does this and its the Monk's Belt. Granted, that's a level 5 unarmed progression, but its still something to show it is possible.

Chronos
2013-11-11, 09:45 AM
Note, by the way, that the answer is the same as it is for all magic items not specifically described in the books. People sometimes say things like "Well, by the rules, a custom magic item that casts X spell on use costs Y GP", but that's wrong: There are no rules for the cost of such things, beyond "ask the DM". There are guidelines for such items, but they are only guidelines, and the bit about spell level etc. isn't the only, or even most important, guideline: The main guideline is "compare to other items that have similar effect, and price it accordingly".

For the Duskblade's arcane channeling, the most similar existing item is probably a spell-storing weapon, so you could use that as a starting point. That's priced as a +1 weapon equivalent, so it's hard to see how you'd price it on an item other than a weapon, though.

Cog
2013-11-11, 09:50 AM
Generally speaking, I'd say this is fair for common class abilities like Evasion, but it gets trickier for unique abilities. You're pretty much turning D&D's class-based chargen into a point-pased chargen, and if you want to do that properly there's no easy formula to use.

An alternative in this particular case might be a metamagic rod of the Smiting Spell feat from PHB2. The prices for MM rods are pretty standardized, and the additional prereqs on Smiting Spell are so low that they might as well be ignored by the time you're getting a rod.

Logic
2013-11-11, 10:05 AM
Pathfinder has several Class-based items, and the Sash of the War Champion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/sash-of-the-war-champion) immediately springs to mind as an example.