PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Trip ability

Blackjackg
2013-11-11, 09:17 AM
I'm looking for a RAW way to gain the wolf's ability to initiate a trip as a free action following a hit.

The tricky part is that I'd like to be able to do it with a dip of no more than two levels, with full BAB, before level 5. Without actually being a wolf.

Any suggestions?

Gray Mage
2013-11-11, 09:26 AM
The feat knockdown can do it, if you deal at least 10 points of damage. The prerequisites are improved trip, str 15 and BAB +2.

I believe it's in Complete Divine.

Karnith
2013-11-11, 09:29 AM
The Knock-Down feat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown) is pretty close to what you want, though not an exact fit because you still need to make the trip attack normally (i.e. it requires a touch attack) and it only triggers when you deal at least 10 damage.

Binding the Worg Pelt soulmeld to your hands chakra would give you something similar to a Wolf' Trip ability, but that doesn't look like it'll fit into your build (and additionally requires a bite attack); Totemists can bind soulmelds to their hands chakra at 5th level, Incarnates at 4th (and it'd require a feat to get Worg Pelt), and Open Least Chakra requires you to be at least 6th level.

bekeleven
2013-11-11, 09:30 AM
In general, you're better off shooting for Improved Trip, which is the same assuming your trip attempt succeeds (the order is reversed - you can hit if you succeed tripping instead of trip if you succeed hitting). Easy way to get it is Wolf Totem Barbarian 2.

If you really want tripping as wolves use it, for a 2 level dip, use Totem Druid (Wolf) from Dragon Magazine, which gives you Wolf Wild Shape 1/Day at first level. At level 2 you gain Natural Spell. And altogether you have a Wolf animal companion as a 4th level druid, 7th if you take natural bond.

Now, full BAB... that's much harder. I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Darrin
2013-11-11, 09:31 AM
Two:

1) Knock-Down feat from the Divine section of the SRD (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/divineFeats.html#knock-down).

2) Shape Soulmeld: Worg Pelt + Open Least Chakra: Hands (Magic of Incarnum). If you're not a Totemist, you'll need a bite attack from somewhere else.

Blackjackg
2013-11-11, 10:34 AM
Sounds like Knock-Down is it. Thank you!