PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Build A TWF Psychic (Pathfinder)

Acatalepsy
2013-11-11, 10:32 AM
Exactly what it says on the tin. I need a dual-wielding psychic warrior in pathfinder, at levels 1, 4, 8, and 12. Suggestions, advice, etc? Race is human, characterization is "only kind of psycho", focus is on being all around excellent at mixing it up and stabbing all of the things with a few powers and skills dedicated to out of combat effectiveness.

Psyren
2013-11-11, 10:42 AM
1) Consider Nimble Gifted Blade Soulknife instead as they get agile on their weapons for free starting at 7, adding dex to damage and letting you dump Str, along with full BAB, the ability to change out your powers known every morning, and unlimited free magic throwing knives with 30ft. increments.

2) Assuming you want to stick with Psywar anyway, good paths for this are Dervish, Ascetic and Assassin. Try to get weapons with Agile on them and grab feats like the TWF line, Agile Maneuvers and Pirahna Strike. Your powers can help with your chances to hit and your damage output. Dissolving Weapon is great for instance because it applies to all your attacks/AoOs in the round, and can be augmented, and few baddies are acid-immune.

Novawurmson
2013-11-11, 10:59 AM
What sources are you allowed - just Paizo material + Psionics Unleashed? Psionics Expanded? Path of War? In the Path of War Stalker playtest (http://dreamscarredpress.com/dragonfly/ForumsPro/viewtopic/t=2972/finish=20/start=0.html), there's Deadly Agility, a feat that should have been in the core rule book of 3.5:

Deadly Agility [Combat]
You have learned how to use your agility to greater
purpose in battle.
Prerequisites: Weapon Finesse, base attack bonus +1
Benefit: You may add your Dexterity modifier in place
of your Strength modifier when wielding a light weapon
or a weapon that gains the benefits of the Weapon
Finesse feat (such as the rapier) when determining additional
damage inflicted upon a successful attack. This
modifier to damage is not increased for two-handed
weapons, but is not reduced for off-hand weapons.

Obviously, Dervish Path is probably what you're going to be taking from level 1, but if you're taking the build to level 12, you might want to take a look at the advanced Path feats from Psionics Expanded. Advanced Dervish (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/feats/advanced-dervish-path-psionic) is nice, but Advanced Assassin (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/feats/advanced-assassin-path-psionic) would get you 3d6 sneak attack, and you'll be able to switch paths as a swift action (Twisting Path, level 12).

Acatalepsy
2013-11-11, 11:18 AM
What sources are you allowed - just Paizo material + Psionics Unleashed? Psionics Expanded? Path of War? In the Path of War Stalker playtest (http://dreamscarredpress.com/dragonfly/ForumsPro/viewtopic/t=2972/finish=20/start=0.html), there's Deadly Agility, a feat that should have been in the core rule book of 3.5:

I'd like to stick to Paizo + Psionics Unleashed, and possibly PE. Beyond that...eh. The fewer things I need to get the GM to look at, the better.

Definitely sticking with Psiwar, though. Psionics is the key feature here; I'd like to avoid sacrificing it.

There are two big problems, as I see them. One is maintaining psionic focus in combat. Even with psionic mediation, that's a move action that provokes AoO. That's all well and good for a psion who's staying well away from things that can stab them and can get by on standard actions for powers, but not for a psywarrior who is trying to get full attack actions and standing next to something that is probably trying to stab him.

The other problem is that this build, no matter how you slice it, looks to be ridiculously feat-heavy just to be functional, and this is where I'm having the most problems. This is especially true because I want to have feats left over for those delicious, delicious Expanded Knowledge feats, among other things.

Psyren
2013-11-11, 11:34 AM
There are two big problems, as I see them. One is maintaining psionic focus in combat. Even with psionic mediation, that's a move action that provokes AoO. That's all well and good for a psion who's staying well away from things that can stab them and can get by on standard actions for powers, but not for a psywarrior who is trying to get full attack actions and standing next to something that is probably trying to stab him.

Why on earth are you dropping focus at all? Your Trance is much too useful for that, it should be up at all times.

Also, I agree with Nova on grabbing the Advanced Paths, especially if you go Dervish.

Acatalepsy
2013-11-11, 11:39 AM
Why on earth are you dropping focus at all? Your Trance is much too useful for that, it should be up at all times.

Because you can use it for all sorts of stuff? If I decide that I'm going to completely ignore all the ways that I can expend focus to get things (extra damage, etc) that...simplifies my feat selection considerably...but I'm not sure that this is the right thing to do. I mean, I figure that at least some of the time, I'd rather have some effect now than have the passive bonus next turn.

My current thinking is that, if it comes to that, my action is to step back, re-focus, and then use the standard action to put a buff on myself (probably vigor or something), then throw myself back into the fray next round.

Psyren
2013-11-11, 11:45 AM
Because you can use it for all sorts of stuff?

That's what powers are for, especially when it comes to doing extra damage. No, keep your trance up and don't bother trying to refocus in melee (for exactly the reason you mentioned.) If you must do it, you can always 5-foot step.

As for "passive bonus next turn" - many Psywar powers are or can be manifested as a swift action, and for the ones that can't, you'll have Schism/Twin/Quicken eventually. You can one-shot your foe and then refocus safely once he's dead for the latter two.