PDA

View Full Version : Baleful Utterance and good Warlocks

Yogibear41
2013-11-11, 01:45 PM
Would using the Baleful Utterance be an evil act since it uses a syllable of the Dark Speech? Should a good warlock refrain from using it, especially if he has entered the enlightened spirit prestige class?

Big Fau
2013-11-11, 01:54 PM
There is no such rule in the actual Invocation that indicates it would be an evil act, and speaking the Dark Speech isn't itself evil (the feat is, but using it isn't).

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-11, 01:55 PM
Given that there's no [evil] tag, you can probably just re-fluff it and call it a day.

Tacoz
2013-11-11, 01:56 PM
This is one of the things you have to ask your DM for.
In my head, it's always good to fight fire with fire(If you know how! =P).
But for others you can only fight fire with water.
And then we have those that just use dirt!

Yogibear41
2013-11-11, 02:01 PM
Yeah the concept of the character is more or less using both his dark heritage and the powers he has been gifted by the "light/his god" if you will to fight the bad guys, merging both good and dark powers in the fight. He is CG, as well as his god.

The issue hasn't come up because the last time he used the powers he was still around level 2-3 level 9 now and there really hasn't been a situation that he has needed it in since that lower level. It was just a thought I had earlier.

Big Fau
2013-11-11, 02:16 PM
Yeah the concept of the character is more or less using both his dark heritage and the powers he has been gifted by the "light/his god" if you will to fight the bad guys, merging both good and dark powers in the fight. He is CG, as well as his god.

The issue hasn't come up because the last time he used the powers he was still around level 2-3 level 9 now and there really hasn't been a situation that he has needed it in since that lower level. It was just a thought I had earlier.

So he hasn't tried to use it to dig through walls?

CyberThread
2013-11-11, 02:21 PM
It is just a name,

bale·ful
ˈbālfəl/Submit
adjective
threatening harm; menacing.

Using this tone, think of rp that you cast demons out of folks, in the name of someone, and draw magic to banish someone. The ritual or such, could be considered baleful towards the evil doer, in the name of good.

You are muttering bad words towards something, and causing it harm or to not like it, (objects in this case). So while warlocks may get powers from the dark side, they can get it CG,(eldrion fey most likely ).

So I see nothing wrong with the words used,for the ability, you just need to understand what baleful truly means.

Psyren
2013-11-11, 02:47 PM
I would say it's your warlocky heritage that lets you get away with that one word regardless of your own alignment. Kind of like how they can't be LG.

Kane0
2013-11-11, 03:11 PM
I quote the hellfire warlock:

It is not the weapon that is evil, but the wielder.

Yogibear41
2013-11-11, 05:37 PM
So he hasn't tried to use it to dig through walls?

Believe it or not we haven't been in an actual dungeon in a long time....mostly wilderness stuff. Also my DM would probably make a cave in happen. Then again my character is a Dwarf so he has slightly more knowledge about these sorts of things than the standard person so he might be able to pull it off.