PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer Build Suggestions - Experimental Might

Tevesh
2013-11-11, 02:55 PM
One of my players doesn't have time to create a character before he shows up tonight. We're using Experimental Might rules, which basically amounts to extra HP and more feats. A feat per level, to be precise.

This guy hasn't played DnD before so I'm inclined to build him a Mailman Sorcerer. He's going to be level 14. That's 14 feats.

The only things I can think of are:
Practiced Spellcaster
Spell Penetration
Greater Spell Pen

There are also feats that make adding Metamagics a Standard Action (or usual cast time) instead of a Full Round Action. I'm having trouble finding it.

Metamagic Feats are also different, in that they're x/D instead of increasing spell level. This means that Quicken is 1/D, so after level 9 (the limit for Quicken), I'm having a hard time justifying any other feat. That'd be 5 Quickens per day.

Any suggested Spells and/or Equipment?

I know I want Arcane Fusion for level 5 and Arcane Spellsurge for level 7 (it would sadly be his only spell at that level for now). Perhaps a Feat that increases his Known Spells?

As for equipment, I'm thinking the Heward's Fortifying Bedroll, Cloak of Charisma and perhaps some Pearls of Power. Any other obvious 'duhs' that a level 14 WBL Sorc could afford?

Prestige Classes are a maaybe as well. I'm leaning away from that since they're pretty complicated in their own right.

The play ground is usually very good for this sort of thing, any help is very appreciated!

holywhippet
2013-11-11, 03:15 PM
You want rapid metamagic from complete mage. It actually makes the spell take the standard casting time which means you can use the quicken metamagic once you have it. A sorcerer can't use quicken spell otherwise.

I'm not sure how your new metamagic rules work. Quicken is helpful for rapid fire spells, but tricks like enlarge and empower are handy for blasting.

For spells and equipment you want to focus on items that make the spellcaster untouchable or really hard to hit. Forget AC at that level, go for things that will either block damage straight like stoneskin or make them effectively unhittable like greater invisibility.

For prestige classes, consider the archmage which is a staple for primary arcane spellcasters and for blasters in particular.

Tevesh
2013-11-11, 03:52 PM
I guess that means that 4 Feats gives him 3/D - Quicken AW. Not a bad way to eat up some excess.

I don't think a level 14 Sorc could be an Archmage. They'd qualify for next level... That might not be a bad idea.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-11, 04:33 PM
Heritage feats are a flavorful way to eat up unwanted feat slots.

Perturbulent
2013-11-11, 05:21 PM
Some of my favorite sorcerer spells are the immediate ones. Eating through spells doesn't hurt as much as a sorcerer.
Consider Nerveskitter, Wings of Cover, Greater Mirror Image, and permeable form.
All of these really help never being hit in an incredible way.
Also consider lovely classics like hold monster and grease which can be used all day long.

As far as feats, just make sure you have the right spells. If it takes some instances of Extra Spell...so be it.

nedz
2013-11-11, 05:25 PM
Practiced Spellcaster is only useful if he's muticlassing.

Here's (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1765181) the Mailman Handbook — should have everything you need.