PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Grab Bag Competition XX Voting Thread

Tanuki Tales
2013-11-11, 03:02 PM
{table=head]Entry|Author|1st Place|2nd Place|3rd Place|Total|MLTSP Votes|MUE Votes

Teaching Assistant (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16142693&postcount=8)|zhdarkstar|7|0|0|7|0|2

Ehmoptrus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16145263&postcount=10)|caledscratcher|0|3|2|5|1|0

The Handyman (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16147374&postcount=12)|SamBurke|0|3|1|4|0|0

The Kindred (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16181390&postcount=13)|Milo v3|0|0|1|1|1|1

Viashino (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16299939&postcount=14)|DawnbringerSO|0|9|0|9|1|0

Suffering Spectre (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16304958&postcount=15)|gr8artist|28|0|1|29|2|2[/table]

Welcome one and all to the Voting thread for the twentieth Pathfinder Grab Bag Competition! We have six wonderful entries for you to peruse over, but only one will end up taking home the gold!

Now, the way the voting for this competition works is as follows:

You receive five votes to cast.
The first three votes are to be given to the entries that you believe should come in first, second and third place respectively. First place votes are worth seven points, second place three points and third place one point each. Keep in mind that such choices should go to the entries that you believe fit most closely to the given concept of the contest and not just the entries you like the most.
The fourth vote is to be given to the entry that you believe is "Most Likely to See Play". This vote is cast for the entry that you could see yourself allowing as a DM or you could see yourself wanting to and being allowed to play at an actual game session by your DM.
The fifth vote is to be given to the entry that you believe is the "Most Unique". This vote is cast for the entry that you least expected to see made for this competition and that stands out the most compared to it's peers.
You may apply all types of votes to the same entry (but you of course cannot select the same entry for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place), but doing this does not better the chances of that entry winning anymore than if you selected three separate entries.
Once you make your vote, that's final. You can not take it back or change it. The first vote I see and tally on the scoreboard is how it will be until the end of the voting period.
Entrants are allowed to vote and can vote for their own entries if they so wish.
Please give reasoning for why you selected an entry as the recipient of any of your votes.
Please Bold your choice for each vote.
In the case of any ties I will cast the tiebreaker vote.

The voting will remain open through November 27th and the winners will be declared November 28th.

DawnbringerSO
2013-11-11, 07:21 PM
Viashino is not Caledscratcher

JoshuaZ
2013-11-11, 08:09 PM
1. Suffering Spectre
2. Viashino
3. Ehmoptrus

MLTSP: Suffering Spectre
MUE: The Kindred

There was some issue with vote 4- Although the Viashino and the Handyman are both well-done, at least most campaigns I've been in, using material connected specifically to other settings is rare. Suffering Spectre has massive versatility, opportunities for plot hooks, and interesting character ideas, so it gets 4.

The most unique seems to be the Kindred's mechanics.

Tanuki Tales
2013-11-11, 08:26 PM
Viashino is not Caledscratcher

Sorry, copy/paste error. Though please Dawnbringer, either post something like this in the discussion thread or PM me personally in the future.

gr8artist
2013-11-12, 11:36 PM
A rule from this month's competition that influenced my choices.
1. You will be creating an original Archetype or Base Class or Monster or Prestige Class or Race or Template that is based around an entry from one of the 19 previous themes that this contest has hosted thus far. This could be an archetype for a base class, a prestige class for an archetype or base class, a base class that is a compliment or nemesis to another base class or whatever inspires you. You must give credit to whatever entry (and its creator) that you use to design your own entry.
I'm not sure what entry the Handyman, Viashino, and Kindred are based on, though I deduced that the Handyman is likely built as an adversary to the False Prophet from "Gamer's Gambit" (I think that was the competition). I wish I'd noticed these things sooner, so they could be addressed. My apologies.

1st. The Teaching Assistant. Though not my favorite, it's obviously dependent on (and based on) a really good entry from the past. It fits well in the design of its predecessor, and is a good entry in its own right.
2nd. The Ehmoptrus. Thought not exactly dependent on the original entry, they share some powers, which would make it easier to track on a character sheet - which I like. You also get points for "Bombardier Beetle," you sly dog. I feel like you could have addressed the game mechanics of their biology more - double boots, or ill-fitting armor, but it's still a solid entry based on a solid entry.
3rd. The Suffering Spectre. I don't like voting for myself, but I feel like I did well this month and I feel like I followed the idea of the competition well.
Handyman gets an honorable mention, but I feel like there are some pretty scary balance issues, and the only relation to its base entry is its "Vigor Resistance"... which I feel is kinda' lackluster.
MLTSP: Viashino. I'm running a wasteland campaign soon(ish) and the Viashino might make an interesting racial choice.
MUE: Teaching Assistant. Complicated, possibly overpowered, and with more blank spaces than my last midterm, I have to say there are few entries like it.

SamBurke
2013-11-13, 07:40 PM
Suffering Spectre, first. Of course. I mean, who the flip else would get first?

Viashino, for being a very, very, complete entry. All the way down to racial weapons. I applaud you, sir.

The Handyman. I feel dirty for self-voting, but I admit I really wanna see what would happen with one of these in a fight.

Most Likely to See Play: Ehmoptrus. Despite the impossible-to-pronounce name, the dichotomy between the two races is something that I would totally use as a DM.

Teaching Assistant, Most Unique. Because the original did not get nearly enough love.

Tanuki Tales
2013-11-16, 09:14 PM
Votes tallied to here.

Tanuki Tales
2013-11-22, 12:01 PM
Giving this a bump for more votes.

SassyQuatch
2013-11-25, 06:10 PM
1. Suffering Spectre seems to be the most "complete", with many options able to fill a variety of story roles. Furthermore, it is ready to be expanded upon in a variety of new ways to die. Versatility is good.

2. Viashino also has a great deal of versatility. The race itself at first appears to be the common desert people, but the alternate traits, favored class options and racial archetypes makes this race more than just "stereotype X".

3. The Kindred has flavor. From the opening description I get the sense of what kind of creature this is and every step of the way carries through on that concept. The end result is harmonious, and that is a feat in itself.

MLTSP: The Kindred. For me, lumbering unique night stalkers just scream out for a group of adventurers to save the besieged village.

MUE: Suffering Spectre. In most bestiaries this would end up being a single creature entry and nothing more. The Spectre introduces a mechanic for which numerous encounters can be built, each one having a far greater flavor than just "X creature, but now a ghost". Usable and reusable, all without becoming mundane or repetitive.

DawnbringerSO
2013-11-26, 08:02 AM
1. Suffering Spectre: I absolutely love this entry, and I can see even further potential from it. This is only the skeleton for the framework of a larger number of execution types.

2. The Handyman: I really liked bioshock, and this entry really plays well to my tastes.

3. Ehmoptrus: I like this entry. Even though I don't play with psionics, I like insectoids.

MLTSP: Suffering Spectre. How any DM can pass up on this would be beyond me.

MUE: Suffering Spectre. What can I say? I like this entry.

Tanuki Tales
2013-11-27, 02:34 PM
Votes tallied to here.

Tanuki Tales
2013-12-01, 10:40 AM
Voting is closed (late, but real life happens) and congratulations to those who won!

1st Place - Suffering Spectre

2nd Place - Viashino

3rd Place - Teaching Assistant

Runner Up - Ehmoptrus

Most Likely to See Play - Suffering Spectre
Most Unique Entry - Teaching Assistant
Judge's Choice - Suffering Spectre