PDA

View Full Version : Is primitive caster abuse able?

CyberThread
2013-11-11, 03:03 PM
are their many spells that can be abused by primitive caster? I know some spells that don't have things, or only one bit, add in a metamagic, and elimited a factor, and you can raise the DC by +3.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-11, 03:07 PM
The only "abuse" I can think of is getting +2 CL for holy word and related spells.

Chronos
2013-11-11, 03:53 PM
Where is this from?

Karnith
2013-11-11, 03:54 PM
Where is this from?
Primitive Caster is a feat in Frostburn. It lets you add certain components (specifically verbal, somatic, or material components) to spells that don't already have them in order to increase your caster level.

erikun
2013-11-11, 04:34 PM
Right off hand, I think that a lot of Bard spells tend lack components, and so can benefit from Primitive Caster. Also, foci are not material components, so spells with (F) or (DF) can add a material component for the +1 CL. It's very nice for divine casters, who almost always use a divine focus and only occasionally a material component.

nedz
2013-11-11, 04:41 PM
So Holy Song, Dance and Symbol = Holy Word +2

Flickerdart
2013-11-11, 04:48 PM
Right off hand, I think that a lot of Bard spells tend lack components, and so can benefit from Primitive Caster. Also, foci are not material components, so spells with (F) or (DF) can add a material component for the +1 CL. It's very nice for divine casters, who almost always use a divine focus and only occasionally a material component.
All Bard spells have Vocal components, so they can't benefit as much as characters who have access to non-Vocal spells they can enhance.

Spuddles
2013-11-11, 05:07 PM
Could this and eschew material componennts be used togethe

CyberThread
2013-11-11, 05:13 PM
Yes but you will need the rare plant still

lunar2
2013-11-11, 05:14 PM
All Bard spells have Vocal components, so they can't benefit as much as characters who have access to non-Vocal spells they can enhance.

glibness is one of the few core spells without a verbal component. and many bard spells have only verbal components.

Sith_Happens
2013-11-11, 05:18 PM

How many spells without verbal components are there really? I remember looking for them once and only finding a handful totally and maybe one or two that I'd ever actually want to cast. Mind you this was just on the arcane side, divine spells might be different.

CyberThread
2013-11-11, 05:24 PM
According to a website I use 682 spells do not have a Verbal component

Chronos
2013-11-11, 05:28 PM
Almost all spells, period, have verbal components. And by the time that you're stacking this with metamagic, you're basically increasing the spell slot to increase the CL. Isn't there already a metamagic feat that does that directly?

nedz
2013-11-11, 05:33 PM
According to a website I use 682 spells do not have a Verbal component

I get 692 as an upper bound from what must be a different website :smallwink:

But that does include many duplicates and also things like IHS which it includes as spells for some reason.

Many of the swift spells have no components.

Pathagaron
2013-11-11, 05:45 PM
How about a StP erudite?

Piggy Knowles
2013-11-11, 06:20 PM
I've only ever used it on Blasphemy builds, such as Adishesha Deep-Diver (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14561258&postcount=161), but it's quite handy there.

Flickerdart
2013-11-11, 08:32 PM
How about a StP erudite?
They do not cast spells, and gain no benefit. Feats are not subject to Transparency.

Pluto!
2013-11-11, 08:38 PM
I remember it coming up in one build to add material components to spells that lack them, but I can't for the life of me remember why that was desirable. :smallconfused:

Rubik
2013-11-11, 08:49 PM
They do not cast spells, and gain no benefit. Feats are not subject to Transparency.See: Magic Mantle.

Also, binding a metamagic rod to your hands slot increases the CL of spells cast using that rod. A bound metamagic rod of Still Spell and Silent Spell, combined with Eschew Materials, means +6 CL if you use both feats on the metamagic rod along with Primitive Caster to give it V/S/M/F/DF.