PDA

View Full Version : Trying to help my players achieve a new level of power through templates

lytokk
2013-11-11, 03:04 PM
Hey, I've got a D&D 3.5 game running and I've run into a little snag. Based on a characters backstory, I thought it'd be fun to "awaken" a racial trait in her that she didn't know she had. Basically, she's a CN Sorceror half-elf. Certain things conspired in her backstory, her mom being the elf, who decided she didn't feel like dealing with a child and left. Someting that occured to me while reading the backstory, is that it doesn't seem totally within the norm for elves, but a fey, its right up their alley.

Part of the thought was to create an item/quest that would awaken some of racial abilities of fey in her, with her learning at that point that she's half-fey, not half elf. I think it fits into her character with the way she's playing it. There's just a few problems I'm running into.

The first, how to get her on the quest or what type of quest to do for this. She has this precious mug, which is the only thing she has left from her mother, so I definitely considered using this. I'm also not an expert on fey, so I don't exactly know how to involve the mug. Any advice here would be helpful.

The second problem is, what should I do for the other players? In my opinion, they need something to keep them up with her. If anyone can think of appropriate rewards for them it would also be helpful. (ways to introduce these rewards woudl be a big bonus, thinking other racial templates to apply, or bonus class abilities) Characters spoiled below for length

The Psychic Warrior
Chaotic Neutral Human. The psychic powers awakened in him, and some voice starts telling him what he should do. He thinks its a god telling him what to do, and I'm thining about using that, but I don't know what kind of template to give to a CN. Also, I don't intend on making him change his alignment to get whatever reward. My experience with psionics is unfortunately limited, and my only thought was some sort of dragon using him as a puppet, in order to bring psionics into power in the world, since they are very very few and very very far between. But I don't know if there's any psionic dragons around, maybe ones who want to ascend to godhood.

The Halfling Bard
Chaotic Good. Running away from an arranged marriage since he would end up getting married to a halfling of a warrior family. He is from a merchant family. Ended up getting cursed by a witch so that every song he sings must be dirty/suggestive. His cousin was turned into a frog who has no combat abilities or usefulness whatsoever, but is magically compelled to sing backup whenever anyone sings. Lots of hooks in there, I just have no clue where to go with them.

The Halfling Rogue
Chaotic Good. Blacksheep of the family in a family of warriors. Running away from an arranged marriage to, you guessed it, the halfling bard. Out of character, the halflings are married, and they thouht this would be fun. Hooks aplenty so I'm alright with it.

I'd like to find something that would fit everyones personality, and if there is some sort of Couple template it would be great for the halflings. What I'm trying to get together is something that will give them no more than a +1 LA, even though they won't actually get one. I'm not looking for anything that will change a character, just help them grow.

Flickerdart
2013-11-11, 03:24 PM
Hand out templates! Half-Fey is LA+2, so Phrenic for the Psywar and similar things for the others.

Also, the halflings are both running away from the same arranged marriage...together? :smallconfused:

lytokk
2013-11-11, 03:26 PM
yup, they're both using fake names, so neither of them realize it yet. They hadn't ever met each other before hand, so it works. The plan is for them to eventually fall in love anyway. They both intend on taking levels in related prestige classes, Darksong Enforcer and Infiltrator I think.

Chronos
2013-11-11, 03:47 PM
Hand out templates! Half-Fey is LA+2, so Phrenic for the Psywar and similar things for the others.

The rogue would probably benefit most from either Dark or Shadow. Dark is only a +1 LA, but it's a really good +1. Then again, Phrenic is a really good +2, so maybe you should go for Shadow after all.

lytokk
2013-11-11, 03:56 PM
Looking at Phrenic, its a bit above, power wise, what I wanted the players to have. I could water it down a bit and have it be appropriate.

the Dark Template looks alright for the rogue, just need to cook up a reason/quest for the character to get it.

I want to link the fey template I found, but its not from the SRD website, so I'm not sure if its against forum rules to post it. It was on one of the wiki sites, and there were 3 different levels of being fey-blooded.

just found it in the SRD, I was going to go for the Intermediate level of Fey-Blooded. that looked more like a 1 level adjustment, with the 2 levels they had to give up for fey, just simply ignoring that part.