PDA

View Full Version : looking for good dread necro/urpriest build

morkendi
2013-11-11, 03:22 PM
Race has to be drow. I am trying to get both sides casting as soon as possible. DM says I have to use the iron will feat and not the otuluk hole. Also said no to ToB stuff. Since urpriest takes other caster classes into account for its cl, I am trying to figure the best way to get the required saves and lose as little cl as possible.

Urpriest
2013-11-11, 04:31 PM
Simplest: Dread Necromancer 9/Ur-priest 2/Mystic Theurge 9

This one works right out of the gate.

Somewhat more complicated: Dread Necromancer 4/Mindbender 1/Ur-priest 2/Mystic Theurge 10/Arcane PrC 3

This needs a trick to get high enough CL to enter Mindbender (ask your DM if the Spellgifted Trait will work), and a high enough Int to get all the needed skill points in time. You also need a way to get charm person on to your spell list or as an SLA, which probably will require another feat and thus a Flaw.

You can replace Mindbender with any +1 casting PrC with good Fort, but few are enterable that early.

morkendi
2013-11-11, 05:58 PM
My only worry is urpriest spells coming in at 10th lvl would be so late. Its sped up progression makes up for it later. The low teens is where our group seems to have the most fun as campaign usually dies of around 15 or 16. My shadowcraft mage had the ability to break the game if wanted by this point, so DM is religating him to NPC and starting new with same world and events.

Scumbaggery
2013-11-11, 06:03 PM
If you want Necro flavor but aren't necessarily attached to the class, then going Ur-Priest into Bone Knight is always fun to do. Would look like

Something 5/Ur-Priest 2/Bone Knight 10/Something 3

If you want to be martial you can make it a mixture of Swordsage and Crusader

edit: reread OP

morkendi
2013-11-11, 09:29 PM
I hate to do it, but monk 1/ dread necro 4/ urpriest 2/ therge 8/dread necro 5 gets both sides going faster, but lose 3 caster levels in dread necro. Still end up duel 9s though. At least the monk gives the saves and a few extra skill points at first level.

Edit.. I was wrong. Lose out on nines on necro. With having to take drow, maybe I can talk DM into lesser drow template and get half fey. Everyone else is getting drow noble free. That way I can do the dread necro into mindbender.

Urpriest
2013-11-11, 09:57 PM
I hate to do it, but monk 1/ dread necro 4/ urpriest 2/ therge 8/dread necro 5 gets both sides going faster, but lose 3 caster levels in dread necro. Still end up duel 9s though. At least the monk gives the saves and a few extra skill points at first level.

Edit.. I was wrong. Lose out on nines on necro. With having to take drow, maybe I can talk DM into lesser drow template and get half fey. Everyone else is getting drow noble free. That way I can do the dread necro into mindbender.

That build needs an extra feat for Knowledge(The Planes) anyway, so you're back where you started. Might as well spend the extra feat on Arcane Disciple or the like to get Charm Person.

morkendi
2013-11-11, 11:54 PM
My DM wouldn't let me take arcane disciple to qualify as he views the flavor is wrong. You choose a god to worship to add the spell to your list, but then abandon the god to go urpriest. Doesn't sit well with him.

morkendi
2013-11-12, 08:50 AM
Thinking about it, if I was told we have to be drow, being a necro may not be optimal with the number of drow clerics. So change of plans may be conjerur into nar demon binder, then urpriest and thurge. With all the Sr and such in underdark, it would probably be better.

Vaz
2013-11-12, 09:18 AM
Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment) allows you to choose a Domain (any, not God specific) from which you can cast any spell as if you Prepared/Knew it already a select number of times before the need to recharge it.