PDA

View Full Version : Run Feat and Long distance Travel

Yogibear41
2013-11-11, 06:44 PM
I remember reading somewhere that the run feat is good for mounts in long distance travel situations, but even a mount can only run for so many rounds before it has to stop and rest. Does it really increase travel speed by that much is there a rule or something obvious I am missing somewhere?

HaikenEdge
2013-11-11, 06:48 PM
I remember reading somewhere that the run feat is good for mounts in long distance travel situations, but even a mount can only run for so many rounds before it has to stop and rest. Does it really increase travel speed by that much is there a rule or something obvious I am missing somewhere?

The Run feat only applies to tactical movement, if I recall correctly.

Yogibear41
2013-11-11, 06:50 PM
On the SRD it says that if a creature is to run and rest, run and rest, in a repeating manor it works out to be the same as a hustle. But if the run speed is faster than the normal x4? Wouldn't the hustle be faster as well?

HaikenEdge
2013-11-11, 06:54 PM
On the SRD it says that if a creature is to run and rest, run and rest, in a repeating manor it works out to be the same as a hustle. But if the run speed is faster than the normal x4? Wouldn't the hustle be faster as well?

I think that's really up to the DM; I assume running faster also eats up more energy, so they'd probably have to rest longer, but what if they also have the Endurance feat?

jindra34
2013-11-11, 06:57 PM

For long distance travel? Nope. Because for that hustle ends up going down to a move rest period that drops it to BELOW (i believe 2/3rds to be precise) regular walking once you get up to the hourly rate. Which means running needs to be up to x6 (beyond the run feat's ability) just to even out.

lunar2
2013-11-11, 07:13 PM
having a high con, or the endurance feat does much more for your overland run/rest speed than the run feat ever will.

A Tad Insane
2013-11-11, 08:47 PM
By RAW I don't think it would help. However, the desert half orc gets the run feat for free, the flavor reason being they live without horses, so they get used to going long distances on their feet, so you might be able to roleplay it that way with DM permission

lytokk
2013-11-12, 09:36 AM
Wouldn't a warforged negate any loss in movement based on resting and therefore be able to run indefinitely? Barring tripping, falling, or obstructions that is.

Story
2013-11-12, 09:49 AM
You take nonlethal damage for traveling more than 8 hours a day, but Warforged Juggernaut can fix that.

Fouredged Sword
2013-11-12, 09:50 AM
The only way I know to use the run feat for long distance travel is to use a construct or other form of creature immune to non-lethal damage and fatigue. An effigy Pegasus is a great mount for just this reason.

If you managed to get the run feat on such a creature, it would improve the movement further.

This gets into a RAW/RAI debate though, becuase the rules for overland movement state "A character can’t run for an extended period of time". Debating if this is a statement of a rule or a statement of an effect of the side effects of running is a debate for your DM.

RAW a construct suffers no penalty for extended running for hours. RAW you cannot use the run action for overland movement.

Fouredged Sword
2013-11-12, 09:53 AM
"You can run for a number of rounds equal to your Constitution score, but after that you must make a DC 10 Constitution check to continue running. You must check again each round in which you continue to run, and the DC of this check increases by 1 for each check you have made. When you fail this check, you must stop running. A character who has run to his limit must rest for 1 minute (10 rounds) before running again. During a rest period, a character can move no faster than a normal move action."

A warforged is immune to none of that. It isn't fatigue, just a flat statement that "you cannot run"