PDA

View Full Version : [Spell] Best way to get a drink from a Vogon...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-09, 02:55 PM
Purge Stomach
Necromancy
Level: Bard 1, Clr 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: S, F/DF
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

You cause the target of your spell to violently expel the contents of their stomach or equivalent. Anything they have imbibed in the last round, such as potions, poisons or nourishment is expelled into the target's space. Any affects gained from these, both beneficial or negative such as healing or ability loss, is negated in full instantly. Victims of a swallow whole attack that still live are automatically expelled into an adjacent square to the swallower.

As well, if the target attempts to imbibe any substance within the duration of the spell, their innards reject it instantly, causing them to expel the substance, gaining no benefit, and become nauseated for 1d4 rounds.

You can cast this spell with an instant thought. Casting this spell is a swift action, like casting a quickened spell, and it counts toward the normal limit of one quickened spell per round. You cannot cast this spell when it isn’t your turn.

Arcane Focus: A vial of bile.

-=-=-=-=-

Purge Stomach, Mass
Necromancy
Level: Bard 4, Clr 4, Sor/Wiz 4
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature/level, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart.

Mass purge stomach works like purge stomach, except that it affects multiple creatures.

-=-=-=-=-

Fasting Domain
Granted Power: You gain a +4 bonus to saves against poisons. If you have fasted for the last 24 hours all of these domain spells are cast at a +1 caster level.

1 Purge Stomach
2 Delay Poison
3 Undulant Innards1
4 Sustain2
5 Waves of Fatigue
6 Heal
7 Waves of Exhaustion
8 Cure Critical Wounds, Mass
9 Energy Drain

1 From Lords of Madness
2 From Book of Exalted Deeds

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-09, 03:05 PM
No, no, no. This spell should be called "Power Word Vomit". :smallwink:

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-09, 03:39 PM
Ouch...

Also just added a new domain, though not quite sure about the later powers. Suggestions are welcome.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-09, 03:41 PM
I have to laugh, at both the spell and Lord Iames' comment. Still, at the same time it's a quite useful spell, both offensively and for healing purposes. Someone's just swallowed a poison? Induce vomiting!

Since it can be used for healing purposes, can you make it a cleric spell too? Pleeeease? :smallsmile:

Edit: Ha! You ninja'd me to making a Cleric domain for it.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-09, 03:44 PM
Since it can be used for healing purposes, can you make it a cleric spell too? Pleeeease? :smallsmile:
Well... didn't really think of it as much of a healing spell, but why not.

Green Bean
2007-01-09, 03:46 PM
I can't wait to use this during the BBEG's speech!

Jibar
2007-01-09, 04:02 PM
Oh god...I can imagine it now.
"Now, you shall all be crushed by my gloriousBLAAAAAAAAARGH!"

mikeejimbo
2007-01-09, 04:12 PM
Man, I would so apply still spell to that...literally make people throw up with just a thought!

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-09, 06:13 PM
Man, I would so apply still spell to that...literally make people throw up with just a thought!
I thought alot of guys could do that already?

*ducks*

mikeejimbo
2007-01-09, 06:41 PM
Sort of, but in such cases it's in reverse... their thoughts cause it.

Actually, gives me an interesting idea for a variant: Purge Stomach, Mass

A much needed variant, might I add.

Saint George
2007-01-09, 06:47 PM
"Oh my, I am near death. Thank the gods I brougth this much needed healing potion for just this occasion."
*Drink*
*Purge*
"... dammit"

I fear the bored sorcerer that can cast this 10 times a day.

Iituem
2007-01-09, 06:56 PM
I have to say, a Mass version of that under 'Power Word: Vomit' would make a brilliant capstone to the domain... (As in, really mass. Armies throwing up.)

geez3r
2007-01-09, 07:10 PM
Does this work in a situation where "Swallow Whole" was recently used? Because that would be the most disgusting, life saving thing, ever.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-09, 07:12 PM
Does this work in a situation where "Swallow Whole" was recently used? Because that would be the most disgusting, life saving thing, ever.

Another reason it's both defensive and offensive! As well as hilarious! I have to say this is the best spell I've seen since Create Alcohol.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-09, 07:15 PM
Hey! Thats a fantastic idea. Yes, it works on that.

Ultimatum479
2007-01-09, 07:42 PM
Simply because it's a swift action, I wonder if it should be a level 2 spell...I mean, the duration is rather long.

I second the request for a Mass version, by the way.

magic8BALL
2007-01-10, 07:39 AM
...love it!

a long night at the tavern...
half orc barbarian/fighter: "...oooOOOhhh....!!!...that last barrel of ale was too much..."
gnome wizard NPC: "Instant hangonver cures! 100gp!"
half orc barbarian/fighter: "sure, why not..."
gnome wizard NPC: *cast*
half orc barbarian/fighter: "hey! gimmi back my money!!"

...you see... 1/2 my groups time spent in town is wasted on roleplaying being wasted, the other 1/2 is fighting with the DM over exactly what the penalties for a hangover are! A SOLUTION!

Peregrine
2007-01-10, 11:26 AM
Induce Eating Disorder: This spell with a permanent duration. :smalltongue:

Brilliant spell and some equally brilliant uses popping up from the respondents. During the BBEG's speech... oh that's awesome...

Winged One
2007-01-10, 12:11 PM
The rhyming focus is a nice touch.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-10, 12:22 PM
Simply because it's a swift action, I wonder if it should be a level 2 spell...I mean, the duration is rather long.

I second the request for a Mass version, by the way.
I dunno, swallowing just doesn't happen all that often in games, and most creatures that do swallow whole creatures usually have decent fortitude scores.

Anyways, added the mass version, though thats getting a little gross... :smalleek:

The rhyming focus is a nice touch.
I'm a poet and don't even know whats up.

fangthane
2007-01-10, 12:52 PM
1 minute per level for a spell which causes the target to be completely unable to drink a healing potion seems a bit overblown. Permit a fort save each time such an item is used within the spell's duration, a sort of "fighting the urge to lose containment (again)" concept, and it's fine. I'd be perfectly OK with a penalty based on the number of failures too; once you've released enough food, it's tougher to fight the dry-heaves. But with sufficient grit, it's possible to keep a small drink down.

I also question, however, whether healing results should be rescinded; I'd thought the point was that when imbibed, the potion's magical potency effected healing and was eliminated, so vomiting the non-magical residue shouldn't have an effect. I see things similarly for other magical one-shots, though ingested poisons should certainly be affected. This is one of those conceptual "mechanics behind the mechanics" things.

For some reason, these words ran through my head though... "Aim for the halfling."

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-10, 01:00 PM
1 minute per level for a spell which causes the target to be completely unable to drink a healing potion seems a bit overblown.
So instead of actually doing, oh, 2d6 damage, you are keeping them from healing themselves of 2d6. That doesn't sound all that horrendous to me. And this is assuming they have a healing potion, which the majority of opponents will not. It may keep them from drinking anything for up to several minutes, but its balanced out by the fact that gulping down healing potions, though somewhat common amongst players, is not common amongst your average encounter.

I also question, however, whether healing results should be rescinded; I'd thought the point was that when imbibed, the potion's magical potency effected healing and was eliminated, so vomiting the non-magical residue shouldn't have an effect. I see things similarly for other magical one-shots, though ingested poisons should certainly be affected. This is one of those conceptual "mechanics behind the mechanics" things.
Well, for the purpose of this I was thinking the stuff in your stomach may be healing you, but its not an instantaneous thing.

I mean, these are good suggestions, but who would want to use up a spell slot for the gimped version?

fangthane
2007-01-10, 01:39 PM
You mean the gimped version of a level 1 spell, most of which max at 5 (or like MM max at 5 'intervals' of upgrade) which I'm only gimping to the extent of making it more similar to hold person, a second-level spell which permits a save each round? :smallbiggrin:

I'd never suggest that such a spell be made worthless; far be it from me ;) It just seems a bit too powerful at low levels to be able to hose the party that easily when the orc shaman casts it on them. The mage can't cast fireblorf if he's in the middle of, well, going BLOOOOORRRRRFFFF! And when the rogues open up with their crossbows, he's toast and can't drink to save his life. All I'm saying is that if he tries to drink, he should at least get another save against the spell to try to keep it down. He might not, and he might be hosed anyhow, but he should be able to try.

Alternatively, I'd be open to the possibility for a first-level spell which provides a counter... and of course, a potion of Magnesia (50 gp) which dispels the effect and renders the imbiber immune to all such effects for 1 minute. As long as there's some way to mitigate it, the spell's OK; it's just the way it dovetails (or fails to dovetail) with existing content. With a counteragent the duration's far less daunting. I'm not sure whether making the counter an immediate action would be appropriate, but it should require ingesting a small packet of alkali salts.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-10, 01:53 PM
You mean the gimped version of a level 1 spell, most of which max at 5 (or like MM max at 5 'intervals' of upgrade) which I'm only gimping to the extent of making it more similar to hold person, a second-level spell which permits a save each round? :smallbiggrin:
You're comparing this to Hold Person, a spell that paralyzes you from doing 'anything?'

As long as there's some way to mitigate it, the spell's OK; it's just the way it dovetails (or fails to dovetail) with existing content. With a counteragent the duration's far less daunting. I'm not sure whether making the counter an immediate action would be appropriate, but it should require ingesting a small packet of alkali salts.
There are plenty of spells that get rid of nausea, or get rid of conditions or whatnot.

Lapak
2007-01-10, 02:11 PM
I have to agree that a level 1 spell that eliminates the possibility of using an entire class of magic items for the rest of the encounter seems a little too much. (The most widely-usable class of magic items, at that!) Personally, I think it would be plenty just to negate a single potion after consumption; you could effectively be wiping out a much higher level spell.

It's not insanely overpowered, but it seems a little much to me as it stands. Especially as a cleric spell; if I was an orcish shaman who might go up against other humanoids I'd definitely keep this on tap nearly all the time since I could spontaneously drop it for a heal/inflict. I'd still memorize it even if it dropped to 1 round/level, which might be enough to balance it in my opinion; creates a moderately dangerous tactical problem that could potentially be outlasted in combat rather than something that's on for good once it's on.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-01-10, 03:03 PM

No no, it should be Power Word: Bleeeeeagh...

fangthane
2007-01-10, 03:23 PM
Setting the duration as rounds per level would be another fully endorsable solution too, you're right; if a save were allowed per item imbibed while the spell was in effect, that'd be fine too, but a minutes/level duration potentially rules out a lot of options for the entire combat. The cleric, for example, probably doesn't want to lay down a Heal just to counteract a level 1 spell, but if he opts not to, people might die. Rounds per level still become nasty at higher levels, but the number of potential counteragents is much larger by that time as well. Only if a specific counteragent is readily available at low levels is this balanced for the 1-5 range though. You don't get Dispel Magic until 5th level, and this is available at 1.

Considering that a fighter with low HP and a healing potion is effectively more gimped (if affected) by this spell than by a Hold Person, situationally, I don't think the comparison's as unrealistic as you seem to be implying, VT, and some classes (bards for example) are more gimped by fort than by will, as you know... :) I agree with Lapak that it's not insanely overpowered, but it could use a little bit of polish to keep it in line with other first-level spells. The fourth level version is fine*, but the lowbie spell could be murder on a party of player characters.
*except that it should be bard level 3 rather than 4; the precedent is that any spell a bard shares with both arcane and divine casters is generally received 1 spell level lower than for a primary casting class (e.g. remove curse, scrying, break enchantment, etc). It also means that a bard character (with 18+ charisma) receives it at the same level as clerics and wizards would.

Ultimatum479
2007-01-10, 05:22 PM
The third paragraph about it being a swift action is extremely redundant and completely unecessary, really, just so you know. That's all defined in a swift action...

Fangthane spoke my worries about it being overpowered for a level 1 spell, except for the part about it being a swift action. That really bothers me most of all.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-10, 07:05 PM
You guys must be playing much differently from me...we hardly ever heal with potions. This wouldn't counter spells cast by a cleric...that's my job.

Ultimatum479
2007-01-10, 07:49 PM
It's not just potions. It's the nausea for 1d4 rounds without a save if they try to eat/drink something else during the duration. Since it's a swift action, you could cast this in the same turn as any other spell which requires a standard action to cast. So, you hit 'em with Purge Stomach at the beginning of your turn as a swift action. Then you use a telekinetic spell to throw a glass of water into their mouth. Voila. Nausea for 1d4 rounds. They need to be able to make a save against throwing up again if they eat/drink something during the duration.

I also find it very strange that throwing up when the spell is cast takes no time on the part of the target.

Oh, and don't forget this spell's usefulness against magic mushrooms (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31017).

Morty
2007-01-11, 10:22 AM
You guys must be playing much differently from me...we hardly ever heal with potions. This wouldn't counter spells cast by a cleric...that's my job.

You know, somethimes cleric might be
a) not around
b) out of spells
c) it might be cleric who's bleeding to death
d) there might be no cleric in party- I don't have one for example

Anyway, on topic: any reason why it isn't Ranger spell as well? Just curious.

Ali
2007-01-11, 10:57 AM
Nice spell!

There are so many situations in which it would be useful.

Winged One
2007-01-11, 12:50 PM
Actually, I could see this as a Druid spell too.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-11, 08:02 PM
You know, somethimes cleric might be
a) not around
b) out of spells
c) it might be cleric who's bleeding to death
d) there might be no cleric in party- I don't have one for example

Anyway, on topic: any reason why it isn't Ranger spell as well? Just curious.

Yeah, I actually wish they would buy some potions, but still, it always turns out to be my job.

TheOOB
2007-01-11, 11:05 PM
I think you should write in there that the target knows that they can't safely imbide anything while under the effects.

I would also allow a new fort save for each new item consumed, if anything it will make others more likely to try and eat/drink something...then fail.